Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 02:42:30 pm

Author Topic: Medicine FAQ / So You Want To Be A Doctor  (Read 192516 times)  Share 

tiff_tiff

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Medicine FAQ / So You Want To Be A Doctor
« Reply #210 on: April 14, 2015, 09:10:14 pm »
Can't I get credit for the subjects i have done in first year at melb? According to many ppl the content is very similar?

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #211 on: April 14, 2015, 11:32:16 pm »
+2
Question for any student who does medicine at monash, roughly, what percentage of the time in the course are you doing clinical experience as opposed to lectures/learning stuff. I heard someone say that a lot of the anatomy/physiology/pathology has to be studied and self - taught. Thanks  :D

First two years are on campus, the rest are clinically based and it varies depending on whether you do honours/AMS/whatever they call it research option

You'll get lectures on those topics but medicine involves a lot of self teaching of necessity

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2015, 03:31:09 pm »
+2
Some changes to places with the new budget.

Today, AMSA discussed the changes to the BMP and MRBS with the Federal Department of Health.
1.   Current MRBS and BMP Students will NOT be offered the opportunity to move to new BMP contracts with a 1-year Return of Service. Students will need to fulfil the contracts that have been signed.
2.   Future BMP Students from 2016 will have one-year return of service. The DoH did not provide comment on the motivation behind the decision to bond students for one year rather than the current four to six years.
3. No detail could be provided at this stage on the value, quantity, or eligibility requirements for the new Health Workforce Scholarships. There will be a tender process for administration of the scholarship, and distribution will allocated based on workforce need.
Follow AMSA Rural Health or email [email protected] for more updates or questions.

tl;dr MRBS has been scrapped and BMP is no longer the length of your medical degree. Not sure if this is going to help address rural medicine in the long-term.
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

odeaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #213 on: May 16, 2015, 06:53:00 pm »
How hard is it to transfer from biomed or science into medicine? Like, if you can't get the atar needed, is it realistic to be able to change or do you maybe not have what it takes? I know it's a bit of a vague question, but I know so many people doing biomed or science and just kinda assuming that they are going to get into med, but surely it would be extremely competitive to get in?
VCE Class of 2015

Monash Uni

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #214 on: May 16, 2015, 07:54:20 pm »
Unless you go for UNSW med you can't transfer in the middle of your undergrad, so people slog it out for 3 years before they can finally apply with a GPA and GAMSAT. Lots of people can change their study habits etc during that time. You still have to be a good student so it's not easy (a 75-80 avg will get you in the running for some schools).

Graduate entry is still as competitive (if not, maybe less so) as getting into undergrad med. More schools are turning to graduate entry so you might have more options, you don't have the pressure of a single year's results bearing down on you, and you can sit the GAMSAT multiple times before you graduate.
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne

odeaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #215 on: May 16, 2015, 09:27:37 pm »
Unless you go for UNSW med you can't transfer in the middle of your undergrad, so people slog it out for 3 years before they can finally apply with a GPA and GAMSAT. Lots of people can change their study habits etc during that time. You still have to be a good student so it's not easy (a 75-80 avg will get you in the running for some schools).

Graduate entry is still as competitive (if not, maybe less so) as getting into undergrad med. More schools are turning to graduate entry so you might have more options, you don't have the pressure of a single year's results bearing down on you, and you can sit the GAMSAT multiple times before you graduate.
Thanks for the information! Definitely looks like year 12 is the best way to do it imo, I guess I should get off an and start studying then ahah
VCE Class of 2015

Monash Uni

ChickenCh0wM1en

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #216 on: May 16, 2015, 10:57:20 pm »
Thanks for the information! Definitely looks like year 12 is the best way to do it imo, I guess I should get off an and start studying then ahah

You can also apply to UWS + UNCLE (Newcastle) as long as your UMAT is high enough (and ATAR/Uni? not totally sure to be honest). You can also apply to JCU (which doesn't look at UMAT - so if you're in uni they look at your GPA).
BSc (2015), MD1 (2016)
Tutoring in 2016: http://www.tutorfinder.com.au/tutors/detail.php?TutorID=78301
Chuck a PM if interested :)

Available for tutoring on the summer holidays for university subjects or VCe.
Also tutoring for the Melbourne uni MMIs (medical/physiotherapy interviews)

Please don't PM me for lecture slides or recordings. I don't have them anymore.

MelonBar

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #217 on: May 17, 2015, 05:54:38 pm »
Some changes to places with the new budget.

tl;dr MRBS has been scrapped and BMP is no longer the length of your medical degree. Not sure if this is going to help address rural medicine in the long-term.

So, no more MRBS places, and future BMP students are only bonded for 1 year? You can still select MRBS on your application for 2016 entry.
2012: VCE
2013-2015: BSc (Neuroscience) @ UoM

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #218 on: May 17, 2015, 06:30:44 pm »
+1
Yeah, that's what AMSA has said, although the gov website still has BMPs as 4 years return of service so still not 100% certain. If you tick MRBS on GEMSAS they'll probably just treat it as if you put down bonded

MelonBar

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #219 on: May 17, 2015, 06:32:43 pm »
Ok thanks!
2012: VCE
2013-2015: BSc (Neuroscience) @ UoM

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #220 on: May 17, 2015, 07:03:32 pm »
There will likely be a statement from GEMSAS soon but I imagine they'll let people change their preferences (when is the final date for submission?)

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #221 on: May 17, 2015, 07:15:04 pm »
31st of May

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #222 on: May 17, 2015, 08:05:53 pm »
oh. my. god.
please don't tell me that all this sophisticated, acronym-packed talk is basically saying that there will be no undergrad med entry in 2018?
please. no.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2015, 08:13:06 pm »
Undergrad entry isn't going anywhere, despite my low opinion of it.

What we're saying is that the old government system that offered large scholarships to students willing to commit to rural practice has been removed. It's been replaced with a system that reduces the commitment to a single year but eliminates the scholarship.

The government also committed to opening a new medical school in WA, presumably because they want to be elected for a second term.

odeaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #224 on: May 17, 2015, 10:20:45 pm »
Undergrad entry isn't going anywhere, despite my low opinion of it.

What we're saying is that the old government system that offered large scholarships to students willing to commit to rural practice has been removed. It's been replaced with a system that reduces the commitment to a single year but eliminates the scholarship.

The government also committed to opening a new medical school in WA, presumably because they want to be elected for a second term.
Shit mane
Is it still easier to get places in those bonded rural scholarships as opposed straight med? I was kinda banking on that ahaha
VCE Class of 2015

Monash Uni