Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 29, 2024, 05:02:39 pm

Author Topic: Why do people favour elite schools?  (Read 24007 times)  Share 

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
Re: Why do people favour elite schools?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 01:25:33 pm »
I'm glad I went to a private school because it offered me a fantastic musical education (one year's free tuition on an instrument of my choice in year 7, orchestras/ensembles/choirs, myriad concerts, etc.), which I don't think most public schools have.

It wasn't a hyper-competitive place like I'd imagine MHS or Mac.Rob would be, but there was enough of it to keep me on my toes. My school wasn't "elite" academically but we'd have at least one 99.90 or 99.95 each year.

We had some excellent teachers, which some public schools unfortunately just can't afford, e.g. my English teachers all had law degrees (overkill much?)

I don't think I would have done as well at a public school because I just lack that self-motivation, so in my case, yes a private school was instrumental in helping me to succeed.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 01:26:01 pm »
the best public schools are probably not far behind the best private schools in my opinion.

yes because they're selective
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

JellyDonut

• charlie sheen of AN
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 06:08:32 pm »
$3.50 for my local library card, borrowed books when I needed them to supplement my textbooks and teachers.
Do you also work as a janitor at MIT?
It's really not that hard to quantify..., but I believe that being raped once is not as bad as being raped five times, even if the one rape was by a gang of people.

aes_999

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 06:13:32 pm »
People favour elite schools due to prestige, the same way as why IN GENERAL, people rate Melbourne Uni higher than Monash. That, and usually the range of facilities & corricular activities offered in elite schools. That being said, it's up to your own abilities and motivation to get a high academic score.
B.Comm / B.Eco @ Monash 2012 - 2015

Research Assistant, Faculty of Business and Economics, Monash University

Sellingman

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: -11
  • School: Kentsington
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 06:24:06 pm »
$3.50 for my local library card, borrowed books when I needed them to supplement my textbooks and teachers.

:)
- Feel free to PM me, I'm friendly and happy to help or refer you to someone who can :)

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 06:27:45 pm »
To me it depends on what job you're after. If you need the high 90 ATAR then go to an elite school, and vice versa.

My ATAR this year was 85.70 which is fairly high in my public school. However, the environment I believe had a significant influence on my score. Not to sound cocky but I can't explain how hard it was to find motivation when you're constantly surrounded by people who couldn't care.

Do I regret going to a below average school? Absolutely not. It was enough for me to get into my course and I still received a decent education. In all honesty, I think going to a good university is more important in the long run.
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 06:36:34 pm »
LOL! I was watching Good Will Hunting last night :p

Anway I partially agree to both sides here. Even in a public school, if a student is motivated enought to try hard and aim high, then they will do well, (i.e. like me, don't have much but was able to get 97.75 this year, although AN might have contributed to that. Also had a mate in a similar situation that was able to achieve a 98.xx). But private schools do appear to have more resources, the ability to use more of the potential of the student. The amount that a private school will help a student over a public school will vary, if you've "got it", then you will do well anywhere with the private school giving you a slightly higher school. For others, the private school atmosphere may work better and they will have a larger difference in what they would achieve at a private school to a public school.

In the end in a public school it comes down to wether or not you can put off all the distracts and motivate yourself to work hard (it does happen). But for some going to a private school won't make a large difference.

If only education was equal and fair.
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

s...

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 06:53:32 pm »
hey, please don't forget the kids who get schlorships into the private schools, and work rediciously hard to keep their place there.

Anyway, there are always slackers in private schools. But the careers person just tells them to not go for maths and science subjects, which is a bit mean. :(

s.
"I failed my way to success." - Thomas Edison.

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 07:47:33 pm »
Something I forgot to mention. There was a 99.95 from someone at St.Albans secondary college this year (western suburbs :))). So it can be done.
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 08:22:59 pm »
the best public schools are probably not far behind the best private schools in my opinion.

no, i meant non-select entry (so like my school for example)

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 08:26:18 pm »

no, i meant non-select entry (so like my school for example)

Scotch or MGS or CGS or Haileybury are far better than GWSC or Balwyn or UHS imo

chocolatedaddy

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2011, 08:39:41 pm »
Are select entry schools better than top tier private schools. I went to a private primary school at its standars was rubbish(Fractions in Year 6), so I might be a bit bias but public schools seem to provide better education based on content rather environment.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 08:44:09 pm »
I went to a private primary school at its standars was rubbish(Fractions in Year 6)

Public primary schools are the same, if not worse lol

chocolatedaddy

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 08:47:53 pm »
Not true. 4 of my freinds went to a public primary school and they are 4 of the smartest people I know. One has been dux of school 2 years running.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 08:50:32 pm by chocolatedaddy »

Reckoner

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +60
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 08:51:42 pm »
Out of the two best in my year at school (private), one went to a private primary school, the other a public. I don't think that the primary school has a drastic effect on the performance of the student in their later schooling years, from a strictly results perspective at least.