Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 04, 2024, 01:59:40 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Help Needed  (Read 7006 times)

simonpham

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Cabramatta High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
English Advanced Help Needed
« on: September 06, 2016, 09:07:41 pm »
Hey cuties, could you guys give me tips on how to not repeat/retell the story when doing an english exam? It's honestly so hard to not repeat the story but I keep on losing marks for it.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: English Advanced Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 05:13:30 pm »
Hey cuties, could you guys give me tips on how to not repeat/retell the story when doing an english exam? It's honestly so hard to not repeat the story but I keep on losing marks for it.

It depends on which specific essay you're approaching. I'll try to summarise my suggestions that apply to all modules:

-Have a really clear idea of which evidence you will use when you're in the exam - which quotes?
-Ensure that these quotes are chosen in an effective way. By this I mean, use quotes that have a lot to unpack, perhaps a few different techniques inside, or perhaps a few different meanings that propel your argument of the text.
-Realise that the marker has read/viewed your prescribed text. They know all about it, and they've taught it too. You don't need to let them know, let them join the dots in your analysis.
-As for your related text (in Mod C for Advanced and AOS), recognise that your purpose is either to explain the nature of discovery in the text, or to use the text as evidence of the way a composer has represented people and landscapes/politics. The purpose is not to give the marker enough to know about your plot, your evidence will do all it needs.
-Know the difference between context and retell. For Module A, context is imperative to your analysis. So the context is important, and often the context is woven into the plot. You can discuss the plot. (see next point).
-Know the difference between plot and retell. You can analyse the plot as a technique, the placement of the climax, the resolution, etc, is all plot related. At this point, it is easy to get sidetracked and be inclined to discuss the how each section of the plot in question connects. When in reality, your text is used to explain your argument about discovery or people and politics/landscapes.

A lot of people seem to fall into retell if they run out of textual-analysis to discuss. So over-prepare the analysis so you don't have to resort to retell :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 09:41:40 pm »

Welcome to the forums Simon! Let us know if you need help finding anything! ;D

Stefan K

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 10:17:04 pm »
Just a quick question.
Do we get marked down if we misquote a quote? I've always been told that the markers do not necessarily care as long as you explain its affect.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 11:16:55 pm »
+2
Just a quick question.
Do we get marked down if we misquote a quote? I've always been told that the markers do not necessarily care as long as you explain its affect.

Obviously try to be as accurate as possible. But, if you're in an exam and you forget the wording of a quote, give it a crack anyway and make sure your analysis is on point! Consistently being inaccurate is likely to culminate in loss of marks, but a miswording in one instance isn't going to hurt you :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

simonpham

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 11:32:14 am »
Could somebody please check out my essay and tell me what I should be writing next and to give me some feedback? Thank you so much.

Lottie99

• Trailblazer
  • More stressed than I seem
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 12:23:12 pm »
+3
Could somebody please check out my essay and tell me what I should be writing next and to give me some feedback? Thank you so much.

Hey fam,
First up I'd start with the structure of your essay, you've got good ideas but you have to plan it out in a way that clarifies them. Have a topic sentence for each paragraph that really answers the question. Give an insight about it thats clear. Why does fulfilment matter? What is it about needing fulfilment that is so inherently human?
And then plan out your paragraphs that go deeply into that with clear textual analysis that backs up your point.

simonpham

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 01:04:50 pm »
+1
Thank you :) :)

rachelle1

• Fresh Poster
  • School: marist sisters
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 05:05:30 pm »
Hey can anyone help me with this point i have made for a pride and prejudice social class paragraph. I have written this :   

Austen’s use of exploring the class of the gentry, allows her to contrast the situation between individuals of the same class but different levels. This is shown through the contrast of the different financial positions of Elizabeth and Darcy. Although they differ in financial security their equality in class is shown through Elizabeths comment that “He is a gentleman; I am a gentleman's daughter; so far we are equal.” It is evident through this, that by birth and character they are both social equals.     

But im not sure whether this is actually correct or not. Any help would be appreciated.

edmododragon

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 05:21:13 pm »

Also, discussing some of the techniques used in the texts and their effect can be helpful in making your argument sound more sophisticated and it'll help fill in spaces where you would otherwise be retelling the plot

ml125

• Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 05:23:08 pm »
Hey can anyone help me with this point i have made for a pride and prejudice social class paragraph. I have written this :   

Austen’s use of exploring the class of the gentry, allows her to contrast the situation between individuals of the same class but different levels. This is shown through the contrast of the different financial positions of Elizabeth and Darcy. Although they differ in financial security their equality in class is shown through Elizabeths comment that “He is a gentleman; I am a gentleman's daughter; so far we are equal.” It is evident through this, that by birth and character they are both social equals.     

But im not sure whether this is actually correct or not. Any help would be appreciated.
Your first sentence hints that you would be looking for a distinction between the levels within the hierarchy but you haven't shown this. You are contrasting their financial positions, yet claim that they are 'social equals' - it's not a complete contradiction however this could be reworded to avoid confusion. There is a social inequality within the single class. I think that a better approach to this idea would be to bring out the satire within the comment, then further develop this idea of inequality. This could easily be explored in Lady Catherine's response to this!
HSC 2016: EE2 | MX1 | Chemistry | Physics
GOAL 2017: Combined Advanced Science/Engineering @ UNSW

asd987

• Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 05:24:38 pm »
Does anyone have any good tips/ideas for creative writing?

edmododragon

• Trailblazer
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 05:37:24 pm »
Does anyone have any good tips/ideas for creative writing?
There are quite a few good tips that I saw earlier in some of the pinned posts in the AOS section.

simonpham

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 05:42:26 pm »
Also, discussing some of the techniques used in the texts and their effect can be helpful in making your argument sound more sophisticated and it'll help fill in spaces where you would otherwise be retelling the plot
Do you have any examples you could give me?

edmododragon

• Trailblazer
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 05:47:37 pm »
Do you have any examples you could give me?

I haven't studied your texts so I can't give that much, but from the quote in what you've posted.
"oh the sweet sad years, the melancholy years". "sweet sad" has both sibilance and sensory language in it which helps create emotion in the responder. Also there's repetition of "years" which all brings emphasis to time and whatever is happening at this point in the text. I would suggest putting some more quotes in, looking at what sort of effect the techniques have, and then using them to back up your argument :)