Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 05, 2024, 04:28:13 pm

Author Topic: Need help developing a program  (Read 2472 times)  Share 

aiming_95

Need help developing a program
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:41:34 pm »
So guys I'm a real newbie when it comes to gym and working out, and I need help developing a program.

Today was my first day at the gym and I didn't know what the hell to do, I just literally jumping from machine to machine.

So what do I need to learn ? how many body parts do I work out a day ? when I work out on a body part how many reps and sets do I need to do ?

Oh yeh, and my aims are to lose 4-5 kilos and 'ripped' or lean.

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
Re: Need help developing a program
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 02:29:22 am »
Before anyone helps you with any of that, what are you eating?
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

aiming_95

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 11:10:54 am »
Not really sticking to a diet, just trying to avoid eating junk more than anything.

kensan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Do you even lift?
  • Respect: +20
  • School: L.C.
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 05:06:20 pm »
+1
Way too much to explain in one post, there is so much knowledge to know about.
Maybe ask someone working at the gym to help you around for the first few weeks, to show you how to do exercises properly and that. If you don't know what you are doing you could easily injure yourself.
Basically compound exercises need to find their way into your program.
These are
-Bench press
-Pull ups
-Shoulder press
-Dead-lifts
-Squats

Then of course you can put in isolation exercises like bicep curls, tricep kickback, leg extension etc. Always start your workout with the compound exercises though.
If your starting out I would suggest having a full upper body day, then rest, then legs/core day, rest, then another upper body day. So you might hit the gym Monday, Wednesday, Friday. People will give you other types of starter programs, you just need to chose what suits you best, I'm just giving you a general idea. After a few months you can experiment with split day workouts (like doing biceps and back on Monday, triceps/chest Wednesday).
You can start off with 3 sets of around 8-12 reps per exercise, you can experiment with those though, they are just a general starting point I guess. 8-12 reps is ideal for muscle growth.
But yeah, there is lots of info on the internet you can read as well.
And don't over do it, you need your rest days
2013: BSc at UoM

JellyDonut

• charlie sheen of AN
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 05:00:28 pm »
+2
Newbies (I don't mean this in a patronizing way) don't really need to concern themselves with designing a routine. There are quite a few of beginner programs readily available:
Starting Strength
Strong Lifts 5x5
Bill Starr 5x5
Westside for Skinny Bastards

The first 3 are essentially the same in that they are squat heavy and fixed whereas the last one is programmed for people playing a sport, an upper/lower body split and has a lot of leeway in terms of exercise. The usual formula is to transition to a 4/5 day split or an intermediate routine. once you're at a decent level. Personally, I don't really enjoy the idea of dedicating an entire day for just one part of my body and I prefer to work on building strength as opposed to mass (I know they are not mutually exclusive but whatever).

Here's a good FAQ from /fit/, before they replaced it with Harsh's shitty worksheet
http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:04:48 pm by JellyDonut »
It's really not that hard to quantify..., but I believe that being raped once is not as bad as being raped five times, even if the one rape was by a gang of people.

gymsesh

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 09:50:22 pm »
Newbies (I don't mean this in a patronizing way) don't really need to concern themselves with designing a routine. There are quite a few of beginner programs readily available:
Starting Strength
Strong Lifts 5x5
Bill Starr 5x5
Westside for Skinny Bastards

The first 3 are essentially the same in that they are squat heavy and fixed whereas the last one is programmed for people playing a sport, an upper/lower body split and has a lot of leeway in terms of exercise. The usual formula is to transition to a 4/5 day split or an intermediate routine. once you're at a decent level. Personally, I don't really enjoy the idea of dedicating an entire day for just one part of my body and I prefer to work on building strength as opposed to mass (I know they are not mutually exclusive but whatever).

Here's a good FAQ from /fit/, before they replaced it with Harsh's shitty worksheet
http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html

+1. All good programs and a very good approach for a beginner.

abd123

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 10:24:36 pm »
I'd go with Jelly donut and Kenoy.

Taiga is right about sort of diet you are on.

If i were to lose weight push my carbs and lessen into two meals and have the other three meals with no carbs at all.

Brings me back in the days were I went crazy eating 4 cans of tuna a day lol, and I didn't know how much mercury was in it, but now I'm very aware of the mercury it scares me off.

Hutchoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Mate.
  • Respect: +218
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 12:50:55 am »

If i were to lose weight push my carbs and lessen into two meals and have the other three meals with no carbs at all.

Brings me back in the days were I went crazy eating 4 cans of tuna a day lol, and I didn't know how much mercury was in it, but now I'm very aware of the mercury it scares me off.

D===. I eat like 1 can of 185g tuna a day... should I stop?
I eat it with lunch with a couple of veggies.

kensan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Do you even lift?
  • Respect: +20
  • School: L.C.
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 04:30:20 pm »
I wouldn't really worry about it, 4 tuna cans is like 380g total haha.
If your worried then you could cut it down but 2 cans a day is fine I think.
2013: BSc at UoM

abd123

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 06:58:49 pm »

D===. I eat like 1 can of 185g tuna a day... should I stop?
I eat it with lunch with a couple of veggies.
Two cans should be enough for a day, bro. Mercury poisons.

I have (brown rice, chicken and broccoli all together) for lunch, almond nuts (sometime peanut butter sandwich) for recess and also a apple for recess.

@Aiming95, don't worry about dropping your weight, just don't worry about going on a clean bulk, trust me bro.

What I mean by a clean bulk is that you still eat over maintenance but a long with a lean meat and a fibrous vegetable and whole grains.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 07:01:07 pm by abd123 »