Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 05:22:12 am

Author Topic: Q/A and advice for 2012/Future VCE Japanese Students  (Read 133451 times)  Share 

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
Re: Q/A and advice for 2012/Future VCE Japanese Students
« Reply #255 on: March 19, 2015, 05:29:41 pm »
Thanks so much for the advice/help AngelWings! :) I'll definitely put them into action!

Also, can anyone explain how you attribute counters to nouns?

e.g. If I wanted to say two books would I just use the を particle and say 本を二さつです。

What about for relating counters to people and living things?

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #256 on: April 02, 2015, 06:02:24 pm »
Would it be correct to say that the words こちら、そちら、あちら、どちら have three sets of meanings?

The first one set of meaning being in terms of direction:  this direction/that direction/that direction over there/which direction?

And the second meanings being the polite form of これ、それ、あれ、どれ?

And lastly the third meanings, being the polite form of ここ、そこ、あそこ、どこ?

Also, for the set of words: これら、それら、あれら would the question word be どれら?

:) Thankyou

Deshouka

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • お互いに頑張ろう!
« Reply #257 on: April 02, 2015, 06:45:26 pm »
Would it be correct to say that the words こちら、そちら、あちら、どちら have three sets of meanings?

The first one set of meaning being in terms of direction:  this direction/that direction/that direction over there/which direction?

And the second meanings being the polite form of これ、それ、あれ、どれ?

And lastly the third meanings, being the polite form of ここ、そこ、あそこ、どこ?

Also, for the set of words: これら、それら、あれら would the question word be どれら?

:) Thankyou

The question word or plural form of どちらis actually どれ.
でも、僕が知っている限りでは「どれら」は言葉じゃないと思います。
Willing to help out with anything Japanese! :)

jibba

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • 日本のミカタ
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #258 on: April 03, 2015, 11:37:42 am »
+2
@Razz

Great understanding! You're right. It's a little confusing with どちら because it also has the meaning of polite form of where.

どれ also has the meaning of which of three and どちら has the meaning of which of two.

as said before どれら doesn't exist.

I wouldn't worry too much bout the polite forms at this stage, mainly the different between which of three and which of two.

2011: Japanese SL [50] ATAR: 99.40
2012-2017: Arts/Law at Monash
My Japanese Advice Thread Q/A and advice for 2012/Future VCE Japanese Students
2013: Currently tutoring VCE Japanese. JLPT N2
2014: Exchange to Hitotsubashi University, Japan (April - August) & Seoul National University (September - December). JLPT N1
2017: Tutoring VCE Japanese/Offering VCE Japanese notes email : [email protected]

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #259 on: April 04, 2015, 10:00:34 pm »
Thanks Jibba and Deshouka! :)

Is ううん the casual way of saying いいえ in Japanese?

:) Thanks

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #260 on: April 04, 2015, 10:29:04 pm »
+1
Thanks Jibba and Deshouka! :)

Is ううん the casual way of saying いいえ in Japanese?

:) Thanks

Yes.
And うん is casual for 'yes'.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2015, 09:22:43 am »
Thanks Fyrefly! :)

In my textbook (Wakatta) for the そう pattern to describe how things look/sound it says:

"If you are looking directly at something or someone and it is obvious what it or he/she is like then you will not use the そう pattern. If you are looking at a cute baby, you would not use そう and say the baby looks cute because everyone can see that the baby actually is cute."

This confused me. Then when would it be okay to use そう to describe what something looks like? Is it only when you are not directly looking at the object?

But then one of the example sentences given in the book is: けんたろうくんのお父さんはうれしそうでした。In this case wouldn't the speaker have to be looking directly at Kentarou's father to comment on what he looks like?

Any explanations would be great :)

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #262 on: April 05, 2015, 12:12:20 pm »
If I wanted to say: " My grandmother gave my sister flowers" would the correct word to use be くれる?

Deshouka

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • お互いに頑張ろう!
« Reply #263 on: April 05, 2015, 01:12:44 pm »
If I wanted to say: " My grandmother gave my sister flowers" would the correct word to use be くれる?

Yep! A good way to remember is that when a more distant person gives you or a closer person something, its くれる。
Willing to help out with anything Japanese! :)

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #264 on: April 05, 2015, 01:59:33 pm »
+1
Thanks Fyrefly! :)

In my textbook (Wakatta) for the そう pattern to describe how things look/sound it says:

"If you are looking directly at something or someone and it is obvious what it or he/she is like then you will not use the そう pattern. If you are looking at a cute baby, you would not use そう and say the baby looks cute because everyone can see that the baby actually is cute."

This confused me. Then when would it be okay to use そう to describe what something looks like? Is it only when you are not directly looking at the object?

But then one of the example sentences given in the book is: けんたろうくんのお父さんはうれしそうでした。In this case wouldn't the speaker have to be looking directly at Kentarou's father to comment on what he looks like?

Any explanations would be great :)

Context is everything here. The speaker may have seen him indirectly, like a photo or something, I guess, or just made a guess from what Kentarou or some other person has said. For example, if I said my father's strict (not that he is), and you paraphrased it into "Angel Wings' father seems strict.", the only evidence would be from hearsay, but you would not have actually seen my father. Does that make sense?
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #265 on: April 05, 2015, 03:26:48 pm »
Yes that makes a lot of sense! Thanks so much AngelWings for the explanation! :)

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #266 on: April 08, 2015, 09:03:49 pm »
I'm a bit confused with tense!

If I needed to use the よう grammar pattern to say: "They don't seem to be married" what tense would my verb before the よう be in?

Would it be correct to say: あの人たちは、けっこんしていないようです?

Also if in general, I had : verb positive plain present form + よう does that mean "seems I/they will do *insert verb*  " ?

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #267 on: April 13, 2015, 06:23:38 pm »
I don't quite understand the usage of 'Verb dictionary form + のに ' to emphasise  the means or lack of means for achieving a purpose. (As explained by Wakatta textbook!)

Some example sentences and their translations which have been given are:

着物を着るのにじかんがかかる。It takes time to put on a kimono.

車を買うのにお金がたりない。I don't have enough money to buy a car.

Is it similar to the ために pattern?

:) Any help would be appreciated!

jesterino

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #268 on: April 13, 2015, 10:44:10 pm »
Hey guys, I'm in desperate need of help when it comes to essay writing. I have a solid grasp of the grammar patterns and vocabulary however when the time comes to writing, I can't string together a sentence that is, you could say, up to par with Japanese 3/4. The entire essay ends up being very robotic and formulaic, consisting of statements after statements which lack the "flow" and cohesion that would be present in a conversation or an email. Its strange but honestly, I just don't know what to write or even how to start, no matter the topic. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #269 on: April 14, 2015, 12:42:49 pm »
Hey guys, I'm in desperate need of help when it comes to essay writing. I have a solid grasp of the grammar patterns and vocabulary however when the time comes to writing, I can't string together a sentence that is, you could say, up to par with Japanese 3/4. The entire essay ends up being very robotic and formulaic, consisting of statements after statements which lack the "flow" and cohesion that would be present in a conversation or an email. Its strange but honestly, I just don't know what to write or even how to start, no matter the topic. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Try reading really easy Japanese novels/books/articles/written things on the internet. Use Lang-8 and make a few story-like entries and ask for advice on cohesion and composition. The best thing you can do is read it or just in general be exposed to Japanese and take notice of the flow or how things are expressed. I'm personally against 'grammar patterns' because I think it's treating a language too much like a mathematical formula - and as such there is that lack of 'flow' or the artistic element that all languages have.
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?