Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 10, 2024, 11:42:46 pm

Author Topic: CSSA Trial Paper One 2016  (Read 40220 times)

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
Re: CSSA Trial Paper One 2016
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2016, 07:38:37 pm »
+1
OMG this is so true!! Come out of exams next Tuesday and my Design and Tech is due on the friday. (Not due for everyone else until the thursday after, but because our teacher loves to see us work under pressure its earlier)
Have to finish my folio, print all the stuff off, photocopy and include my sketches, bind it all and have it handed in three days after my trials finish. Wow.

As I say. They just love us.
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2016, 04:45:49 pm »
Just got paper one back and I did well, but my worst section by far was the comprehension :( The marker said I didn't reference the question enough, but I had tried to interpret it by linking to the rubric statement I thought it was referring to. The 5 marker question I did poorly on as well, as the teacher thought I didn't pick the best two texts (isn't this subjective?!) :(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2016, 08:03:02 pm »
Just got paper one back and I did well, but my worst section by far was the comprehension :( The marker said I didn't reference the question enough, but I had tried to interpret it by linking to the rubric statement I thought it was referring to. The 5 marker question I did poorly on as well, as the teacher thought I didn't pick the best two texts (isn't this subjective?!) :(

Good job on the Paper Laura! Don't stress about comprehension, you'll do better next time! ;D

With the "picking the best texts" thing; in comprehension you do need to keep two things in mind when picking texts (this goes for ORT's too actually):

1- How well the two texts fit together conceptually (EG - You wouldn't discuss Finding Nemo and Julius Caesar in the same response, because there is very little joining them together (I challenge someone to give me a Thesis linking those two texts) ;)

2- The depth of the text, referring to the amount and variety of techniques that can be analysed. Analysing an image, for example, usually isn't as effective a choice as analysing a short story or poem, where there is likely to be more to analyse

I can't speak for your teacher, but perhaps these were some things they had in mind when they suggested an issue with text choice? :)

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2016, 08:50:06 pm »
Good job on the Paper Laura! Don't stress about comprehension, you'll do better next time! ;D

With the "picking the best texts" thing; in comprehension you do need to keep two things in mind when picking texts (this goes for ORT's too actually):

1- How well the two texts fit together conceptually (EG - You wouldn't discuss Finding Nemo and Julius Caesar in the same response, because there is very little joining them together (I challenge someone to give me a Thesis linking those two texts) ;)

2- The depth of the text, referring to the amount and variety of techniques that can be analysed. Analysing an image, for example, usually isn't as effective a choice as analysing a short story or poem, where there is likely to be more to analyse

I can't speak for your teacher, but perhaps these were some things they had in mind when they suggested an issue with text choice? :)

My thoughts precisely, but they said the first text (an image) fitted better with "new worlds"... which in hindsight is clearer, but in that short space of time it's so hard to think logically :/
Anyway, lots more practise of discovery comprehension to be done! Wish there was more practise papers is the only problem.

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2016, 08:50:39 pm »
(EG - You wouldn't discuss Finding Nemo and Julius Caesar in the same response, because there is very little joining them together (I challenge someone to give me a Thesis linking those two texts) ;)

BOOM
The intricate nature of relationships and trust is explored in William Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar and Andrew Stanton’s Finding Nemo in which both composers demonstrate the far-reaching consequences of betrayal and forgiveness.

Spoiler
yes I had to look up the director of Finding Nemo and yes I definitely have an essay plan to accompany this and yes this was a complete waste of my time
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

ssarahj

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2016, 08:58:23 pm »
My thoughts precisely, but they said the first text (an image) fitted better with "new worlds"... which in hindsight is clearer, but in that short space of time it's so hard to think logically :/
Anyway, lots more practise of discovery comprehension to be done! Wish there was more practise papers is the only problem.

Make sure when you're doing the actual HSC that you pick the two texts that you actually UNDERSTAND the most. There's no point picking the weird poem (if you have absolutely no idea what its harping on about) in an attempt to sound smart and sophisticated. Under exam pressure its always better to go with the texts you're most confident with because they're the ones you'll be able to analyse properly and hopefully make more insightful statements about discovery in relation to the question.

There's a few extra Discovery papers on this website: https://thsconline.github.io/s/yr12/
But if you run out: try and pester your teacher for more papers/practises before you leave school so you're stocked up for the study period. I've heard you can use the old Belonging papers and just change the words to Discovery but I'm sceptical about this so I haven't tried it yet.
6th in NSW for SOR 2

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2016, 09:01:49 pm »
I've heard you can use the old Belonging papers and just change the words to Discovery but I'm sceptical about this so I haven't tried it yet.
We've been doing that at school and its been working pretty well actually, tbh a lot of the texts seem to work better for discovery than I think they would have for belonging or journey :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

ssarahj

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2016, 09:03:48 pm »
We've been doing that at school and its been working pretty well actually, tbh a lot of the texts seem to work better for discovery than I think they would have for belonging or journey :)

That's awesome, I'll definitely have to give it a go now! 
6th in NSW for SOR 2

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2016, 09:07:21 pm »
It's because you can argue how discovery is present through an individual's sense of belonging.

I had a personal hate towards it. It actually works for a lot of people.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2016, 10:47:18 pm »
It's because you can argue how discovery is present through an individual's sense of belonging.

I had a personal hate towards it. It actually works for a lot of people.

That argument sounds gross ;) but yes doing old AoS papers generally works really well to assist with regular study!!

BOOM
The intricate nature of relationships and trust is explored in William Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar and Andrew Stanton’s Finding Nemo in which both composers demonstrate the far-reaching consequences of betrayal and forgiveness.

Spoiler
yes I had to look up the director of Finding Nemo and yes I definitely have an essay plan to accompany this and yes this was a complete waste of my time

You are an absolute legend! ;)

Spoiler
A "make a Thesis for these two completely unrelated text" thread is a must for the near future I believe ;)

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2016, 12:14:12 am »
There's a few extra Discovery papers on this website: https://thsconline.github.io/s/yr12/
But if you run out: try and pester your teacher for more papers/practises before you leave school so you're stocked up for the study period. I've heard you can use the old Belonging papers and just change the words to Discovery but I'm sceptical about this so I haven't tried it yet.

Oh thanks! I also found this site has a few http://discoveryhshs.weebly.com/practice-exams.html

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2016, 08:50:57 am »
That argument sounds gross ;) but yes doing old AoS papers generally works really well to assist with regular study!!

You are an absolute legend! ;)

Spoiler
A "make a Thesis for these two completely unrelated text" thread is a must for the near future I believe ;)
I actually couldn't stand interrelating belonging and discovery so I never did that haha

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2016, 07:25:01 am »

Challenge Accepted!! :D

While Julius Caesar and Finding Nemo both made an impressive impact on the human body, they are both products of different times and are now both dead. ;D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 07:26:44 am by studybuddy7777 »

kevinboy328

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: North Sydney
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2016, 11:16:32 pm »
Was quite straightfoward and easy i guess

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator