Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 29, 2024, 04:53:31 pm

Author Topic: AOS essay paragraphs  (Read 1439 times)

Nialllovespie

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
AOS essay paragraphs
« on: December 04, 2016, 07:59:43 pm »
Is it acceptable to have 2 paragraphs on our prescribed text and 1 on our related text providing that the ratio of words is between 50:50 and 60:40?

Thanks in advance!! :D

tim.wells

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
Re: AOS essay paragraphs
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 09:05:46 pm »
I didn't study HSC, so take my advice with a grain of salt. But I think that approach sounds fine. Especially a ratio of 60:40 where you are keeping your prescribed text at the front of your focus. I think you should also endeavour to make repeated links between the texts throughout your paragraphs. I.e. in Paragraph 1 about your prescribed text, refer to how the specific theme is evident in your related text. This would be especially relevant in the bottom third of each paragraph where you are tying your ideas back to your contention. Again, I didn't study VCE in this manner but that's my outside opinion :)
Tim Wells

Law undergrad at Monash University

ATAR- 99.20
English Tutor - English (48), Literature (47), Australian History (47), Economics (45), Legal Studies (38), Maths Methods (31)

Get more answers for your questions as well as weekly tips and blog posts, from my friends and I at:

HSC - http://bit.ly/HSChelp
VCE - http://bit.ly/VCEhelp

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
Re: AOS essay paragraphs
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:33:17 pm »
+4
Is it acceptable to have 2 paragraphs on our prescribed text and 1 on our related text providing that the ratio of words is between 50:50 and 60:40?

Thanks in advance!! :D

Just to add to what Tim has said here, that structure is perfectly acceptable for the HSC, but make sure you're leaning towards the 60:40 ratio 😃 However it can be difficult to link your prescribed and related text together throughout your essay when you take this approach. I personally recommend trying an integrated or semi-integrated response at some point this year - for example, you could have one paragraph on your prescribed text and then the other two you could have half-prescribed and half-related text. Often this can help to link your texts together and write a more sophisticated response.

Feel free to post whatever structure you've been working with for marking on the essay forums, we'd be happy to give you some feedback and see if there's any easy changes to structure that can be made  :) :)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle