Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 10:08:08 pm

Author Topic: Career Advice :(  (Read 1046 times)  Share 

chris523

Career Advice :(
« on: June 03, 2012, 02:48:19 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm currently completing year 12 but completely lost in what career path to follow. I am currently studying English, Psych, Business, Physics, and Methods and aiming for a 45 in all my subjects excluding methods which I'm aiming for 35, (so maybe an atar of around 96-97). Im interested in almost all areas of study, but it seems not enough to pursue a career in.

In year 11, I was set on doing engineering, specifically mechanical or aerospace. However, I dont think the job suits my strengths and weaknesses, Im not particularly mathematically geared and find it far easier to excel in English. This being said its not that I lack interest in the subject, more that I lack the skill to go particularly well. This year I've been thinking of doing a commerce or law degree, but this is only because I see them as degrees which rely more heavily on English (disregarding the idea of majoring in Actuarial Studies or Finance) and the social sciences, which I think are my strengths in terms of academic results. Additionally, I see these courses as being relatively broad, leaving career prospects open. However, I can't see my self working in the work places commonly associated with commerce, eg. investment banking or accounting, and I don't know if I would like law as I have been told its very dry unless its something you have an acute passion for.

As you can probably see I am very confused as to what to do when I am older or at least what to list as my university preferences.I'm thinking of just going to UoM and pursuing either commerce or science, in the hope that my career options will be left relatively open, but I'm worried my indecisiveness is going to lead me into a career that I neither enjoy or have interest in.

Surely some of the people on here have been in a similar situation, if so how did you approach it?
What study options should I consider, my strengths being English and the human sciences?

In regard to what most interests me, I would say the automotive and aviation industry (cars/aeroplanes) but I dont know if I could stand ending up in a job where I design components for lawn-mowers, on top of the fact I am more 'english geared'. The stock market and economic world interest me but I don't know if I have the mathematical ability to succeed and if a lack of ability in math would demotivate me in general if I pursued a career in this area. Lastly, to reiterate what I said earlier Law does interest me but I dont know if my general knowledge of it could justify a job that I personally may find very dry.

I know I'm really the only one that will know what to do with my own life, I just feel lost in terms of what I should pursue as I seem to be constantly changing my mind and my indecisive nature has me worried Ill end up somewhere I wont at all enjoy.

I would really appreciate any feedback, as even different perspectives on my situation are going to help me understand what I should do :) .

Thanks guys