Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 01, 2024, 08:19:06 pm

Author Topic: 3U Maths Question Thread  (Read 1249386 times)  Share 

yasmineturner

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Philips
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: 3U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #1680 on: March 17, 2017, 05:49:03 pm »
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me with the following question, as I don't know where to start:

A ball is thrown into the air at an initial velocity of 22m/s and just clears a 2m tall fence 15m away. Find the angle of projection through which the ball is thrown (use g=9.8m/s^2 and ignore friction)

Thankyou so much,
Yasmine

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1681 on: March 17, 2017, 08:48:41 pm »
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me with the following question, as I don't know where to start:

A ball is thrown into the air at an initial velocity of 22m/s and just clears a 2m tall fence 15m away. Find the angle of projection through which the ball is thrown (use g=9.8m/s^2 and ignore friction)

Thankyou so much,
Yasmine

Hey Yasmine!

Let's start by using the horizontal displacement formula to find how LONG it takes to reach the fence:

We can substitute this into the vertical displacement formula, because at this value of time, the vertical displacement is 2 metres!

Remembering that \(\sec^2{\theta}=1+\tan^2{\theta}\), you can then turn that into a quadratic equation in terms of \(\tan{\theta}\) and use the quadratic equation to solve!!

Let me know if you need that last bit done in a little more detail, but hopefully this helps! ;D

hanaacdr

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1682 on: March 18, 2017, 10:52:49 am »
can i please get some help with this projectile motion

yasmineturner

• Trailblazer
  • School: St Philips
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1683 on: March 18, 2017, 12:41:21 pm »
Hey Yasmine!

Let's start by using the horizontal displacement formula to find how LONG it takes to reach the fence:

We can substitute this into the vertical displacement formula, because at this value of time, the vertical displacement is 2 metres!

Remembering that \(\sec^2{\theta}=1+\tan^2{\theta}\), you can then turn that into a quadratic equation in terms of \(\tan{\theta}\) and use the quadratic equation to solve!!

Let me know if you need that last bit done in a little more detail, but hopefully this helps! ;D

Thanks ! :)

Dragomistress

• Trendsetter
  • School: James Ruse Agricultural High School
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #1684 on: March 18, 2017, 02:52:26 pm »
Hey, just a question.

Should mathematics and mathematics extension 1 notes be combined or separate?

liamwindeyer

• Adventurer
  • Jamon's Brother
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1685 on: March 18, 2017, 03:20:52 pm »
+2
Hey, just a question.

Best to separate them I'd say. It can get confusing when 2-Unit and 3-Unit content are together, because it might be difficult in determining which content lines up with which course. But it should be alright to keep them together if it's clear which content is 2-Unit and which is 3-Unit, since Extension is usually branching off of assumed knowledge from 2-Unit anyway. But when time for testing comes around, chances are you are going to want to focus on content which you know is going to be in the test specific to the course - so it'd be more convenient to have the content separate

However, if you're one to study 2-Unit through your Extension study (working through Extension will have 2-Unit come up constantly) - then keeping it together doesn't become much of a problem as long as you understand how the content is split up

TLDR; Either is fine as long as you are comfortable in keeping a handle on all of the content and where it belongs  :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #1686 on: March 18, 2017, 03:36:25 pm »
Hey, just a question.

Separate.

There's this thing about people saying "oh I'm going to study for maths now", but when they actually study they end up just focusing on the easier or the harder one. (Not specific, because this applies to 4U students as well.) Having the notes combined does a bit in luring students into this trap. You will look at the Extension paper and think uh, maybe later, which is the first sign of procrastination. Or you will look at the 2U paper and say yeah well duh, but then pay the price in the exam.

Where possible, always split so you get into the habit of only using one set of notes for 2U and one set for 3U. It may even be better to duplicate a copy of your 2U notes if you forget what 2U stuff to use in 3U, or use a separate 2U-for-3U sheet of information on it to guide you. Avoid combining them because it will cause confusion, or the scenario above.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1687 on: March 18, 2017, 05:12:46 pm »
+1
Hey, just a question.

I'm actually going to throw the opposing opinion out there! I didn't make notes for Math, but I did make posters, and I did keep the 2U and 3U content together. For me, it was just easier to have Math resources - I wanted to cater to my skill set as a whole and not segregate things too much, because ultimately 2U content is essential for 3U ;D

That said, I did use a different colour on the posters for Extension content, just for my reference. But for me, it was easier to have a poster with formulae for Trigonometry, not two posters for 2U Trig and 3U Trig :) :)

But ultimately, as Liam said - Go with your gut. As I always say for Math anyway, notes are secondary to your study - Do whatever is easiest for you in your Notes to make your practice easier for you ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1688 on: March 18, 2017, 05:57:04 pm »
can i please get some help with this projectile motion

Sure! You might have to read this a few times - This projectile question is nuts, I remember doing it in my HSC year.

Let's not put numbers in until the end. So we know it reaches a maximum height of \(2h\) (double the pole) - I'm assuming you can derive the projectile motion formulae. This happens when the vertical velocity is zero:

We substitute that value into the formula for vertical displacement:

So that's one formula. NOW, let's consider when it gets to the height of the bird, \(y=h\), and use this relationship:

This is a quadratic equation in terms of \(t\), which we can solve with the quadratic formula. You'll get this:

Let's take stock, that is the time of flight before it reaches the height of the pole. The higher of these is when the bird is struck, because the bird is struck on the way down. Keep in mind also that the bird is travelling 10 metres per second to the right through the time of flight. We can obtain a distance expression:

Now keep in mind that the rock was thrown to hit the bird. So, it also reaches a height of h at the point where the bird started. Meaning, the time taken for the rock we threw to travel the distance travelled by the bird is just the difference between the two roots of the quadratic (since each corresponds to a time of flight to reach y=h):

We have a horizontal distance travelled and a horizontal time taken, we can use that to find horizontal velocity (since there is no horizontal acceleration):

hanaacdr

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1689 on: March 18, 2017, 08:31:10 pm »
Sure! You might have to read this a few times - This projectile question is nuts, I remember doing it in my HSC year.

Let's not put numbers in until the end. So we know it reaches a maximum height of \(2h\) (double the pole) - I'm assuming you can derive the projectile motion formulae. This happens when the vertical velocity is zero:

We substitute that value into the formula for vertical displacement:

So that's one formula. NOW, let's consider when it gets to the height of the bird, \(y=h\), and use this relationship:

This is a quadratic equation in terms of \(t\), which we can solve with the quadratic formula. You'll get this:

Let's take stock, that is the time of flight before it reaches the height of the pole. The higher of these is when the bird is struck, because the bird is struck on the way down. Keep in mind also that the bird is travelling 10 metres per second to the right through the time of flight. We can obtain a distance expression:

Now keep in mind that the rock was thrown to hit the bird. So, it also reaches a height of h at the point where the bird started. Meaning, the time taken for the rock we threw to travel the distance travelled by the bird is just the difference between the two roots of the quadratic (since each corresponds to a time of flight to reach y=h):

We have a horizontal distance travelled and a horizontal time taken, we can use that to find horizontal velocity (since there is no horizontal acceleration):

that makes sense!
thank you!

Dragomistress

• Trendsetter
  • School: James Ruse Agricultural High School
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #1690 on: March 19, 2017, 09:17:17 am »
Just another question, what should I do once I pick up mathematics extension 2? What will happen to my mathematics and extension 1 notes?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1691 on: March 19, 2017, 11:50:02 am »
Just another question, what should I do once I pick up mathematics extension 2? What will happen to my mathematics and extension 1 notes?

I'd just do whatever has worked for Math and MX1 - The 2U notes will stop being as useful, but are still relevant for the MX1 exam ;D pretty much, whatever feels like it will work best, do that ;D

J.B

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1692 on: March 19, 2017, 06:23:16 pm »
Hi I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me with this question?
I have an extra cos^5x in my answer.

The answer is -1/3 cos^3x + C

Thx

kiwiberry

• HSC LECTURER
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #1693 on: March 19, 2017, 06:28:54 pm »
+3
Hi I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me with this question?
I have an extra cos^5x in my answer.

(Image removed from quote.)

The answer is -1/3 cos^3x + C

Thx

HSC 2017: English Adv (93) | Maths Ext 1 (99) | Maths Ext 2 (97) | Chemistry (95) | Physics (95)
ATAR: 99.85

teapancakes08

• Forum Regular
  • "Smile for another day"
« Reply #1694 on: March 19, 2017, 09:00:55 pm »
Max/min troubles TT-TT

Approached this question using
V = 16(16-2x)^2 and then got lost. Apparently x = 8/3 and I got 8

...I honestly have no idea where the 1/3 went
Certified awkward turtle; HSC '17