Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 06:36:22 pm

Author Topic: My health question thread 2014  (Read 4954 times)  Share 

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: My health question thread 2014
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 10:15:56 pm »
Are there only 4 health indicators that are used to measure the health status of populations?  They're mortality, morbidity, life expectancy and burden of disease?  So exactly what a unit/measure?  For e.g life expectancy the unit/measure is health adjusted life years, so does this mean HALE takes into account life expectancy data?  Kind of confused here.

Thanks.

Hey :) There are more than four indicators others include  burden of disease, health adjusted life expectancy and DALYs, life expectancy, under-five mortality rate, mortality, morbidity, incidence, prevalence.

health adjusted life expectancy (HALE) a measure of burden of disease based on life expectancy at birth, but including an adjustment for time spent in poor health. It is the number of years in full health that a person can expect to live, based on current rates of ill health and mortality.

so yes HALE does include data from life expectancy.

Only Cheating Yourself

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: -32
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 08:10:10 am »
Hey :) There are more than four indicators others include  burden of disease, health adjusted life expectancy and DALYs, life expectancy, under-five mortality rate, mortality, morbidity, incidence, prevalence.

health adjusted life expectancy (HALE) a measure of burden of disease based on life expectancy at birth, but including an adjustment for time spent in poor health. It is the number of years in full health that a person can expect to live, based on current rates of ill health and mortality.

so yes HALE does include data from life expectancy.

Thanks, this is where I'm confused so for e.g Burden of disease DALY calculates burden of disease?
'My belief is stronger than your doubt'

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 11:41:46 am »
Thanks, this is where I'm confused so for e.g Burden of disease DALY calculates burden of disease?

Burden of disease is measured in a unit called DALY (disability adjusted life year ), which is made up of YLLs and YLDs :)

Only Cheating Yourself

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 11:57:41 am »
Burden of disease is measured in a unit called DALY (disability adjusted life year ), which is made up of YLLs and YLDs :)

I know that but i don't get this part.  If burden of disease combines morbidity and mortality data then how can DALY be its measurement?  When one DALY equals one year of healthy life lost?

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 11:43:28 pm »
I know that but i don't get this part.  If burden of disease combines morbidity and mortality data then how can DALY be its measurement?  When one DALY equals one year of healthy life lost?
Hey buddy!

Yes you are correct, 1 DALY = 1 healthy year of life lost

DALY is equal to YLL (years of life lost, mortality) + YLD (years of life lost due to disability, morbidity).

Does that make sense?

Keep up the great work,

Rod
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Only Cheating Yourself

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 05:17:48 pm »
Hey buddy!

Yes you are correct, 1 DALY = 1 healthy year of life lost

DALY is equal to YLL (years of life lost, mortality) + YLD (years of life lost due to disability, morbidity).

Does that make sense?

Keep up the great work,

Rod

Yea i know that but how can DALY be a measurement of bod when oh never mind.  Thanks

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 10:47:01 pm »
Yea i know that but how can DALY be a measurement of bod when oh never mind.  Thanks
Both? It combines both data.
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!