Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 29, 2024, 05:43:57 pm

Author Topic: IT App's Question Thread  (Read 17307 times)  Share 

Kanon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +68
  • School: Carwatha College P-12
  • School Grad Year: 2012
IT App's Question Thread
« on: October 03, 2012, 08:51:51 pm »
+2
Just a place for everyone to ask their questions :D

Which of the following is not a data type?
A. Text
B. Data
C. HTML
D. Boolean

The answer is Data, I don't really understand why HTML would be considered a data type?  I thought both Data and HTML were wrong, but HTML was more wrong if that makes sense :P
Is this one of those iffy questions that occasionally appear on practice exams?  Do you think it'd be likely to come up on a VCAA exam?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:01:16 pm by Kanon »
'12 - English | Methods | Chemistry | Physics | IT Applications | IT Software Development
'14 - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) / Bachelor of Computer Science | Monash University

Need a website? I run a web design business!  The Summit Digital

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
Re: IT App's Question Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:03:21 pm »
+2
A. Text
B. Data
C. HTML
D. Boolean

The answer is Data, I don't really understand why HTML would be considered a data type?  I thought both Data and HTML were wrong, but HTML was more wrong if that makes sense
Is this one of those iffy questions that occasionally appear on practice exams?  Do you think it'd be likely to come up on a VCAA exam?

EDIT: This isn't legitimate. You will never see a question like this on a VCAA exam, unless the options are something like (Text, Date/Time, Boolean, Radio Button).

What is a data type? Data types determine the storage requirements and properties of fields (from VCEIT.com). To those students who are completing SD and ITA concurrently, try to relate the answers to the ITA study design (e.g. relate and give examples using the applications used in ITA - Dreamweaver/ Access / Excel).

Boolean - True/False data type, commonly used in Access databases (e.g. Gender - Male or Female?)

Text - The most common data type. Used for strings of text (e.g. addresses)

HTML - DEFINITELY not  a data type. HTML is a markup language.

Data - I can only assume this is a typo for date. Date is a data type in access. If the person who wrote this question truly meant "data", then the question isn't legitimate. HTML is not a data type (far from it), and "data" is extremely ambiguous to the point where I have to conclude that it it isn't a data type.

Reference: http://vceit.com/databases/datatypes.htm

Keep the questions coming!

EDIT:

The 2011-2014 study design specifies knowledge of these data types:

ITA - text (string), number, date, currency, logic (Boolean)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:10:04 pm by MJRomeo81 »
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

Yendall

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 09:20:58 pm »
Just a place for everyone to ask their questions :D

A. Text
B. Data
C. HTML
D. Boolean

The answer is Data, I don't really understand why HTML would be considered a data type?  I thought both Data and HTML were wrong, but HTML was more wrong if that makes sense :P
Where did you see this question?
2013 - 2016: Bachelor of Computer Science @ RMIT
2017 - 2018: Master of Data Science @ RMIT
ΟΟΟΟ
VCE '12: | English | I.T: Applications | I.T: Software Development | Music Performance Solo |  Further Mathematics | Studio Arts |

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 09:24:27 pm »
Lmao that is a rubbish question, how is HTML a data type? =.=

Also, how is Data a data type? Strange things.

Yendall

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 09:25:53 pm »
Lmao that is a rubbish question, how is HTML a data type? =.=

Also, how is Data a data type? Strange things.
I can't believe someone actually wrote that! haha how ridiculous.
ΟΟΟΟ
VCE '12: | English | I.T: Applications | I.T: Software Development | Music Performance Solo |  Further Mathematics | Studio Arts |

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 09:27:42 pm »
Shows the quality of resources for VCE IT in general (both SD and ITA) are quite shitty, which is a shame because IT students deserve better, just look at the quality of maths/science resources and compare it to IT and you'll see how much better off those students are.

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 09:51:22 pm »
+2
I've stickied this thread - good idea Kanon, this should be a good place for questions.

To reduce clutter, the previous stickies with resources for each outcome are now linked here: IT Applications Resources

Kanon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 09:53:32 pm »
Where did you see this question?

It was one of the EngageEd prac exams I got from the Mark Kelly lecture.  The lecture was great, so are the notes, but some of the questions in these practice exams are a bit unrealistic imo. Like there was one, "Explain the difference between CSS and JavaScript" I think that'd be a bit hit and miss for a lot of people.  The answer talks about design elements and how JS aids in the answers talks about design elements however I said JS was a scripting language unlike CSS.   

Thank you for that MJ :)
I didn't consider it could be a typo for 'Date' but yeah this question was a bit :S

I'm going to take a break before I do anything, doing prac exams is so tiring ):
'12 - English | Methods | Chemistry | Physics | IT Applications | IT Software Development
'14 - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) / Bachelor of Computer Science | Monash University

Genericname2365

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 05:41:34 pm »
I'm going to take a break before I do anything, doing prac exams is so tiring ):
Yeah they definitely are for IT - and then you have to mark the short-answer, and find all the correct answers to the ambiguous/poorly phrased questions. Tedious.
ATAR: 93.35
Bachelor of Arts at UoM

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 10:29:56 pm »
I've split some of the discussion as it was getting quite interesting, can be found here: The Nature of VCE level IT

Keep the questions coming!

Kanon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 11:34:52 pm »
Back by popular demand :P
So I've finished all the EngageEd Prac Exams, I found the freely available one to be a bit iffy aswell.  If you're reading this and don't know whether it is worth doing the EngageEd ones, I'd say yes.  Whilst they haven't really as 'on the ball' as other companies, they did help me expose some flaws in my work. Plus, they're free, so that's great.

So basically I suck when it comes to sorting (i hated bubble sorts from SD with a passion)
A database user has stored the following numbers exactly as they appear below:
The numbers are then sorted into ascending order.  What format would they be sorted in, and what order would they appear in after being sorted?
A. They would be stored as numbers, and when sorted the first number is 8.0.
B. They would be stored as text, and when sorted the first number is 010.
C. They would be stored as text, and when sorted the first number is 0020.
D. They would be stored as text, and when sorted the first number is 010.
As mentioned before, i'm really bad at sorting but bare with me  ;D
So I see that they've mentioned 'exactly' meaning that they probably want to keep the decimal places aswell, so that makes me think we should keep them as an integer (floating point) or interms of MS Access Number (Decimal).  Their suggestions suggest C (awks when B and D are the same answer) but I don't get how they can sort text data into an ascending/descending pattern, I thought the reason why we assign numeric data types was for easy manipulation of numbers.

If a table doesn't satisfy the first normalisation form, it can still satisfy the proceeding normalisation forms, right?

Also, because MJ kindly expose a hole within my knowledge I went around researching Data Types and interestlingly enough I found
Quote from: Mark Kelly's EnageEd Notes
Data Types
(...)
Data
- A variation of numeric fields

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 12:09:15 am »
So basically I suck when it comes to sorting (i hated bubble sorts from SD with a passion)
A database user has stored the following numbers exactly as they appear below:
The numbers are then sorted into ascending order.  What format would they be sorted in, and what order would they appear in after being sorted?
A. They would be stored as numbers, and when sorted the first number is 8.0.
B. They would be stored as text, and when sorted the first number is 010.
C. They would be stored as text, and when sorted the first number is 0020.
D. They would be stored as text, and when sorted the first number is 010.

Their suggestions suggest C (awks when B and D are the same answer) but I don't get how they can sort text data into an ascending/descending pattern, I thought the reason why we assign numeric data types was for easy manipulation of numbers.
This is playing off from what you would call a discriminator question from last years ITA MC section.

If it's stored as a numeric data type, then it'd be sorted like numbers e.g. in ascending order:
8.0, 010, 0020, 100.01 since you'd read them as 8, 10, 20, 100.01 respectively.

But if we stored them as a numeric data type, we would lose those zeroes at the start, and hence you wouldn't have the numbers exactly as entered. Hence we can rule out A.

Ascending order in terms of text is A to Z. Descending order in terms of text is Z to A.

Text data is sorted character by character and alphabetically e.g. A, B, C, D, E. If you have numbers, then it's always in the order 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.It's character by character though, so place value of the numbers doesn't matter. If the values are the same, then you move onto the next character for comparing two pieces of text data. For example this is text data sorted ascending: 0, 1, 11, 20, 23

If it was stored as text, ascending, then they'd be sorted:
0020, 010, 100.01, 8.0

That's exactly the same as it was entered (answer C). Descending would be the other way around.

So the answer is C.

If a table doesn't satisfy the first normalisation form, it can still satisfy the proceeding normalisation forms, right?
Nope. You must satisfy the lower forms before preceding to the higher forms.

1NF: One piece of data per field. No duplicates.
2NF: A key is the set of fields that are used to identify single record completely (e.g. for an order, the key would be CustomerID and the ProductID). Any of the non-key fields in the record must relate to all of those key fields.
3NF: This is stricter than 2NF, mandating that every field must relate directly to the primary key with no exceptions.

You can't have valid 2NF, without having split up your data into 1NF first. You'd have some very crappy normalisation efforts if you didn't get rid of duplicate fields, or had more than one data per field.

For example, you could have an address, suburb and postcode in one field (invalid 1NF). Let's say you then tried to apply 2NF - which might involve shoving off the postcodes into their table. You're unable to do this as you don't have valid 1NF, and hence you're left with invalid 2NF. 

You can't have valid 3NF if you have fields that don't relate to the keys at all (invalid 2NF), since that would also be invalid 3NF.

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 12:35:26 am »
Also, because MJ kindly expose a hole within my knowledge I went around researching Data Types and interestlingly enough I found
Quote from: Mark Kelly's EnageEd Notes
Data Types
(...)
Data
- A variation of numeric fields

So what is Kelly saying? That data is or isn't a data type? Is he claiming that HTML is a data type? I mean I guess you could come up with a technical definition but what would be the point?

It's the ambiguity of the course that can be annoying at times. I'm pretty sure that in MS Access, "Yes/No" is considered to be a "data type". To another student, they might interpret "yes/no" as a data FORMAT and "boolean" as the true data type. This is why I honestly think they should stop with these stupid "haha u dun goofed" questions. No one is interested in semantics.

I got C as my answer as well for the number sort. There was an excellent discussion in the SD subforum the other day regarding sorting strings/text:

Algorithm Help

And yes, without eliminating redundant data, you cannot really continue with the normalisation process. Each successive form further addresses the concept of removing duplicative/redundant data.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:37:32 am by MJRomeo81 »
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

Kanon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 07:53:02 pm »
What's the difference between a format and a convention?  I've always assumed they're the same thing and grouped together but my teacher told us that told they're two entirely different things.

Thanks for doing this guise :D

Yendall

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 08:01:40 pm »
+1
Formats are ways in which data and information can be presented
Conventions are the standard way of doing things.
ΟΟΟΟ