Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 29, 2024, 02:25:48 pm

Author Topic: Transfer question  (Read 721 times)  Share 

_fruitcake_

Transfer question
« on: August 15, 2015, 05:01:18 pm »
Hi i was wondering how transfers work.
The course i want to do next year is Law/Arts at Monash. I was told that the pathway into that was Arts at Monash, now i was thinking how does that work? Do i do Arts at monash first year? then go into Arts/Law? How does it work? It would be wonderful if someone explained to me :).. also can i transfer from Melbourne Arts to Arts/Law at Monash?

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
Re: Transfer question
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 06:02:25 pm »
+1
IT is a competitive process. There are a limited number of spots (lets say 100). This is just like getting into uni or VCE. How do they select those who get in? Usually they give the #1 place to the person with the #1 highest grades, #2 place to the #2 person with the highest grades, etc.

If you gain entry into arts and maintain a competitive grade, in all likelyhood you will be able to translate into law. However, if you fail to get a good enough grade, you will be stuck in arts.

If you are able, it is best to try gain entry into law/arts right off the bat rather than transferring in. If that isn't successful, then i would look at going down the transfer route.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

extremeftw

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +25
Re: Transfer question
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 06:29:18 pm »
+1
 I don't know if Law accepts mid-year transfers (you could easily find this information somewhere on the Monash website) but if it does you could just do one semester and then transfer (assuming you maintain a high enough average).

The process is pretty easy. You just submit a transfer form to the managing faculty of the double degree and then they email you a few weeks later notifying you of the status of your application. I would assume for Arts/Law (since it is one of the most competitive courses at Monash) that you would need an average around 80 (i.e. a high distinction average) to have a really good chance at being successful. 75+ for sure.

Edit: From having a quick look at the law transfers page (http://www.monash.edu/law/future-students/undergraduate/pathways) you would need to complete one full year of study before transferring as it says you need to have done a minimum of 48 credit points (each unit usually gives 6 credit points and you do 4 units a semester which equals 48 credit points over a year).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:33:05 pm by extremeftw »