Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 26, 2024, 09:29:18 am

Author Topic: Biology Post-exam Discussion  (Read 45211 times)  Share 

Gazillionaire

Re: Biology Post-exam Discussion
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2012, 11:48:26 am »
What was the answer to the question which asked about zebra and human dna and gene differences?

spherelin

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • School: Presbyterian Ladies College
« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2012, 11:51:02 am »
It's transgenic organism because they obtained the genes from another organism. GMO DNA are made artificially in the lab they aren't the same thing.
TMO's are subset of GMO though, as all transgenic organisms have had their genes genetically modified. So wouldn't both be accepted?

Biceps

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2012, 11:58:35 am »
They were asking for the specific type of organism though. I could be wrong.
2011: Arabic [31] IT Applications [36]
2012: english[28] Chemistry[31] methods[39] Spesh [35] Biology:[42]

ATAR 2012: 92.90

2013-2016: BSc at UoM

Biceps

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2012, 12:04:10 pm »
What was the answer to the question which asked about zebra and human dna and gene differences?
I said that they had a common ancestor very long ago and by now the genes had a lot of variation.

Gazillionaire

« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2012, 12:23:20 pm »
I said that they had a common ancestor very long ago and by now the genes had a lot of variation.

Could you say that they have the same gene for pigment, but different alleles, thus resulting in variation within the gene?
I didn;t write common ancestor because it said 'zebra-fish' not 'zebra' so i thought having a 70% identical gene is unlikey...

Scooby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2012, 12:28:27 pm »

Could you say that they have the same gene for pigment, but different alleles, thus resulting in variation within the gene?
I didn;t write common ancestor because it said 'zebra-fish' not 'zebra' so i thought having a 70% identical gene is unlikey...

Well, if you go back far enough, every organism on the planet has a common ancestor  :P

Yeah, I said that the gene had been conserved in the two species since their divergence from a common ancestor, but that mutation had occurred since, leading to changes in its base sequence between the two species
2012-2013: VCE - Biology [50]
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology & Physiology) @ Monash
2018-2021: Doctor of Medicine @ Melbourne

Tutoring Biology in 2019. Send me a PM if you're interested! :)

HighLatency

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2012, 12:31:51 pm »

Well, if you go back far enough, every organism on the planet has a common ancestor  :P

Yeah, I said that the gene had been conserved in the two species since their divergence from a common ancestor, but that mutation had occurred since, leading to changes in its base sequence between the two species

Pretty sure God created fish, birds, land animals and humans separately :D

/troll

Biceps

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2012, 12:57:47 pm »

We have a 50% same genome as bananas. :P Some genes remain and just become very different over time. Especially if mutations happen a lot more in non-coding regions.

catwoman101

« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2012, 01:23:00 pm »
congratulations to everyone who did the exam !!
Be very proud of yourselves !!!

randomfellow

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2012, 05:05:28 pm »
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but does anyone reckon they'll give everyone marks for question 16 MC?

A and C are clearly wrong
But B and D could both work
The action of waves and currents determines the sedimentation on the corpse, and the hard parts means that it fossilises easier

HighLatency

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2012, 05:35:54 pm »
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but does anyone reckon they'll give everyone marks for question 16 MC?

The action of waves and currents determines the sedimentation on the corpse, and the hard parts means that it fossilises easier

If there were to be two correct answers then they would accept two correct answers not give marks to people who got it wrong

randomfellow

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2012, 05:41:03 pm »

If there were to be two correct answers then they would accept two correct answers not give marks to people who got it wrong

Yeah true. But would you agree that there ARE two correct answers?

HighLatency

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2012, 05:47:57 pm »

Yeah true. But would you agree that there ARE two correct answers?
Im not entirely sure but now that I look back...

Jenny_2108

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • School: Melbourne Girls College
« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2012, 09:09:00 pm »
Never had a problem with the words but i guess ESL students do find it a lot harder. This should be taken into consideration when applying for uni in my opinion...

Try taking your exam in russian and see if that changes, hey ;) ?

LOL
yeah, I don't know other uni but for UoM, the ATAR requirement is lower
Eg: you guys need > 99 ATAR to get into biomed while I only need >95 ATAR

I thought ESL students were allowed English->X dictionaries, where X is a language of their choice?

eg. a English->Chinese dictionary

Really? This is interesting. Where'd you hear this?

I had a quick look through the VCAA handbook and couldn't find it.

No one should do any worse in a *biology* exam because they're an ESL student. I think they should pay more attention to the words they use for these kind of things.

Except for maybe stature though (which just means height) it doesn't seem like any of those words would have an impact on the question thankfully.

Nope, dictionary is only allowed in eng exam. Other subjects we do the same as local students
Luckily the word "stature" doesn't affect the ans but other words make me crazy
2012: Bio | Chem| Spesh | Methods | ESL | Vietnamese
2013-2016: BActuarial studies/BCommerce @ ANU

Thanks to gossamer, TT, pi, laserblued, Thus for helping and supporting me during VCE

niki

• New South Welsh
  • Trailblazer
  • School: Elwood College
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2012, 12:15:35 pm »
I'm also an ESL student, but i guess its fair enough that they don't let a dictionary in, we, ESL kids just have to study the words before hand ! :)
Indonesian SL(raw 37)