Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 24, 2024, 03:06:57 am

Author Topic: Profession question  (Read 6758 times)  Share 

90+FTW

Profession question
« on: January 13, 2014, 06:18:39 pm »
Allow to me to clarify something, I ADORE Law. I live for it (honestly I do). I couldn't imagine any other life from being a Human Rights (specifically War Crimes) Lawyer, but with that said, I have another passion.  It might sound, drastic, but it's something that I am truly interested in becoming AS WELL. An Intelligence Agent (yeah yeah, I'm crazy and yet many people do it).

Is there ANY way that I could possibly combine these two professions, to me, they seem relatively linked. I'm just curious.

Cheers

BTW: when is the typical holiday time for University students. Every semester 2 weeks off? etc
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 06:21:39 pm by 90+FTW »

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Profession question
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 06:46:07 pm »
+1
ASIO has a number of positions available, but I'm not aware of their hiring requirements. The breadth of work offered at ASIO (http://www.asio.gov.au/careers/overview.html) appears to be quite wide, so I'm sure there's something that will interest you (perhaps ASIO's in-house legal establishment?).

However - speaking from an intelligence standpoint - it should be said that outside entities such as HR lawyers and other bodies rely on information sourced in the field; they would rarely ever source such material themselves. As an example, a supranational body such as the UN has departments and agencies in the field, but their legal and litigating teams will hardly ever enter the field themselves, bar for international mandated observers.
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 07:02:23 pm »
+1
Most undergraduate courses (Arts at UoM included) run 12 week semesters with either 1 week or 2 week break roughly in the middle of those semesters. You then get a week at the end of the semester for SWOTVAC and then a three week exam period. Start dates and other holiday dates vary, but you also usually get a month off between semesters.

nb, with respect to law, I'd be careful about saying you live for a profession that you haven't actually experienced yet. You might find other interests that you'd also like to explore over the next three years

90+FTW

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 07:21:45 pm »
I'd be careful about saying you live for a profession that you haven't actually experienced yet.

But I have experienced it, and considering that it has been consistent for 13 years, I'd say my dreams are going to no where.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 07:29:47 pm »
+11
Ah right. Sorry. Wasn't aware you'd already been to law school and started working as a lawyer.

I'm being obviously snarky to make the point that until you've actually worked in the field, you don't really have a good idea of what the profession entails. A lot of people have dreams about XYZ and that's perfectly fine. Just don't convince yourself that nothing else is ever possible for you and that you live for it.

90+FTW

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:27:06 pm »
Ah right. Sorry. Wasn't aware you'd already been to law school and started working as a lawyer.
Why so discouraging when you don't even know the first thing about me? It makes no sense. I have had experience with law in my life, and if I feel so strongly about it, why be so rude? You have nothing to do with me, it's just unnecessary. But thank you for assuming that I have no experience, those 13 years obviously meant nothing. 

Believe it or not but some people actually stick to their dreams, I'm sorry if that hasn't been the case for you. I've said it before and I'll say it again, don't assume.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:32:37 pm by 90+FTW »

ShortBlackChick

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 10:41:45 pm »
I used to dream of being a CIA agent, probs since I was in yr 7. Before I realised you needed to be a US Citizen. And this is before I started seeing how awesome Annie Walker was in Covert Affairs.

ASIO was my next target, but i'm not sure even though they advertise vacancies online that you'd actually end up going to them. I assume its more of a them-approaching-you thing.

It may be hard to get a job at ASIO now anyway, you're not supposed to tell anyone you're applying. Concurring to that, no one here, should they be ASIO, would tell you they were and give you recruitment advice lol
2010: History Revolutions 35
2011: English 3/4, Accounting 3/4, Economics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, International Studies 3/4.

This C**t, under the name of anonymous, started giving me shit and I called him a C**t and now look. I'm f****n banned.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 11:09:48 pm »
Why so discouraging when you don't even know the first thing about me? It makes no sense. I have had experience with law in my life, and if I feel so strongly about it, why be so rude? You have nothing to do with me, it's just unnecessary. But thank you for assuming that I have no experience, those 13 years obviously meant nothing. 

Believe it or not but some people actually stick to their dreams, I'm sorry if that hasn't been the case for you. I've said it before and I'll say it again, don't assume.

I wasn't assuming anything or telling you that your past meant nothing, I was giving you some general advice that I give to most people in your position. It's up to you if you want to take it. Perhaps I was hasty though - what have you done over the last 13 years?

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 11:12:05 pm »
+3
Unless you've been to law school and worked in a legal firm in a legal capacity (i.e. not receptionist/coffee boy), you have no idea of what the law entails. I am in my final year of law school and have done a clinical education unit as well as presented a real case with a real client in real court, and I still have very little idea of what I'm getting into.

No need to get so defensive when people are just trying to bring you back to reality, especially when it's merely to tell you not to restrict yourself to a singular career path (which is fantastic advice for anybody).
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

90+FTW

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 12:01:57 am »
No need to get so defensive when people are just trying to bring you back to reality, especially when it's merely to tell you not to restrict yourself to a singular career path (which is fantastic advice for anybody).

Was I being defensive? Had no idea. Funnily enough I thought Russ was being quite defensive, but then again, everything is mistranslated on the internet. Uh...thanks for answering my initial question and I hope everything goes smoothly with your career.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 12:04:55 am »
Was I being defensive?
Yeah, you were. What did you do in the 13 years out of personal interest?
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

90+FTW

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 12:06:23 am »
Perhaps I was hasty though

No no it's fine, like I told Ninwa, everything is mistranslated on the internet. And almost everything has it's own subjective interpretation, apparently I was being defensive and that certainly not my intention. I don't believe you were being hasty, I just found the advice irrelevant to the specific question asked. Which happens a lot on this fucking site (excuse the language).

Ah let bygones be bygones, apologies on my behalf.

90+FTW

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 12:08:38 am »
What did you do in the 13 years out of personal interest
I had some PERSONAL positions with lawyers at a time, but mainly, as stated it's really my passion that is my driving motivation. *sigh* not my intention to be defensive, I apologize if it came off that way, but it seems impossible for a question to be simply answered on this site. Oh well

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:10:31 am by 90+FTW »

ShortBlackChick

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 12:11:40 am »
Yeah, you were. What did you do in the 13 years out of personal interest?

Maybe she was in jail for 13 years. Soz 4 assuming
2010: History Revolutions 35
2011: English 3/4, Accounting 3/4, Economics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, International Studies 3/4.

This C**t, under the name of anonymous, started giving me shit and I called him a C**t and now look. I'm f****n banned.

90+FTW

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 12:12:54 am »
Maybe she was in jail for 13 years

that would've been hilarious, but no, far from it :)

oh and thanks alondouek for answering the uni holiday question, cheers for that mate.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:21:23 am by 90+FTW »