Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 05, 2024, 08:20:26 am

Author Topic: Weight training  (Read 24136 times)  Share 

Hutchoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Mate.
  • Respect: +218
Re: Weight training
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2012, 05:05:04 am »
taiga, you know how you were talking about trying to get AN members supplements for cheaper (somehow?), is that still happening? D; I wana get me some good ol' protein.

Also, what are your thoughts on back extensions? I want to get a stronger lower back, but I don't want to do deadlifts (for a few reasosn that I cbb explaining atm), should I stick to back extensions. Can you even get a stronger lower back, lulz?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:11:36 am by Hutchoo »

kensan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Do you even lift?
  • Respect: +20
  • School: L.C.
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2012, 08:54:32 am »
If I were just starting out I would actually only use machine weights for a month or so. I think you should get your body used to resistance training with machine weights and then gradually add in free weights. You can injure yourself if you are not using proper form. Instructors won't be available for the whole time your working out so that is why I say gradually introduce free weight exercise, maybe learn a new one each time you go there.
Read lots or articles, knowledge is key
2013: BSc at UoM

gymsesh

« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2012, 01:35:11 pm »
If I were just starting out I would actually only use machine weights for a month or so. I think you should get your body used to resistance training with machine weights and then gradually add in free weights. You can injure yourself if you are not using proper form. Instructors won't be available for the whole time your working out so that is why I say gradually introduce free weight exercise, maybe learn a new one each time you go there.
Read lots or articles, knowledge is key
A trainer does not need to be there all the time, they need only to teach the lifts relevant to the program undertaken, this can easily be done within a one hour session. Machines are and probably will always be inferior to free weights, they force the body into unnatural movements which are more likely to cause injury, on top of the fact they are far inferior for gaining strength and mass.

kensan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Do you even lift?
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2012, 02:09:46 pm »
Yeah I agree that free weights are much better, they are also better because your body needs to recruit stabilizing muscles, in turn putting on more muscle.
I don't really think machines force you into unnatural motions either, depends on the maker I guess.
I was just suggesting using machine weights to start off with to just get used to lifting heavy things, because that's what I did :)

gymsesh

« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2012, 03:57:20 pm »
Yeah I agree that free weights are much better, they are also better because your body needs to recruit stabilizing muscles, in turn putting on more muscle.
I don't really think machines force you into unnatural motions either, depends on the maker I guess.
I was just suggesting using machine weights to start off with to just get used to lifting heavy things, because that's what I did :)
Yer i can see what your getting at, but just lift lighter free weights, it doesn't make sense to use a machine to get stronger at doing the task of free weights when you should just be doing the task in the beginning. Additionally, getting used to the movements with lighter weights will be much more beneficial to your safety than trying to get strong on a machine and then trying to transfer it over to free weights .

Hutchoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Mate.
  • Respect: +218
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2012, 05:47:34 pm »
@kenoy: There are machines for your lower back?

xD. I go to the gym with my dad and he used to be a personal trainer back in the day =)
He's still fit as well, low BF %, 6 pack etc. I also used to go the gym a lot, and I know a lot of things as well :P I was just wondering what people on VN would think about lower back exercises :D.

btw. I am used to resistance training.

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2012, 05:52:08 pm »
+2
taiga, you know how you were talking about trying to get AN members supplements for cheaper (somehow?), is that still happening? D; I wana get me some good ol' protein.

Also, what are your thoughts on back extensions? I want to get a stronger lower back, but I don't want to do deadlifts (for a few reasosn that I cbb explaining atm), should I stick to back extensions. Can you even get a stronger lower back, lulz?

Yeah I'm having a chat to these guys in the near future (they're already pretty much the cheapest on the market), so I'll see if I can get you fellas a little bit more of a discount off what's there.
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

kensan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Do you even lift?
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2012, 09:56:00 pm »
@kenoy: There are machines for your lower back?

I have seen one at fitness first, like this

And also, all that stuff about starting out was directed at fletch-j haha, sorry.

abd123

« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2012, 10:19:15 pm »
+2
Deadlifts can build your lower back (or erector spinae). It's a really good excercise. Yes, you guys are right that deadlifts are dangerous the more dangerous the better it is to build more amounts of muscles mass e.g. standing military press, clean/jerk, power cleans, squats, bench, bent over rows, but it can strengthen your lower back to a whole new level unlike those lame lower back extensions or machine.

Deadlifts gives you that lower back thickness also. It should be implemented to any resistance routine, in my opinion.

Pic of doing deadlifts ~ lower back.

Keo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2012, 10:30:20 pm »
+1
+1 on deadlifts, great exercise
not dangerous if you can do it properly
also works your whole body and feels great when you lift a heavy ass weight off the floor like that imo
2010: Health Human Development, Cisco
2011: English, Math methods, Chemistry, Further maths, Biology

ENTER Aim: 90+

[img width=57 height=10]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;133/st/20111114/e/until+non-stop+partying/dt/14/k/ee34/event.png[/img]