Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 08:30:18 pm

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 353466 times)  Share 

aimbotted

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #240 on: October 08, 2016, 07:53:10 pm »
would you guys recommend knowing the meiosis diagram? or any particular diagrams?

:3

• Forum Regular
  • (─‿‿─)(─‿‿─)(─‿‿─)
« Reply #241 on: October 08, 2016, 08:01:19 pm »
would you guys recommend knowing the meiosis diagram? or any particular diagrams?
I highly recommend it (the diagrams on page 168 from the Chidrawi biology textbook are pretty decent).

You may be asked to examine a diagram showing one of the stages of meiosis and describe/explain what is happening.

Also, it helps with understanding what is happening during each of the stages of meiosis.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 08:04:12 pm by :3 »

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
  • It's never to late to start, so just get it done
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #242 on: October 08, 2016, 09:04:58 pm »
Here are a few from my textbook that I used, they're pretty good
ATAR: 93

English (Advanced): 88
Mathematics: 81
Biology: 91
Physics: 85
Chemistry: 82
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 88

Most of my knowledge lies in Bio so ask me anything on that

aimbotted

• Forum Regular
« Reply #243 on: October 08, 2016, 09:11:52 pm »
Here are a few from my textbook that I used, they're pretty good

legend! thanks skidoos :p

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #244 on: October 08, 2016, 09:14:15 pm »
legend! thanks skidoos :p
NP
Don't get mad at the spelling, it was a mistake

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #245 on: October 09, 2016, 02:22:39 pm »
Not a question but just a reminder
THE HSC REQUIRES YOU TO USE BLACK PENS

If any of you guys who still have to buy pens and other materials for the exam please keep this in mind to make sure you don't waste your moneys

Good luck to all for the English Exams coming up and then the Bio exam after that :)

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
  • "Mistakes are proof that you are trying!"
« Reply #246 on: October 09, 2016, 02:34:43 pm »
Not a question but just a reminder
THE HSC REQUIRES YOU TO USE BLACK PENS

If any of you guys who still have to buy pens and other materials for the exam please keep this in mind to make sure you don't waste your moneys

Good luck to all for the English Exams coming up and then the Bio exam after that :)

Thanks for the reminder!! I actually forgot that new rule. Does anyone know now that they are scanning exam whether we still draw diagrams in pencil or do we have to do them all in pen now??
--HSC subjects--
Music 1 | Biology | Society and Culture | Spanish Beginners | Math ext 1 & 2 | English Advanced | English ext 1 & 2

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #247 on: October 09, 2016, 02:48:10 pm »
Thanks for the reminder!! I actually forgot that new rule. Does anyone know now that they are scanning exam whether we still draw diagrams in pencil or do we have to do them all in pen now??
I am pretty sure it said on the trials "Draw diagrams using pencil" but who knows. I would pack a pencil in your little clear ziplock bag or whatever you do (and an eraser, a sharpener and another pencil- no use spending half the exam trying to sharpen up a pencil thats snapped)
If it doesnt say it on the front, then draw using pen. If it does, draw it using pencil. My biology teacher said you actually dont get penalised for doing diagrams in pen, but if you make a mistake, it is much easier to rub out pencil rather than leaving the marker scrambling all over the exam to see where you did in pen and crossed it out.

Just a word of advice from one bio student to another, and good luck everyone! (May the odds be ever in your favour :D)

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #248 on: October 09, 2016, 03:02:14 pm »
I am pretty sure it said on the trials "Draw diagrams using pencil" but who knows. I would pack a pencil in your little clear ziplock bag or whatever you do (and an eraser, a sharpener and another pencil- no use spending half the exam trying to sharpen up a pencil thats snapped)
If it doesnt say it on the front, then draw using pen. If it does, draw it using pencil. My biology teacher said you actually dont get penalised for doing diagrams in pen, but if you make a mistake, it is much easier to rub out pencil rather than leaving the marker scrambling all over the exam to see where you did in pen and crossed it out.

Just a word of advice from one bio student to another, and good luck everyone! (May the odds be ever in your favour :D)

You should draw diagrams in pencil yes but everything else should be black pens

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #249 on: October 09, 2016, 03:04:09 pm »
You should draw diagrams in pencil yes but everything else should be black pens
Everything else HAS to be in black pen. No excuses. If it gets scanned in to the markers and they cant read it because you have put it in pencil, you dont get marked. That simple.

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #250 on: October 09, 2016, 05:15:19 pm »
I thought that there weren't many people asking this question except me and there wasn't much response to it I'd help everyone out

Australian Biologists

Male
George L Gabor Miklos, PhD: Founder of Atomic Oncology, Sydney, Australia
Holds a PhD in Genetics and has extensive laboratory experience in diverse biological disciplines. He has provided advice to international firms and individuals in the areas of advanced molecular technologies and clinical trials, including being an advisor to the Human Genome Project conducted at CELERA.
His current interests take in the multiple uses of laser ablation-based diagnostics in various neoplasms, clinical trials of prostate cancer screening, detection and drug treatments of breast cancer, the mechanisms of radioresistance in different organisms, and the stability of Attractor Basins in normal versus tumorous tissues. He is an outspoken advocate for complete data release and transparency in clinical trials. George Miklos’ disclosures of potential conflicts of interest relating to Atomic Oncology.

Female
Denisse Leyton: PhD in Microbiology
She studied at Monash University on autotransporters, a superfamily of bacterial outer membrane proteins typically found in bacterial pathogens responsible for infectious diseases such as diarrhea, whooping cough, cholera, chlamydia, and bacterial meningitis. Here she identified two novel autotransporter proteins and determined how their function contributed to bacterial virulence. Denisse then moved to the University of Birmingham (UK) for a post-doctoral position where her research efforts focused on the mechanisms underpinning autotransporter secretion
At The ANU, Denisse and her research group will focus on understanding the mechanisms of autotransporter assembly, their function, and on their reengineering for biotechnological applications.

Hopefully this information can be useful and assist in your studies and get you out of a tight pinch if it turns up in this years HSC

Hope this Helps

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #251 on: October 09, 2016, 05:24:58 pm »
I thought that there weren't many people asking this question except me and there wasn't much response to it I'd help everyone out

Australian Biologists

Male
George L Gabor Miklos, PhD: Founder of Atomic Oncology, Sydney, Australia
Holds a PhD in Genetics and has extensive laboratory experience in diverse biological disciplines. He has provided advice to international firms and individuals in the areas of advanced molecular technologies and clinical trials, including being an advisor to the Human Genome Project conducted at CELERA.
His current interests take in the multiple uses of laser ablation-based diagnostics in various neoplasms, clinical trials of prostate cancer screening, detection and drug treatments of breast cancer, the mechanisms of radioresistance in different organisms, and the stability of Attractor Basins in normal versus tumorous tissues. He is an outspoken advocate for complete data release and transparency in clinical trials. George Miklos’ disclosures of potential conflicts of interest relating to Atomic Oncology.

Female
Denisse Leyton: PhD in Microbiology
She studied at Monash University on autotransporters, a superfamily of bacterial outer membrane proteins typically found in bacterial pathogens responsible for infectious diseases such as diarrhea, whooping cough, cholera, chlamydia, and bacterial meningitis. Here she identified two novel autotransporter proteins and determined how their function contributed to bacterial virulence. Denisse then moved to the University of Birmingham (UK) for a post-doctoral position where her research efforts focused on the mechanisms underpinning autotransporter secretion
At The ANU, Denisse and her research group will focus on understanding the mechanisms of autotransporter assembly, their function, and on their reengineering for biotechnological applications.

Hopefully this information can be useful and assist in your studies and get you out of a tight pinch if it turns up in this years HSC

Hope this Helps

Lol thanks :D now i just have remember it all as well 160 or so other dot points in eleven days. (Not meaning to be sarcastic at all)

Should get me a few marks though just knowing the names :P

aimbotted

• Forum Regular
« Reply #252 on: October 09, 2016, 05:50:54 pm »
Lol thanks :D now i just have remember it all as well 160 or so other dot points in eleven days. (Not meaning to be sarcastic at all)

Should get me a few marks though just knowing the names :P

hey there bud, what dot point requires australian biologists? i don't recall any

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #253 on: October 09, 2016, 06:11:03 pm »

hey there bud, what dot point requires australian biologists? i don't recall any

It is some dot point right at the beginning of the syllabus where all the skills are (I think it's 9.1 or something like that) and it's in one of the research sections so it can turn up.

Another similar thing is even though there is not dot point referring to Macfarlane Burnett you can get asked a question on him as his name is in the title of the dotpoint for search for better health
Hope this helps

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #254 on: October 09, 2016, 06:53:53 pm »

Hey,
Be careful to look at the Biology skills (9.1) section of the syllabus!
12.3 e) explicitly states "identify practising male and female scientists, the areas they currently working in and their research"

They can ask anything from 9.1 as this is all assumed knowledge. I would be kicking myself quite hard if i didnt study this and it turned out to be an 8 marker.

Only 11 days till the Bio exam, so get cracking on this section now :D
Best of luck everyone and hope this helps