Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:12:46 am

Author Topic: Top Tip for Memorising Statistics (and all the World War I Stats You'll Need!)  (Read 21807 times)  Share 

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
CHECK THE ATTACHMENT! (you may need to log in to see it)

Throughout your Modern History journey, there is one thing that is absolutely certain: you will have to memorise literally hundreds and hundreds of specific, accurate, relevant and detailed examples to back up any point you make. Modern history is nothing without statistics, and whilst I personally think it is silly that you have to memorise them as opposed to having an open book exam, that’s just the situation you are in!

Note that the following methods works perfectly with any other content-heavy subject!
The technique I used to memorise statistics was work sheets. Basically, I would write out my own worksheets with blank spaces, photocopy the worksheets a hundred times, and fill out the worksheet 5 times a day for weeks and weeks.

Amazingly, it works. It almost doubled the number of statistics I remember for my Modern History HSC.

I was going to release two resources, one about worksheets and one about World War I. Instead, I thought I’d just combine them into one! Check the attachment for the actual worksheets :)

The way I would use worksheets is as follows.

For each section (dotpoint perhaps?) I would write a worksheet with ONLY the absolutely crucial statistics that you are planning to remember. That means maybe 10-15 statistics per subtopic, max. Make a worksheet for each topic, and use it throughout the year to help you learn what you need to learn!

Below are the statistics I used for World War I, in Worksheet (and then answer) form. If you choose to just use mine, I can promise you that you DON’T NEED ANY MORE. That being said, if you have your own statistics please please just use yours (and make your own worksheets!). Also, remember that a lot of different sources use a lot of different statistics, which are often contradictory. Mine were mainly given to me by my teachers or found in books by prominent historians. You may have conflicting statistics; the fact is we are not always 100% sure!

Whilst I’ve only written the worksheets below for World War I, you can write your own for the entire curriculum!

Obviously this doesn’t help for an actual thesis, but it definitely does help memorising statistics.

I really hope this helps! Feel free to comment with any questions, additions, corrections, comments, criticisms etc. etc. etc.

Jake :)

CHECK THE ATTACHMENT!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:26:55 am by brenden »
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

[email protected]

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Crestwood High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Hi Jake,
Just wondering if you were able to please post the worksheets you used for national study Germany and personality Albert Speer (if you studied him)?
If you could that would be great thanks so much!!

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
Hi Jake,
Just wondering if you were able to please post the worksheets you used for national study Germany and personality Albert Speer (if you studied him)?
If you could that would be great thanks so much!!

Hey Laura!

Unfortunately I don't actually have worksheets for that section yet, however I definitely plan to develop them in the next few months. If anyone else would like to help develop them, by producing their own and sending them through, that would seriously help the community! I would also be happy to check over any such notes and make sure they are helpful/accurate :)

Jake

KarenCho

• Trailblazer
  • Year 11 | NSW Class of 2017
  • Respect: +3
  • School: GHS
  • School Grad Year: 2017
+1
This is awesome, thank you so much Jake! :)
Preliminary Subjects
Advanced English
Extension 1 English
Legal Studies
Business Studies
Modern History
Ancient History
Society and Culture
-
"Do something today that your future self will thank you for"

Belkelly

• Adventurer
  • "Nothing worth having comes easy"
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Tumut High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
+1
Hi Jake,

Thanks so much for this, its super super helpful!
I'm also going to study Germany as my national topic and Albert Speer, so I look forward to those worksheets :)
Unfortunately I haven't started yet, but when I do I'll try making some worksheets up on my own as practice and send them to you.
Btw, the worksheets on WW1, are they in order in which you studied them?? Or just in any old order?

Thanks again, I love this site!

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
Hi Jake,

Thanks so much for this, its super super helpful!
I'm also going to study Germany as my national topic and Albert Speer, so I look forward to those worksheets :)
Unfortunately I haven't started yet, but when I do I'll try making some worksheets up on my own as practice and send them to you.
Btw, the worksheets on WW1, are they in order in which you studied them?? Or just in any old order?

Thanks again, I love this site!

Hey Belkelly!

They are in the order that I studied them :) I'll try to make equivalents for other topics, although they may only come later in the year. In the meantime, please feel free to send practice worksheets through! I'm really glad you enjoy the resource.

Jake

bananamilk9936

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Katoomba High School
Hi jake, I'm also doing Germany as a national study and it would be wonderful if you could post some worksheets on Leni Riefenstahl as well. That would be a great big help. Cheers!  :D ;D

mzaria

• Adventurer
thanks very much jake! my mum used this exact method to teach my brother and i our timetables back in primary school.
ATAR goal: >80
(or over 69 since I applied for SRS)

Subjects:
- Advanced English
- Mathematics
- Mathematics extension 1
- Ancient history
- Modern history
- History extension
- Legal studies

Course: Combined bachelor of Visual communications and International studies (ATAR of 94 ish)

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
thanks very much jake! my mum used this exact method to teach my brother and i our timetables back in primary school.

Hopefully it doesn't bring back too many horrible memories of timestables! Would highly recommend giving it a go for history; an old technique, but a great one!

Emerald99

Thank you! This is going to be so helpful to use! Another suggestion for learning ww1 would be to maybe watch some ww1 movies and see trench life and impact of war on civilians that way its easier to learn b/c you're visually seeing it

nikkiglitzy_25

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Strathfield Girls High School
Hi, do you have any worksheets for Germany/Speer/Conflict in Europe by any chance? BTW this WW1 worksheet is a life saviour! The only reason i survived trials section 1 was because of this!

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
Hi, do you have any worksheets for Germany/Speer/Conflict in Europe by any chance? BTW this WW1 worksheet is a life saviour! The only reason i survived trials section 1 was because of this!

I'm glad to hear that the worksheets were helpful! Unfortunately, I don't have any worksheets for those sections at this stage, although I should really get around to making some. I don't think that'll help you very much for your HSC though! Try making some of your own, and feel free to send them through to me :)

Jake

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
+6
Hey :) I uploaded this to the notes page, but I thought I'd put it here as well because it's pretty relevant haha.

Throughout the year I've been compiling a detail table, full of quotes and statistics, for WW1, Russia, Trotsky and the Cold War. It's organised by syllabus dot point, and helped me out a bunch during the trials so I thought I'd put it here in case it can help someone else out as well :)

These aren't content notes per say, but moreso interesting facts and statistics to impress the markers, and make it look like you really know your stuff.

Good luck! xx
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 12:58:43 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
Hey :) I uploaded this to the notes page, but I thought I'd put it here as well because it's pretty relevant haha.

Throughout the year I've been compiling a detail table, full of quotes and statistics, for WW1, Russia, Trotsky and the Cold War. It's organised by syllabus dot point, and helped me out a bunch during the trials so I thought I'd put it here in case it can help someone else out as well :)

These aren't content notes per say, but moreso interesting facts and statistics to impress the markers, and make it look like you really know your stuff.

Good luck! xx

This is a goddamned incredible resource. Like honestly I'm so impressed right now.

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4

Good luck! xx

Ooft!! That's some quality stuff!! Thanks for the upload