Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 04, 2024, 09:27:58 pm

Author Topic: Pompeii and Heculaneum  (Read 1286 times)  Share 

aaron_solomon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Pompeii and Heculaneum
« on: July 15, 2016, 12:16:18 pm »
hey, i was reading through the HTA and i have no idea that this means can you please help??
what does it mean by temples dedicated to the imperial cult paid homage to defied emperors?

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
Re: Pompeii and Heculaneum
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 01:00:00 pm »
I don't do modern history but I'll just post this link here (just in case it helps you): http://pompeii.virginia.edu/icbmap.html

On your keyboard, do "control f" then type in temple

Hope that helps  ;D

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 01:34:17 pm »
hey, i was reading through the HTA and i have no idea that this means can you please help??
what does it mean by temples dedicated to the imperial cult paid homage to defied emperors?

This is my understanding of the statement (I'm no expert so take this with a grain of salt):

The Imperial Cult of Ancient Rome was a religion which worshipped defied ("Defied" means that they have been given a "god-like" status) emperors and some members of their families :) So if a temple were to be dedicated to the Imperial Cult (for example the Temple of Vespasian in Pompeii) then it was designed to pay homage or "worship" said deified emperors/family members (such as Augustus, Livia [Augustus' wife], Claudius, Vespasian etc.). I find it easier to understand when (if possible) you can relate stuff back to modern times, so think about it this way. In the same way that a Catholic Church dedicated to Christianity would pay homage to the Christian God, Temples of the Imperial Cult would pay homage to their form of a Deity (the Emperors).

Hope this answered your question (and that it made sense!)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:40:03 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

aaron_solomon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 06:23:12 pm »
Thank you so much :) this helps a lot