Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 23, 2024, 12:02:01 pm

Author Topic: JMSS Interview help  (Read 18564 times)  Share 

Elysium

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Hogwarts
  • School Grad Year: 2018
JMSS Interview help
« on: August 01, 2015, 09:05:44 am »
So I received an email for an interview at JMSS scheduled for next week. Really need to prepare for this, I'm usually pretty bad with interviews.

Calling all current/past JMSS students, HELP!

Thanks in advance.

dapperduck

• Trendsetter
  • School: ---
Re: JMSS Interview help
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 09:44:12 am »
So I received an email for an interview at JMSS scheduled for next week. Really need to prepare for this, I'm usually pretty bad with interviews.

Calling all current/past JMSS students, HELP!

Thanks in advance.

got an interview as well! what's the date and time of yours?!
and what do you need help with? my sister is a student of jmss so maybe I can help regarding any questions!

Elysium

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 04:00:03 pm »
My interview is at 2:30(ish)

Just want to know what type of questions they ask really. I looked over some threads from the past and they've been great help.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 06:03:55 pm »
+3
Why would you want to move from Hogwarts to JMSS? ;)

bantren

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 08:15:42 pm »
+4
Hey man, I went to the interviews last year and I got accepted (but I turned down the offer).

The interviews are designed to see if you suit the ideals of the school and who you are as a person. If it's the same as it was last year, it won't be a typical interview throughout the whole session. The interviewers and observers, will be taking notes on how you perform under situations and during activities.

Firstly, have confidence in yourself! Trust me, if you rock a positive vibe, the people around you will pick it up and it will make you stand out from the crowd. Be friendly, make some mates on the day will help you a lot. Having some mates with you during the session will really help you feel at ease and comfortable. Your positive attitude will make a very good first impression on the people observing you. Don't go in all tensed and stressed out, go in calm and at ease. Be ready for whatever they throw at you. Just be really chill with the whole thing.

Secondly, as for questions, they're pretty general. Just have a good think about why you want to go to JMSS, how you can benefit from the school and how the school can benefit from you, your interests and ambitions, and a role model/icon of yours. They should show you the questions at the start of the 1 on 1 interview anyway.

Remember, the whole process is really about your character and if you will be an appropriate student for the school.

That's all I can say really. I wish you, and anyone else who made it past the testing, the very best of luck. If you any other questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Elysium

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 11:39:40 am »
Hey man, I went to the interviews last year and I got accepted (but I turned down the offer).

The interviews are designed to see if you suit the ideals of the school and who you are as a person. If it's the same as it was last year, it won't be a typical interview throughout the whole session. The interviewers and observers, will be taking notes on how you perform under situations and during activities.

Firstly, have confidence in yourself! Trust me, if you rock a positive vibe, the people around you will pick it up and it will make you stand out from the crowd. Be friendly, make some mates on the day will help you a lot. Having some mates with you during the session will really help you feel at ease and comfortable. Your positive attitude will make a very good first impression on the people observing you. Don't go in all tensed and stressed out, go in calm and at ease. Be ready for whatever they throw at you. Just be really chill with the whole thing.

Secondly, as for questions, they're pretty general. Just have a good think about why you want to go to JMSS, how you can benefit from the school and how the school can benefit from you, your interests and ambitions, and a role model/icon of yours. They should show you the questions at the start of the 1 on 1 interview anyway.

Remember, the whole process is really about your character and if you will be an appropriate student for the school.

That's all I can say really. I wish you, and anyone else who made it past the testing, the very best of luck. If you any other questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Thanks, could you remember some of the group problems they had?

AkiAnan

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 05:17:52 pm »

this is awesome advice thx bro :) :)

dapperduck

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 05:35:49 pm »
My interview is at 2:30(ish)

Just want to know what type of questions they ask really. I looked over some threads from the past and they've been great help.

yea same here! if you look up school interview questions and practice some answers, you can go into the interview confidently!

bantren

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 08:47:21 pm »
Thanks, could you remember some of the group problems they had?

It'll vary from year to year. But expect plenty of team work activities and exercises.
Last year, they just started the session off with a fun little get-to-know-you game. The later activities we did, were activities that needed everyone in the group to contribute to the discussion, in order to solve the issue logically.
Our overall theme for these activities was a zombie apocalypse, which is pretty awesome tbh.

Just be sure to use your head for these activities, be logical, but also be very co-operative. Showing that you can work in a team means you've got people skills, and everyone loves a 'people' person.

Btw, there may be a couple of individual exercises, which will most certainly mess you up (I didn't even answer the question) they'll get you to do as well.

bantren

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 08:51:43 pm »
this is awesome advice thx bro :) :)

ahaha no worries man, hope you get in! :D

osporth

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 09:25:51 pm »
It'll vary from year to year. But expect plenty of team work activities and exercises.
Last year, they just started the session off with a fun little get-to-know-you game. The later activities we did, were activities that needed everyone in the group to contribute to the discussion, in order to solve the issue logically.
Our overall theme for these activities was a zombie apocalypse, which is pretty awesome tbh.

Just be sure to use your head for these activities, be logical, but also be very co-operative. Showing that you can work in a team means you've got people skills, and everyone loves a 'people' person.

Btw, there may be a couple of individual exercises, which will most certainly mess you up (I didn't even answer the question) they'll get you to do as well.

This info is so good !!

Its awesome that they give a theme to the group activities! I hope there's an awesome theme this year
2017: Psychology [38]

2018: Methods, Viscom, English Language, Chemistry, Uni Chemistry (hopefully!)

Aim: BPharm @ USyd

Elysium

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 07:21:13 pm »
ahaha no worries man, hope you get in! :D

You have no idea how much help you are. Thanks, man.

Also did they have a mini-written test of some sort. I was told that there was an individual test-kinda thing a few years back for the interview.

Elysium

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 08:47:00 pm »
Why would you want to move from Hogwarts to JMSS? ;)

Science > Magic :P

Only saw this now, really late reply.

dapperduck

• Trendsetter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 06:40:17 pm »
how detailed are your answers going to be for private interview questions?

osporth

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 10:48:06 pm »
how detailed are your answers going to be for private interview questions?

I'm going to make sure mine are reasonably long, but not filled with useless information. It really depends on the question, as some could be very short or very long depending on what I have to say,
2017: Psychology [38]

2018: Methods, Viscom, English Language, Chemistry, Uni Chemistry (hopefully!)

Aim: BPharm @ USyd