Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 04, 2024, 11:48:56 am

Author Topic: Concrete Sets - Subsets (Belonging to..)  (Read 5410 times)  Share 

Yendall

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +38
Concrete Sets - Subsets (Belonging to..)
« on: March 08, 2013, 05:28:22 pm »
Just need some clarification for my MATH-1074 class.

We are following the rule:

Where:
= Null Set
= Natural Numbers
= Integers
= Rational Numbers
= Rational and Irrational Numbers

As far as I can understand, Null belongs to N, N belongs to Z,Z belongs to Q, Q belongs to R

So when I get a question like: To which (if any) of the sets N, Z, Q and R does 0 belong?

I automatically say that 0 is a part of the Integer set, as it is not a positive counting number and cannot belong to the natural set N. However this isn't the correct answer.

Why isn't this the correct answer?

EDIT
I realised that the multiple choice quiz online actually requires you to state that it belongs to more than one set, rather than the direct set after it.

Sorry for wasting a thread.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 05:48:11 pm by Yendall »
2013 - 2016: Bachelor of Computer Science @ RMIT
2017 - 2018: Master of Data Science @ RMIT
ΟΟΟΟ
VCE '12: | English | I.T: Applications | I.T: Software Development | Music Performance Solo |  Further Mathematics | Studio Arts |

kamil9876

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +109
Re: Concrete Sets - Subsets (Belonging to..)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:21:53 pm »
I would like to point out your confusion between and

[/center]

It should be

or the following would also be true

For instance, let

Then is...

?

?

?

?

?
Voltaire: "There is an astonishing imagination even in the science of mathematics ... We repeat, there is far more imagination in the head of Archimedes than in that of Homer."

Yendall

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 10:01:40 pm »
Oh yes sorry, I meant to write that. 0 is an element of each set because it is an element of set Z.

I understand elements completely, I was just confused as to whether you needed to mention ALL sets when referring to belonging.

And I believe these three are only true:

I would also write it as:

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:06:42 pm by Yendall »
ΟΟΟΟ
VCE '12: | English | I.T: Applications | I.T: Software Development | Music Performance Solo |  Further Mathematics | Studio Arts |

kamil9876

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 12:30:03 am »
The elements of are and . So is FALSE since it is not equal to or . However is TRUE, this is an element of . However is FALSE, there are only four subsets of : the empty set, , and itself. So you can see that is not one of these four sets.
Voltaire: "There is an astonishing imagination even in the science of mathematics ... We repeat, there is far more imagination in the head of Archimedes than in that of Homer."

Yendall

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 07:31:23 am »
Oh sorry I completely misread that is a seperate element to .

So;

So the three sets in S are:

However, would this make the cardinality of the set 3 or 2? Do you count the null set as an element or because it technically isn't real, is it excluded?

Also, if I were to denote these elements with letters would this work as well:

ΟΟΟΟ

kamil9876

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 12:23:55 pm »
However, would this make the cardinality of the set 3 or 2? Do you count the null set as an element or because it technically isn't real, is it excluded?

The cardinality is the number of elements, there are two elements and in hence it is of cardinality . The empty set is NOT an element of , it is a subset of i.e but . Whether it is real or not does not matter, you can make up abstract sets where the elements are not real numbers (in fact is an example of one since the element of is NOT a real number)

Also, if I were to denote these elements with letters would this work as well:

But you were doing so well before (only mistake was which is FALSE). Why does renaming the elements suddenly change the answer? It shouldn't of course, you can't make by letting

Yendall

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 05:32:08 pm »
Okay I think i've just completely confused myself. I'll start from the beginning again and see where I go wrong haha:

Set:

Elements:

Subsets:

I believe that is all there is to it! Maybe haha
ΟΟΟΟ

kamil9876

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 01:38:52 am »
All those statements you have made are correct. (Although there are other subsets of , in fact four altogether as I have stated in my previous post).

Yendall

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 09:20:09 am »
All those statements you have made are correct. (Although there are other subsets of , in fact four altogether as I have stated in my previous post).
Oh yes that's right! I think i understand it all now, thanks for your help! Sorry if I was a bit confusing haha
ΟΟΟΟ