Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 11:17:05 pm

Author Topic: Spesh Qs  (Read 9612 times)  Share 

Damo17

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +8
Re: Spesh Qs
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2009, 10:27:21 pm »
If a question asks whether the 'path' of one vector function crosses the path of another vector, what does it mean by 'cross'?

For example, if you had the vector (1,1) and the 'path' r(t) = (t,-t), would that 'cross' the path of the vector?

I believe if it says 'crosses the path' it means that at some point in time, one vector is at a position where the other is (if collision), or has previously been there.

In your example, no they wouldn't cross, at t=1, one vector would be at (1,1) and the other at (1,-1).

oh so do you think the path has to go THROUGH the point (1,1), not just through the 'vector' pointing there?

My limited knowledge says yes.
2011: Science - ANU

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2009, 10:28:20 pm »
mmm cool thanks, it just seems weird seeing as in the question they have OA = 500i+450j which is just a 'point', and yet they ask whether the vector function crosses the 'path' of OA. Wouldn't normally call a point a path rite?
LOL I remember that dodgy plane question!

(wait didn't they say the plane landed at (500,450) or something? soz memory is a bit weary here lol)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:30:13 pm by TrueTears »
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2009, 10:30:12 pm »
mmm cool thanks, it just seems weird seeing as in the question they have OA = 500i+450j which is just a 'point', and yet they ask whether the vector function crosses the 'path' of OA. Wouldn't normally call a point a path rite?

yeah true lol
anyway thanks TT and damo XD

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2009, 10:30:43 pm »
For two vector functions and

Cross: for some arbitrary and , (i.e. they cross the same point)

Collide: for some , (i.e. they cross the same point at the same time)

A path defined by the tip of the position vector described by r(t). Hence, when two paths cross, we're saying that the tips of two position vectors coincide. Since all position vectors originate from O, thus the two position vectors must coincide exactly for a 'cross'. For a collision, the two position vectors must coincide exactly at the time.
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2009, 10:32:01 pm »

(wait didn't they say the plane landed at (500,450) or something? soz memory is a bit weary here lol)
Here's the question

Relative to a fixed origin, O, the position of the plane, P, at time is given by . An airport officilal is standing at A(500,450) and observes the plane landing, worried that he may be hit by the plane. State, giving reasons, whether the plane's path crosses the path of vector OA.

For two vector functions and

Cross: for some arbitrary and , (i.e. they cross the same point)

Collide: for some , (i.e. they cross the same point at the same time)

A path defined by the tip of the position vector described by r(t). Hence, when two paths cross, we're saying that the tips of two position vectors coincide. Since all position vectors originate from O, thus the two position vectors must coincide exactly for a 'cross'. For a collision, the two position vectors must coincide exactly at the time.

cool thanks mao! hate those tricky linguistics

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2009, 10:36:03 pm »
Lol i think MAV might have had other ideas.

SPOILERS; THESE ARE SOLUTIONS.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:38:54 pm by /0 »

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2009, 10:37:41 pm »
It sounds like they defined 'the path of the vector OA' like a line segment, and any crossing of the plane with this line segment counts as 'crossing the path of the vector OA'.

Tricky wording

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2009, 10:39:38 pm »
It sounds like they defined 'the path of the vector OA' like a line segment, and any crossing of the plane with this line segment counts as 'crossing the path of the vector OA'.

Tricky wording

Would you say that MAV is unreliable in their definitions in this case?

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2009, 10:52:04 pm »

Tricky wording

Would you say that MAV is unreliable in their definitions in this case?

mm not really. As you've said, the 'path' of a single point is not really logical. Since OA is just a single vector, the path of OA can be interpreted as the line segment OA.

Note the difference between a path of a vector function and the path of a single vector.

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2009, 11:03:45 pm »
That's what I thought, the path of OA as the line segment OA, maybe it's just a interpretation thing.
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2009, 01:55:43 am »
"Express the roots of in terms of , where "

(The roots are )

I did "roots are , "

Answers got ", "

Is that alright? I reckon they weren't really clear about what 'express' meant so I just took each root and expressed them in terms of XD

kamil9876

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +109
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2009, 02:39:11 am »
haha LOLcat LOL'ed

edit: 666 posts. Will not post anymore so any queries you want to ask me please do so in this thread and I will edit the post accordingly kthx

TT: 3a. Note that B is constant hence you can differentiate flux quite easily in terms of area and speed of bar. 3b. Equate F=ma to F=IDb and use the expression from part a to get rid of I. 3c. Solve the differential equation or be creative like me and find the definite integral of both sides from 0 to T (watch out for change in terminals :))
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 02:47:15 am by kamil9876 »
Voltaire: "There is an astonishing imagination even in the science of mathematics ... We repeat, there is far more imagination in the head of Archimedes than in that of Homer."

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2009, 02:43:25 am »
Kamil how do you solve Q 3 a c b)
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2009, 02:58:05 am »
Answers got ", "

Is that alright? I reckon they weren't really clear about what 'express' meant so I just took each root and expressed them in terms of XD
Hmm
I just wrote for my answers and just ticked it. :S

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2009, 04:30:54 am »
haha LOLcat LOL'ed

edit: 666 posts. Will not post anymore so any queries you want to ask me please do so in this thread and I will edit the post accordingly kthx

TT: 3a. Note that B is constant hence you can differentiate flux quite easily in terms of area and speed of bar. 3b. Equate F=ma to F=IDb and use the expression from part a to get rid of I. 3c. Solve the differential equation or be creative like me and find the definite integral of both sides from 0 to T (watch out for change in terminals :))

you can have this thread i'll make a new one