Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 09:29:48 pm

Author Topic: Self-studying GAMSAT without a science degree?  (Read 3637 times)  Share 

Soul_Khan

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
Self-studying GAMSAT without a science degree?
« on: September 03, 2012, 05:11:02 pm »
Hey guys,
I was just wondering how difficult would it be to study for the GAMSAT without actually doing a Science degree? Given that you have the right materials (textbooks, prac papers, MIT open courseware,etc) and the time available to do so.
2012 ATAR: 52.50
#swag #yolo #basedgod

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Self-studying GAMSAT without a science degree?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 06:36:03 pm »
+3
If you're thinking about the Melbourne MD, you need to satisfy the pre-req subjects, which to the best of my knowledge, can only be done in through Science or Biomed. And if you're looking at Post-grad Med, wouldn't you be doing a sciency type degree?

In regards to your question, I have no idea, but I'd imagine that with enough motivation you could do it. It's similar to the way people study for the LSAT in Australia, you motivate yourself to learn the material and earn your score. :)
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 07:47:26 am »
Depends on the individual. If you were given a copy of VCAA study design, would you feel comfortable learning that yourself to sit the end of year exam?
Some people learn really well from textbooks and on their own, some don't.

It would be possible, but maybe a bit harder and more time consuming imo

sluu001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 11:52:14 pm »
No, for a melb md - the pre-req subjects can also be done as breadths. However, not sure if the there are enough breadth slots to satisfy the pre-reqs OF the pre-reqs for melb md.

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 11:55:42 pm »
If you're thinking about the Melbourne MD, you need to satisfy the pre-req subjects, which to the best of my knowledge, can only be done in through Science or Biomed. And if you're looking at Post-grad Med, wouldn't you be doing a sciency type degree?

In regards to your question, I have no idea, but I'd imagine that with enough motivation you could do it. It's similar to the way people study for the LSAT in Australia, you motivate yourself to learn the material and earn your score. :)
I'm pretty sure that you can do the pre-reqs as Breadth.

Could one find a tutor for the GAMSAT?
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 09:22:27 am »
^^
You can, but $$$
I certainly wouldn't be willing to take on GAMSAT tutoring for my normal price

No, for a melb md - the pre-req subjects can also be done as breadths. However, not sure if the there are enough breadth slots to satisfy the pre-reqs OF the pre-reqs for melb md.

In general it's possible but it's rather tough to make everything fit nicely and you'll also face the challenge of doing them spaced well apart.