Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 23, 2024, 12:57:57 pm

Author Topic: Getting into Postgrad medicine  (Read 5577 times)  Share 

FarAwaySS2

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Getting into Postgrad medicine
« on: December 17, 2015, 04:43:58 pm »
+1
I'm planning to do Pharmacy at Monash for 2016 and I also wish to do my masters in medicine so that I can practise as a doctor. I was wondering if there was any pathway to Medicine at either UoM or Monash University if I decide to do Pharmacy?
InspirationMotivationDetermination.

MelonBar

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +58
Re: Getting into Postgrad medicine
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 10:32:57 am »
+3
Rn, yes to both unis but there will be pre-reqs you would need to satisfy. By the time you apply though things could be different. There are rumours that melb uni are only going to let ppl who did their undergrads there to apply for their MD in the near future.
2012: VCE
2013-2015: BSc (Neuroscience) @ UoM

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 01:34:07 pm »
Rn, yes to both unis but there will be pre-reqs you would need to satisfy. By the time you apply though things could be different. There are rumours that melb uni are only going to let ppl who did their undergrads there to apply for their MD in the near future.

Will Deakin keep their prerequisite requirements the same (no prereqs needed) as the BMBS is an undergraduate course, and not graduate?
2015: VCE
2016: BCivEng(Hons)/BCom at MU

Feel free to PM me for your engineering queries

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 02:19:15 pm »
+2
Who knows. Moving goal posts in this space are to be expected.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 11:52:52 am »
Who knows. Moving goal posts in this space are to be expected.

Damn. I really hope they don't add prerequisites because that would really ruin my plans...

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 12:10:18 pm »
+2
Deakin's medical degree is definitely not undergraduate entry FYI

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 12:18:11 pm »
Deakin's medical degree is definitely not undergraduate entry FYI

Technically it isn't, but it is.

The Deakin med school offer the BMBS which is equivalent to the MBBS, but they only offer it at a post graduate level (You have to have a completed Bachelors to apply, at the moment, you can apply with any bachelors, from arts to engineering). It has the same hurdles as every other med school:

- ~6.7+ GPA

- ~67 GAMSAT

However, there is one special (and exciting difference for me) difference. They don't require any prerequisites like Anatomy or whatever, which is cool for me because my double won't have any room for it. I'm sure you already know all this...

So yeah...its a pretty cool thing that Deakin has done, hopefully they don't change it. As it is technically an undergrad, I doubt they will, but who knows? Its just getting more competitive, so its just a matter of time.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 12:26:25 pm »
+5
If you're serious about getting into med (are you?), I don't know why you're doing a course where you can't do the pre-reqs for UoM MD. Seems rather nonsensical to me.

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 12:43:25 pm »
If you're serious about getting into med (are you?), I don't know why you're doing a course where you can't do the pre-reqs for UoM MD. Seems rather nonsensical to me.

Dude. I know you are trying to help, but I've got to be realistic. I didn't get a 99.90 ATAR and I'm not assured a place in medicine. I know all of you think I'm stupid, but I'm smart enough to know that getting into medicine for me isn't very likely. Sure, I'm going to work extremely hard, but there are people who got 99s and awesome scores like that who struggled to get in, or didn't get in at all. I'm trying to find a way that will more or less 'secure' me a job, and will give me an opportunity to go after the 'dream'.

I don't want to graduate in 3 years time with a Bachelor of Science, and not be able to use it. Sure I can do a Master of Engineering, or master or finance, but from what I've heard, over qualification is a big thing in this country, and I don't want to be affected by it.

I'm really looking forward to Engineering and Commerce next year, and its something I really want to do, its just that I would also like the opportunity to get into med school, and become a doctor. I know you're all like, "This kid wants everything", and its true. i can't decide.

However, I need to be realistic about my options.

So...is it a crime to not let your dreams be memes?

EDIT: Yes I am for realz
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 01:09:13 pm by Orson »

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 01:12:10 pm »
+4
Dude. I know you are trying to help, but I've got to be realistic. I didn't get a 99.90 ATAR and I'm not assured a place in medicine. I know all of you think I'm stupid, but I'm smart enough to know that getting into medicine for me isn't very likely.

I think there might have been a miscommunication, although I can definitely understand your feelings on the matter.

I highly doubt anyone thinks you're stupid, you're just taking a rather odd path to get to your end goal. The whole reason degrees like the BA and BSc exist are for people like you who HAVE broad interests - there just seems to be a bit of a misconception in that you think these degrees aren't employable? Both myself and silverpixeli are taking these degrees because they'll take us where we need to go, so you can definitely find work out of it.

I do have a feeling you've hit b the cynical side of the Internet if you think overqualification is that big a problem, though. Don't let other people scare you into taking a bad path.

At the end of the day, if this is the path you want to take, take it - we might not understand it, but we won't judge it, and I'm sure anyone who made you feel judged did not mean it. Having said that, take this path because YOU WANT to take it - not because the internet has scared you into thinking another path will make you overqualified or jobless.

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 01:23:30 pm »
I think there might have been a miscommunication, although I can definitely understand your feelings on the matter.

I highly doubt anyone thinks you're stupid, you're just taking a rather odd path to get to your end goal. The whole reason degrees like the BA and BSc exist are for people like you who HAVE broad interests - there just seems to be a bit of a misconception in that you think these degrees aren't employable? Both myself and silverpixeli are taking these degrees because they'll take us where we need to go, so you can definitely find work out of it.

I do have a feeling you've hit b the cynical side of the Internet if you think overqualification is that big a problem, though. Don't let other people scare you into taking a bad path.

At the end of the day, if this is the path you want to take, take it - we might not understand it, but we won't judge it, and I'm sure anyone who made you feel judged did not mean it. Having said that, take this path because YOU WANT to take it - not because the internet has scared you into thinking another path will make you overqualified or jobless.

Thanks man...

This is the pathway I want to take. It covers everything I like, and everything I have interests in. I am by no means saying anything bad about the BSc and the BA. I'm sure if you ace all your subjects, like you and silverpixeli are doing, you'll be fine. I'm scared that if I do a BSc, and if I don't do exceptionally well, that I won't be left with any options. I know that you are chosen for Masters programs on account of your GPA, and nothing much else. I'm just treading really carefully is all.

My ATAR showed me that I had really overestimated my own abilities, and I really don't want that to happen again. I really just scraped into my course, so I'm being kind of weary now.

I don't want to end up with a BSc with a GPA of like 2.0 and have no where to go.

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 01:27:29 pm »
+3
Thanks man...

This is the pathway I want to take. It covers everything I like, and everything I have interests in. I am by no means saying anything bad about the BSc and the BA. I'm sure if you ace all your subjects, like you and silverpixeli are doing, you'll be fine. I'm scared that if I do a BSc, and if I don't do exceptionally well, that I won't be left with any options. I know that you are chosen for Masters programs on account of your GPA, and nothing much else. I'm just treading really carefully is all.

My ATAR showed me that I had really overestimated my own abilities, and I really don't want that to happen again. I really just scraped into my course, so I'm being kind of weary now.

I don't want to end up with a BSc with a GPA of like 2.0 and have no where to go.
Alright, well let me say this:

Your ATAR is NOT an accurate indication of how well you will do at university. This probably won't hit home until after your first semester, but I just want that out in the open.

I'm sure you "know" that the two are unrelated, but you'll only properly understand this after you get results back. My only real advice is to try and not let things like "how well will I actually score?" bog your head in the meantime.

All the best, man - you'll kill it.

Pawnpusher

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 01:29:12 pm »
+1
I didn't get a 99.90 ATAR and I'm not assured a place in medicine. I know all of you think I'm stupid, but I'm smart enough to know that getting into medicine for me isn't very likely. Sure, I'm going to work extremely hard, but there are people who got 99s and awesome scores like that who struggled to get in, or didn't get in at all.

Stop thinking about 99 ATARs, it means nothing. Get into your undergrad course, check out how it goes and then move on from there.

It takes a couple of numbers to determine your body mass index, you really think it takes one number, your atar, to determine your future?

SammyBoy

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 01:30:05 pm »
Dude. I know you are trying to help, but I've got to be realistic. I didn't get a 99.90 ATAR and I'm not assured a place in medicine. I know all of you think I'm stupid, but I'm smart enough to know that getting into medicine for me isn't very likely. Sure, I'm going to work extremely hard, but there are people who got 99s and awesome scores like that who struggled to get in, or didn't get in at all. I'm trying to find a way that will more or less 'secure' me a job, and will give me an opportunity to go after the 'dream'.

I don't want to graduate in 3 years time with a Bachelor of Science, and not be able to use it. Sure I can do a Master of Engineering, or master or finance, but from what I've heard, over qualification is a big thing in this country, and I don't want to be affected by it.

I'm really looking forward to Engineering and Commerce next year, and its something I really want to do, its just that I would also like the opportunity to get into med school, and become a doctor. I know you're all like, "This kid wants everything", and its true. i can't decide.

However, I need to be realistic about my options.

So...is it a crime to not let your dreams be memes?

EDIT: Yes I am for realz
Why not do a engineering/science double degree?
Doing postgraduate medicine without any background in bio/chem would probably be very difficult, you say that you're not sure if you can get into medicine but then you would be making it harder for yourself by having very little foundation knowledge. Deakin may also look at what you've previously studied as part of their selection criteria and you would be up against people who have done biomed and science degrees. Why not do engineering/science as this would have the same job opportunities as eng/comm and allow you to fufill prerequisites and you would be much less limited for post grad med.

ChickenCh0wM1en

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 01:30:20 pm »
+5
If it's any comfort to you guys I had <98 ATAR and still got a spot in the MD. Just work hard if you really want it and try your best.
BSc (2015), MD1 (2016)
Tutoring in 2016: http://www.tutorfinder.com.au/tutors/detail.php?TutorID=78301
Chuck a PM if interested :)

Available for tutoring on the summer holidays for university subjects or VCe.
Also tutoring for the Melbourne uni MMIs (medical/physiotherapy interviews)

Please don't PM me for lecture slides or recordings. I don't have them anymore.