Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 01, 2024, 11:07:38 am

Author Topic: BIO HELP :)  (Read 839 times)  Share 

_inspire45

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: -
BIO HELP :)
« on: January 27, 2015, 01:37:27 am »
Hey guyss!

So, I have been studying Nature of Biology 2 chapter 2 and took quite good notes on the content. However, I began the chapter review questions and felt that some questions were not explained in the content.  ???

Example, "The folded internal membranes of the mitochondria have many stalked particles on their innermost surfaces. Given the function of mitochondria and where most of the reactions occur, of what advantage might the presence of these particles be for the production of ATP in the organelle"

Though I can guess the answer, I'm still not sure why they hadn't explained about stalked particles in the chapter nor had they explained it in NOB 1. How should I approach such questions?Should I research the answer on the net or use a different Biology book to aid me in such situations?  :-\

Please help guys :)  All answers are appreciated!! :)

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
Re: BIO HELP :)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 11:43:31 pm »
Firstly, you should probably post it in the actual Biology board. This section of the discussion is just for the 2014 exam.

Bio is one of those subjects where you can't just regurgitate information verbatim - you need to learn to apply your knowledge to new and unfamiliar situations. You find that when you do practise exams you'll see you won't have learn't specifically what you're being asked, but you can use your previous biology knowledge to put together an answer. Application of concepts to new situations is crucial in bio and students that can do that will get higher scores.

Here's my answer:

Stalked particles --> greater surface area of mitochondria --> more cellular resp --> more energy