Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 10:33:05 pm

Author Topic: 80 Hours Until Biology: The Final Gameplan  (Read 14271 times)  Share 

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
Re: 80 Hours Until Biology: The Final Gameplan
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 11:01:23 pm »
Epigenetics now suggests otherwise, maybe Lamarck was right in a way ;)

Well fuck. I'm gonna stick to Physics then. Sorry team.
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

skysailingaway

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2016, 11:06:27 pm »

Great article, helped me calm down about biology.
I've scanned over the syllabus and i feel as though I have gaps in my knowledge, like, I know a few points but its never in detail.
I'm worried about the amount of time left till the bio exam.
would you recommend me doing past papers first or recaping content?
thank you so much guys  :D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 11:18:35 pm by skysailingaway »

naomisirmai

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • ~BACK YOURSELF~
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 11:13:38 pm »
+2
Epigenetics now suggests otherwise, maybe Lamarck was right in a way ;)

My friends and I just had a discussion about your comment!! Very interesting, thank you!
Although Lamarck didn't have the exact right idea about it, there is a lot of research being done about how things like stress can be passed down genetically.
ATAR: 99.45
Studying Medicine at UNSW
Biology: 94 | Chemistry: 93 | Ancient History: 95 | History Ext: 47 | English Adv: 93 | English Ext 1: 47 | English Ext 2: 49 | UMAT: 95

naomisirmai

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • ~BACK YOURSELF~
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 11:20:48 pm »
+1
Great article, helped me calm down about biology.
I've scanned over the syllabus and i feel as though I have gaps in my knowledge, like, I know a few points but its never in detail.
I'm worried about the amount of time left till the bio exam.
would you recommend me doing past papers first or recaping content?
thank you so much guys  :D

I reckon spend a day doing as many past papers as you can - they'll help you work out what you don't know.
After that point, knuckle down on study. Maybe a past paper here or there, but really focus on memorising and getting that detail in.
Biology: 94 | Chemistry: 93 | Ancient History: 95 | History Ext: 47 | English Adv: 93 | English Ext 1: 47 | English Ext 2: 49 | UMAT: 95

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2016, 11:31:44 pm »
Hello Naomi, I have a double the day before the biology exam, both requiring quite extensive memorising and energy. I've already memorised everything for biology and did a few past papers, but that was a few days before hsc started and I know that the information I've remembered word for word I've started to forget... what would you suggest i do the day before biology?? should i try and go over and memorise stuff that I've forgot, or do past papers? my exam the day before finishes at 17:00... I'm not sure what to do. thank you so much for your article :)
Awesome tips! Just wondering what the MAB, BOL, and SBH in the table stand for?
Thanks

Welcome to the forums guys!! Hope you'll stick around to get help for the rest of your HSC, best of luck!! :)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 06:26:31 pm »
Quote from: naomisirmai
am I allowed to say shit?
(Yes, im too lazy to do it properly)
OMG did you seriously just ask this? I'm not saying to take a leaf out of jake's book and put it in the title (;) lol) but you can definitely be a bit more relaxed while typing, truly express your feelings :D

But my actual purpose for this comment is to say that this is an awesome guide!! Thanks so much for doing this and do dogs hold the same amount of attention when you talk to them as cats? Lmao
I fortunately do like celery so I'm going to stain myself and identify my companion cells and sieve tubes ;)

Soz if I was too savage, but I get sassy when I'm tired and I just had a 3 hr senior science paper today 💤💤

Just realised I don't remember Lamarck and Eldridge/Gould from MOB in the little table you made! Haha! :D
Who are they...? :P

Thank you! :D

Just thought I'd pipe up again, (better late than never!) and just simply state that nowhere in the syllabus does it say their names. The dot point is does relate to is one that you most like did Charles Darwin for "a scientists theory of evolution blah blah blah"

There are more things like this throughout the syllabus (eg 9.1 Skills- practising male and female scientist, destructive/non destructive testing etc)
Just do yourself a favour and just once, look through the whole syllabus and note the wording.
(Including macfarlane burnett, so easy to forget as he is in the first column)

Good luck everyone!!!!

Mod Edit: merged my double post :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:29:24 pm by studybuddy7777 »

cherryred

• Adventurer
  • School: Cerdon College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2016, 07:08:19 pm »
Hey,

I keep getting confused, but what exactly is the difference between a dominant and a recessive gene? How would I know if a condition is recessive or dominant from a pedigree?

Thank you :)

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
  • "Mistakes are proof that you are trying!"
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2016, 07:21:19 pm »
Hey,

I keep getting confused, but what exactly is the difference between a dominant and a recessive gene? How would I know if a condition is recessive or dominant from a pedigree?

Thank you :)

So basically a dominant trait will be what comes out in the phenotype (i.e. in Mendels pea experient tall was a dominant trait to any genotypes that had a tall allele would result in the plant coming out as tall; dominant is always expressed as a capital letter). Recessive is basically the opposite, it's kind of the trait that one see's unless there are two of them that make up the genotype which relates back to Mendel's ratios of 3:1 in phenotype.

The second part to your question i only really figured out after sitting my trial exam because i got it wrong lol but the easiest way to figure out if a trait is dominant or not is to draw pedigrees. I like the look for a specific branch where two parents have the same phenotype (both have or both dont have the trait) and then observe their children. If say both parents do not have the trait but one or more of their children do then that means that the gene must be dominant. You can check this by asking yourself if the gene is recessive will both parents who are homozygoous recessive produce anything other than homozygous recessive offspring which is no

I am really bad at explaining but I hope this helps!!
--HSC subjects--
Music 1 | Biology | Society and Culture | Spanish Beginners | Math ext 1 & 2 | English Advanced | English ext 1 & 2

xorichard

• Adventurer
  • Hello twod
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 04:21:19 pm »
Hey Naomi, how screwed am i if i have not done many past papers and don't know too well my cntent? What are some groundbreaking, inspiring advice you can give to me at this time? Thank you arigato gozaimasu :)

naomisirmai

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • ~BACK YOURSELF~
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 04:32:38 pm »
Hey Naomi, how screwed am i if i have not done many past papers and don't know too well my cntent? What are some groundbreaking, inspiring advice you can give to me at this time? Thank you arigato gozaimasu :)

At this point there's no point panicking.
Your focus needs to be memorising, and you need to memorise hard. Whatever techniques you use, use them. You won't be able to nail the full 80 pages of notes, but with some luck you will be able to get the essentials done.
If you don't understand, ask questions on the forum.
Good luck!

xorichard

• Adventurer
  • Hello twod
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2016, 04:38:43 pm »
Haha thank you in advanced! But do you reckon i could pull out a, lets say, a band 5 out of my ass if i memorized content?? Danke

Sanaz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2016, 10:46:46 am »
Hey I was wondering if I answered the question properly (plant biology is annoying)

Sanaz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2016, 10:48:48 am »
Well fuck. I'm gonna stick to Physics then. Sorry team.

haha it's fine, it's not even on the syllabus so you're right :P

Sanaz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2016, 10:50:15 am »
Hey I was wondering if I answered the question properly (plant biology is annoying)

lmfao did i write "plants... around the body"? bahahaha  ;D ;D

naomisirmai

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • ~BACK YOURSELF~
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2016, 12:03:51 pm »
+1

Yep that looks perfect! I'd definitely add a mention of glucose as the sugar that's carried, but aside from that, looks like 5/5 to me. You could even add a little drawing if you had time.