Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 02:45:32 pm

Author Topic: 80 Hours Until Biology: The Final Gameplan  (Read 14379 times)  Share 

naomisirmai

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • ~BACK YOURSELF~
  • Respect: +13
80 Hours Until Biology: The Final Gameplan
« on: October 16, 2016, 04:34:00 pm »
+8
Practice papers

Smash out some last few practice papers for that extra confidence boost, and to work out exactly how you’ll manage your time in the exam. With some luck you can crush the MCQs in the first 20-or-so minutes, leaving yourself more time for those tricky 7 and 8-markers.

Make sure you complete all questions every time. You’ll have to do so in about 80 hours, so there’s no use taking the easy route now. The more questions you answer, the more confident and capable you’ll be on the day. A sure-fire mark-booster.

Some final tips for those higher-mark questions:

-   Dot-point out your structure and examples beforehand… Try to work out what the markers are looking for, and use that to decide how you will answer the question in the most effective way.
-   Underline/flag key ideas… If the question is asking you to talk about three different scientists, structure your answer by scientist, and start a new line for each. Make your answer legible and clear.
-   Give enough examples… For an 8-mark question, give three examples that are properly explained, with all key terms defined.
-   Answer explicitly, using the words of the question… make it EASY for the marker to give you marks. They’re overworked teachers who are often just looking for things to tick. Make sure that they know that you’ve answered the question correctly and thoroughly.

Memorising

Now’s the time to cement a shit-tonne of information into your tiny head (am I allowed to say shit? whatever.). This seems like a massive task, but if you break it down into manageable bits, it will be much much easier.

To help you structure your study, here are some things you should have memorised:

-   Definitions (of everything. Begin every higher-mark question by defining key terms)
-   Processes (ultrafiltration/reabsorption/secretion in the kidney, xylem/phloem in plants, the immune response)
-   Lists (the steps of evolution by natural selection, Koch’s postulates)
-   Experiments (Mendel, Morgan, Beadle and Tatum, Pasteur etc.)

Consider the fact that you’ve utilised much of this information before – half-yearlies and trials, plus in all those practice papers. For some dot-points, your memory might just need a quick booster before it all comes flooding back. For others, it might all seem brand new. Try not to freak out, just give yourself the time that you need…

I read things out loud to myself, tried to explain concepts to my cat (pictured below), and recorded myself reading content and listened to it. You could try Jake’s technique of writing out everything you don’t know in a sweary ‘summary sheet’, but make sure not to intimidate yourself – just include the absolute essentials.

my cat Rory (yes really)

Spend some extra time on your option

Unless your school is super edgy and does the content in a different order, your option will likely be your weakest area. You probably learnt it at the same time as studying for trials - trying to fit all your other subjects into your head - and either wrote your own notes without really thinking about them, or tried to memorise someone else’s notes without actually ‘getting it’ (guilty...). Compensate for this by giving yourself another opportunity to truly understand the key ideas in yours. What are the key ideas threaded throughout the syllabus? How do they link to each-other, and how do they link to the core Bio syllabus? Now’s the time for sketching out mind-maps and talking to yourself.

Summarise summarise summarise

There’s no use memorising essay-style answers to dot-points. That’s just not going to be useful come exam time. Try to synthesise key content into dot-points, diagrams, and even just key words. There are certain things that you’ll DEFINITELY have to know like the back of your hand. These things are scientists and people. I made myself some palm cards with literally JUST the key content on them.

To help you out a little on your quest for godlike biology knowledge:

Eat some celery

If my memory of being a 6-year-old doesn’t fail me, you are what you eat and it also takes one to know one. Thus, in order to truly understand the nature of xylem and phloem, water and glucose transport, respiration, and cell-structure, you must imbibe of the plant itself. This is the most important step.

Take care xx
Naomi
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 10:56:39 pm by naomisirmai »
ATAR: 99.45
Studying Medicine at UNSW
Biology: 94 | Chemistry: 93 | Ancient History: 95 | History Ext: 47 | English Adv: 93 | English Ext 1: 47 | English Ext 2: 49 | UMAT: 95

Natashajt

• Fresh Poster
  • Subjects:
  • Respect: 0
Re: 80 Hours Until Biology: The Final Gameplan
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 05:46:39 pm »
This was really helpful! Thanks Naomi :) also, would you recommend condensing all your notes to a minimum amount of pages possible, as a primary study method?

And would you have any suggestions for the night before the exam? e.g. lightly look over notes or do the 2015 paper?

TheBatman

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 06:04:26 pm »
+1
IF I BECOME THE PLANT, I'LL KNOW THE PLANT!!!!

Thanks for this article, really helps me plan everything!

naomisirmai

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • ~BACK YOURSELF~
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 06:14:36 pm »
+1
This was really helpful! Thanks Naomi :) also, would you recommend condensing all your notes to a minimum amount of pages possible, as a primary study method?

And would you have any suggestions for the night before the exam? e.g. lightly look over notes or do the 2015 paper?

I'm so glad you found it helpful!
I definitely recommend condensing your notes. Have the main ideas on the page and the detail in your head, ready to be unleashed come exam time!

As for the night before, I would highly recommend chilling as much as possible. You want to clear your mind so that you don't go into the exam with any presumptions about what might be asked, because that can lead to confusion and anxiety when there's an unexpected question. I would have a scan through my notes before bed, then try to have a good night's sleep. No practice papers!
I plan to make another post about this though, so stay tuned... :D

xx
Biology: 94 | Chemistry: 93 | Ancient History: 95 | History Ext: 47 | English Adv: 93 | English Ext 1: 47 | English Ext 2: 49 | UMAT: 95

naomisirmai

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • ~BACK YOURSELF~
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 06:15:02 pm »
+2
IF I BECOME THE PLANT, I'LL KNOW THE PLANT!!!!

Thanks for this article, really helps me plan everything!

EXACTLY. Photosynthesise as much as possible please.

melanie87

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 07:40:37 pm »
Hello Naomi, I have a double the day before the biology exam, both requiring quite extensive memorising and energy. I've already memorised everything for biology and did a few past papers, but that was a few days before hsc started and I know that the information I've remembered word for word I've started to forget... what would you suggest i do the day before biology?? should i try and go over and memorise stuff that I've forgot, or do past papers? my exam the day before finishes at 17:00... I'm not sure what to do. thank you so much for your article :)

rosa.lysiak

• Fresh Poster
  • School: High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 09:39:43 pm »
Awesome tips! Just wondering what the MAB, BOL, and SBH in the table stand for?
Thanks

naomisirmai

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • ~BACK YOURSELF~
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 09:42:05 pm »
+1
Hello Naomi, I have a double the day before the biology exam, both requiring quite extensive memorising and energy. I've already memorised everything for biology and did a few past papers, but that was a few days before hsc started and I know that the information I've remembered word for word I've started to forget... what would you suggest i do the day before biology?? should i try and go over and memorise stuff that I've forgot, or do past papers? my exam the day before finishes at 17:00... I'm not sure what to do. thank you so much for your article :)

Argh that's unfortunate. I reckon you have already set yourself up really well by doing some serious memorising before exams started, so well done for that!
The evening before, I'd say DO NOT do any practice papers. I think, because Bio is so content-heavy, re-memorising high-yield would be the most useful thing for you.
Good luck!

naomisirmai

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • ~BACK YOURSELF~
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 09:42:48 pm »
+1
Awesome tips! Just wondering what the MAB, BOL, and SBH in the table stand for?
Thanks

Hey! You're gonna kick yourself...
Maintaining a Balance
Blueprint of Life
Search for Better Health
XD

caninesandy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 10:27:53 pm »
Thank you, Naomi!! :D
I was just starting to freak out over how much content there was in biology and how little I knew but this has calmed me greatly.

And, ew, celery. hahaha!!

What other things would you put in a little table you made?

Thank you again :)

"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you."

caninesandy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 10:34:36 pm »
Just realised I don't remember Lamarck and Eldridge/Gould from MOB in the little table you made! Haha! :D
Who are they...? :P

Thank you! :D
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you."

naomisirmai

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • ~BACK YOURSELF~
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 10:47:09 pm »
+1
Just realised I don't remember Lamarck and Eldridge/Gould from MOB in the little table you made! Haha! :D
Who are they...? :P

Thank you! :D

Hey so in the table I'd just have a one-line summary of what they did, or even just one keyword to jog my memory!

Lamarck proposed the theory of 'Inheritance of Acquired Characteristics'... Basically he believed that if a parent acquired a characteristic over the course of their life, then they'd pass it on to their children genetically (not true! it has to be a mutation in the gametes to be passed on!). The example he used for this was that he saw giraffes stretching their neck to reach leaves high up on trees. He thought that if parents stretched their necks, the baby giraffes would inherit longer necks.

Eldridge and Gould proposed the theory of 'Punctuated Equilibrium' - that evolution is not just a linear process (always occurring at the same rate), but that there are periods of fast evolution followed by not much change at all, prompted by environmental change. Makes a lot of sense if you think about it! Especially given that evolution by natural selection is driven by environmental change.

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 10:48:13 pm »
+1
Hey so in the table I'd just have a one-line summary of what they did, or even just one keyword to jog my memory!

Lamarck proposed the theory of 'Inheritance of Acquired Characteristics'... Basically he believed that if a parent acquired a characteristic over the course of their life, then they'd pass it on to their children genetically (not true! it has to be a mutation in the gametes to be passed on!). The example he used for this was that he saw giraffes stretching their neck to reach leaves high up on trees. He thought that if parents stretched their necks, the baby giraffes would inherit longer necks.

Eldridge and Gould proposed the theory of 'Punctuated Equilibrium' - that evolution is not just a linear process (always occurring at the same rate), but that there are periods of fast evolution followed by not much change at all, prompted by environmental change. Makes a lot of sense if you think about it! Especially given that evolution by natural selection is driven by environmental change.

Lemarck was wrong. Boom. Biology
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 11:22:37 pm by jakesilove »
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 10:53:05 pm »
Lemark was wrong. Boom. Biology
You really need to have a snickers

Sanaz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 10:59:47 pm »
+1
Epigenetics now suggests otherwise, maybe Lamarck was right in a way ;)