Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 05, 2024, 11:27:13 am

Author Topic: Creatine ??  (Read 2323 times)  Share 

aiming_95

Creatine ??
« on: March 06, 2012, 10:48:02 am »
So, I've heard a bit about Creatine and had a few questions about it.

How does it differ from a normal protein powder ?

Do you take it before or after a workout ?

What exactly does it do and hows does it help ?

kensan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Do you even lift?
  • Respect: +20
  • School: L.C.
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Creatine ??
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 05:10:56 pm »
+1
Well creatine and protein powder are different things for different uses. Protein powder just supplement macros needed to get your daily amount of protein (Carbs, fats, protein). It helps with muscle recovery and also to build new muscle tissue.

Creatine on the other hand is used to 'make' more energy with anaerobic exercises. Like you wouldn't use creatine for a marathon, but for something that needs short bursts of energy, like weight training.

Basically you have ATP, and when it gets used during exercise it becomes ADP. Your body can't make ATP fast enough for use within a short period, so the creatine aids in this. I'm pretty sure the creatine turns to creatine phosphate when it gets saturated into your muscles, and the ADP takes the phosphate off the creatine and can be used again. The result is the person being able to push out 1 or 2 more reps than they can usually do.

When to take? Hard to say, it's been debated a lot, no concrete evidence as to when is most effective. Personally I don't think it is that critical, you take it, it gets to your muscles and is used when needed. I take it post workout.

You thinking of trying it?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:14:39 pm by kenoy »
2013: BSc at UoM

aiming_95

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 02:26:52 am »
Don't mind me asking, but what's the point of taking it post-workout when it helps you go that 'extra mile' ?

Ajsguns

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 05:21:08 am »
Don't mind me asking, but what's the point of taking it post-workout when it helps you go that 'extra mile' ?

5g either pre/post workout its 5:16am so i can't be bothered explaining how it works :P it essentially gives you more power for your lifts, the longer/more weight on your muscles the more growth.
If you get some make sure its Creapure Mono no loading phase.

OT - I see you go to CAE whos your english teacher, don't suppose its Meridith?

kensan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Do you even lift?
  • Respect: +20
  • School: L.C.
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 09:37:38 am »
Because it stays in your muscles until it's needed, pretty sure that's how it works.
2013: BSc at UoM

Ajsguns

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 02:31:18 pm »
Because it stays in your muscles until it's needed, pretty sure that's how it works.

Yeah pretty much It stores in muscles as creatine phosphate (hence making timing irrelevant) which quickly replenishes ATP.  Could take up to 6 weeks before your muscles are saturated with creatine.

observer7

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 03:32:30 pm »
My impressions of creating is that while you're taking it, it allows the store of extra water/fluids in your muscles. Meaning that you look bigger... And when you stop taking it, it will go.
That's in addition to the energy boost...
Could be wrong
Finished in 2011. Business 50. ATAR 96

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 04:12:29 pm »
+1
@observer7, creatine boosts short-burst energy generation. It has the side effect of increasing body mass (via increasing glycogen storage in muscles), but ultimately it's to facilitate higher energy output during burst exercise.

Interesting, I looked up the plasma kinetics of creatine (Cr), this is what I can gather:

- It generally takes ~1 week for Cr to saturate in muscle and plasma
- Muscle Cr saturates at +50% of typical baseline value of a normal diet.
- For a 70kg adult, the normal creatine total is about 180g, for saturated is about 270g.
- When saturated, ingestion of 17.5 g/day is accompanied by excretion of ~13 g/day of creatine and >2.5 g/day of creatinine. (not sure where the other 2g goes)
- For a 70kg adult, the loss of muscle creatine (return from saturation to baseline) is ~2g/day.
- It takes more than 30 days for your body to return from saturated muscle Cr to baseline.
- Creatinine is the breakdown of creatine, produced during energy consumption. Note that creatinine excretion is approximately at the same level of loss of creatine.

Optimally, the initial saturation should require a high dose (~20g/day for a week) to bring the baseline to saturation (difference is ~90g in total). To maintain saturation, you can get away with as little as ~5g/day. Higher doses simply mean more will pass through your system without absorption.

Also note that as only ~2g of creatine is consumed per day, much less than the saturation level, the ingestion time and workout time is not related. I would even go far as to say 1-week-on/3-week-off schedule will work just as well as a regular intake (of a typical ~20g/day dose).

Ref:
Rawson et al., Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 2004, 18(1), 162–16
Chauntin, The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 1926, 67, 29-41.
Deldicque et al., Eur J Appl Physiol (2008) 102:133–143
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:14:06 pm by Mao »
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015