Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 05, 2024, 03:30:40 am

Author Topic: Cardio  (Read 6924 times)  Share 

Hodgeyhodgey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
  • School: Sebastopol Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Cardio
« on: December 10, 2011, 04:21:44 pm »
+1
For cardio how does everyone feel about running? In particular the Couch to 5k program? I've just finished week 3 and I'm getting started with a weight program that I've adapted from one off of bb.com, if I keep up with it hopefully I'll see some results in the next month or two.
2010/11: Further Math|Accounting|BusMan|Englang|Economics|Physics [90.65]
2012-2014: Commerce @ Deakin

JellyDonut

• charlie sheen of AN
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +59
Re: Cardio
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 05:04:53 pm »
+2
Read up on HIIT if you're concerned about inducing catabolism. I think the problem is largely overstated as the only negative impact I felt was that it impeded my lifitng performance.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 05:10:04 pm by JellyDonut »
It's really not that hard to quantify..., but I believe that being raped once is not as bad as being raped five times, even if the one rape was by a gang of people.

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 09:40:30 pm »
+1
I'm fairly against steady state running, I think it's a very old and inefficient way of losing weight. The other problem I have with it is that it loses weight, not necessarily fat.

You'll notice that the muscles of a sprinter and the muscles of a long distance runner vary dramatically, and I think it's to do with what you use your body for. If you want to run long distances, it's easier if you're lightweight, and muscle presence isn't really required.

Definitely look up interval training for cardio (HIIT or tabata) , it's a lot more fun, it's more muscle sparing, saves you a heap of time, and causes you to have an increased metabolism long after you've finished exercising.

Also yeah, rowing and cross trainers are the best way to go for cardio IMO, otherwise setting up a circuit is also very good. You're using a lot of different muscles on your body, and you can actually experience strength gains in the early days of rowing.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:45:49 pm by taiga »
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

kensan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Do you even lift?
  • Respect: +20
  • School: L.C.
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 12:04:32 am »
My friend plays soccer and he is mega-ripped, due to walking around then sprinting, walking, sprinting etc.
I agree as, well rowing and elliptical are great cardio options, better than running. If your doing rowing do like 100m at and easy pace, then the next 100 going hard for like 15 minutes.
Make sure your diet is in check too.

edit: Wait was this the same question in the weight training thread?  :o
2013: BSc at UoM

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 12:12:47 am »
+4
Yeah , split into two because I decided a fitness subsection in sport would be good.

ex admin/mod/partner

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 12:22:06 am »
Running long distances will help enhance things such as your stroke volume and VO2 max, but on the other hand it doesn't always necessarily aid in losing fat. I think it is best to do interval and fartlek training to lose weight and gain muscle mass. Using the two hand-in-hand can be very beneficial, though.

(My opinion anyway, only based of the small things I can remember from Yr 11 P.E. and personal training through football - Possibility of not being entirely correct)
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 01:01:00 am »
HIIT is just as good for raising your VO2 Max isn't it?

ex admin/mod/partner

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 01:51:26 am »
HIIT is just as good for raising your VO2 Max isn't it?
I believe so, yes.

I was just saying (in a poor manor manner - poor 1 am spelling :p) what middle-long distance running can aid in, but why it is usually insufficient compared to fartlek/interval training, especially for weight loss.

I just usually prefer doing both, because the middle-long distance is sort of like a more peaceful/casual rest for me, compared to the interval training.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 11:52:13 am by Phy124 »

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 09:36:45 pm »
+1
You read that a lot, but it's a heap more tiring than that of a slow paced walk (which is also 240-300 cals/hour).

I don't think anyone's actually gone and calculated it :P

ex admin/mod/partner

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 10:12:47 am »
Yeah , split into two because I decided a fitness subsection in sport would be good.

<3
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 11:52:39 am »
High intensity interval training (HIIT) is really good.

I start up with 7km/h on the treddy for brisk walking for 5mins, go to 9 and do fast fast walking for 2mins , back to 7 for 3mins, then to 10, back to 7, then to 14, back to 7 then to 16. (sprinting ya)

all this takes round about 30mins.
2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 05:02:34 pm »

I start up with 7km/h on the treddy for brisk walking for 5mins, go to 9 and do fast fast walking for 2mins , back to 7 for 3mins, then to 10, back to 7, then to 14, back to 7 then to 16. (sprinting ya)

Do you feel that you need to run a lot faster (or rather, move your legs faster - take more steps) on the treadmill rather than on 'non-moving' surfaces at the same speed.

When I run on the treadmill at 18 I feel as though I am almost sprinting but when on an athletic track, grass or concrete it is much easier to run at 18 km/h.

2012-2017

Current

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 05:20:18 pm »

Do you feel that you need to run a lot faster (or rather, move your legs faster - take more steps) on the treadmill rather than on 'non-moving' surfaces at the same speed.

When I run on the treadmill at 18 I feel as though I am almost sprinting but when on an athletic track, grass or concrete it is much easier to run at 18 km/h.

Yeah,  I dunno the science behind it tho :p i guess it's because the forced speed and movement of the carpet makes your body work in conjunction with the treadmill.  And this is unnatural so you have to work harder to match the treadmill.  There'll always be imprecisions with machines :p i
2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

MeLucky

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 05:33:14 pm »
The best way to burn calories in my opinion are high intensity cardio circuits as opposed to running at a constant speed which I don't believe is very effective. They cause your muscles to work alot harder and they burn more calories in a shorter time as well.
Bleh.

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 06:04:47 pm »

Yeah,  I dunno the science behind it tho :p i guess it's because the forced speed and movement of the carpet makes your body work in conjunction with the treadmill.  And this is unnatural so you have to work harder to match the treadmill.  There'll always be imprecisions with machines :p i
Sweet, I'm not a weirdo, I have a feeling that for it's also because I'm afraid to take large steps in case I go of the back of the treadmill and make a hole in the wall behind me, therefore I take short steps, hence more movement and working harder to go the same distance.

2012-2017

Current