Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 11, 2024, 03:48:47 am

Author Topic: Modern History Exam Discussion Thread!  (Read 14933 times)

pughg16

• Forum Regular
Re: Modern History Exam Discussion Thread!
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2016, 08:56:12 pm »
  definitely feel that other students were much better off with most of the other Options' questions.

I must agree here....we were very lucky to have such easily worded & clear questions! I was really pleased with Weimar question a), as this provided an opportunity to use the only historiography that I knew for Germany, as all my historiography concerned the fall of Weimar.  :D Very happy about that one!
Conflict in the pacific question a) was also really good, as I have said, very similar to our trials, and also quite broad in relation to the first section of the syllabus considering it was taken largely from a key feature. I think what made this question so adaptable is that it allowed for me to introduce U.S. nationalism as another factor which held quite a large degree of responsibility for the growth of tensions in the pacific. So thumbs up to BOSTES for those options! ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 08:58:54 pm by pughg16 »

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2016, 10:05:08 pm »
Can't believe you predicted the questions! Sounds like you killed the exam, congratulations! I know how much work you/all the users on here put in, so hopefully you can take the night off and relax. You all deserve it!
I can't believe I predicted all of them either! And not even like just a question for each. Literally every single essay option hahaha I feel like Bostes should give me a band 6 just for that. When I stepped outside the exam room my teacher was screaming at me about how he's never got even one right in 10 years, and I get them all on the first go haha. And thank you! Definitely taking the night off haha, and then off to studying my next history exam on Monday! Thanks for all of your help and support jake and elyse :D
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

melanie87

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2016, 06:22:50 pm »
How much will not having a proper concluding paragraph in a modern essay hurt you even if it's not abruptly ended?

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2016, 06:25:38 pm »
How much will not having a proper concluding paragraph in a modern essay hurt you even if it's not abruptly ended?

Very little! Markers understand that running out of time is a real problem for students, and there won't be marks specifically taken off because of a lack of conclusion. It's obviously not an ideal situation, but nothing to worry about!
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

melanie87

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2016, 06:28:59 pm »
Very little! Markers understand that running out of time is a real problem for students, and there won't be marks specifically taken off because of a lack of conclusion. It's obviously not an ideal situation, but nothing to worry about!

thank you!  :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2016, 03:17:28 pm »
I can't believe I predicted all of them either! And not even like just a question for each. Literally every single essay option hahaha I feel like Bostes should give me a band 6 just for that. When I stepped outside the exam room my teacher was screaming at me about how he's never got even one right in 10 years, and I get them all on the first go haha. And thank you! Definitely taking the night off haha, and then off to studying my next history exam on Monday! Thanks for all of your help and support jake and elyse :D

That's great news Sudodds! I sense some very good marks coming your way...
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2016, 05:56:36 pm »
That's great news Sudodds! I sense some very good marks coming your way...
thank you and hopefully! Just frustrated that there wasn't a Bolshevik consolidation of power question for Russia because that is easily my best section of the syllabus. First time since before 2010 that it hasn't been included! Luckily the Stalinism question was really broad though because I would have struggled to recall enough detail for anything more specific. Still wondering how the personality section will go, some people seem to have really liked it but overall I'm finding that most people seemed to be really thrown (including me! This was not the way we were taught about Trotsky at all haha). It did seem to be a lot more of an extension question than modern, and I found did not easily allow you to make a clear judgement upon the significance of your personality. It's difficult to assess to what extent is a statement accurate when the statement is sitting on the fence. haha, interested to see how that is going to impact upon the moderation!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

herb123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2017, 08:04:52 pm »
I was pretty happy with the exam - the only part of it that was seriously surprising was that the 3 marker was on one impact, and only had 5 lines...although that probably means it's easier to do well in. My mates and I managed to predict the two topics for 7-marker and 10-marker before the test, so the last minute revision we did was top quality :). Overall WWI wasn't overly difficult or surprising.

I did Germany, and predicted that there would be a foreign policy question so was decently happy (although I'm rather sad they haven't given us anything out of the third syllabus dot point :(). Wasn't sure about the Weimar question but heard that it was doable from others. Section III had a simple part (a) and something a little different for part (b) but something that was entirely workable :). Section IV (Conflict in the Pacific) was also a breeze, was spoiled for choice as I'd prepared both essays!!

Overall for my topics was a fairly decent exam!

ahah @birdwing how did you predict topics that accurately!? I was from nsb too (grade below) were they the ones kapetas predicted?