Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 05, 2024, 01:08:47 pm

Author Topic: Year 12 Class of 2013, REPORT HERE!  (Read 450838 times)  Share 

HossRyams

• Forum Obsessive
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: Year 12 Class of 2013, REPORT HERE!
« Reply #2625 on: September 22, 2013, 05:51:58 pm »
Wow. That's really awesome. I wish I can get a scholarship too.
As for the second part of the question, I'm not sure yet what Arts subjects I want to do. I'm thinking of doing French but that's all I've decided for now? How about you?

I definitely want to study languages - well two actually, but I'm worried if I'm being insane. I've been thinking Chinese/German but I feel like I should continue Japanese since I've learn it for a while...
I don't want to do too many content heavy subjects alongside law, so preferably only languages. I think. <_>

Brenden recommends philosophy And Human Rights Theory

Haha I'm so over philosophy after doing VCE and UMEP Philosophy concurrently x___x
Arts & Law student @ Monash.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
« Reply #2626 on: September 23, 2013, 01:55:54 pm »
What does the Melb phil course cover?
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

HossRyams

• Forum Obsessive
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #2627 on: September 24, 2013, 12:44:10 am »
What does the Melb phil course cover?

First semester you cover 3 topics: Personal Identity, Ethics and Epistemology. 2/3 of the lecturers were really great, one not so much. I enjoyed this one. We had around 6-7 extracts of readings for each topic.

Second semester might be a drainer because the lecturer chooses to never use powerpoints and all his lectures are pretty much him reading out notes he's written before... But we cover 4 major philosophers all together, but look at a fair bit of their work. We covered Plato and Descartes, just started Hume and will be doing Kant after.

UMEP is great actually, but it's probably doing it alongside VCE and being half of my subjects (while the other two also contain essay components) make my head spin - I now see why they don't recommend doing VCE 3/4 alongside UMEP (they don't allow VCE 3/4 alongside MUEP Philosophy).

I should also probably note to students who are thinking of taking it (hello syjayne), your assessments are marked on a bell curve so your essays will be compared to other uni students - and there are some real keen beans in the philosophy department. That's not to scare you, but getting 5.0 in an Arts subject is pretty damn difficult because of the bell curve. But if you're keen too then nothing will stop you LOL :D
Arts & Law student @ Monash.