Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 10:33:18 am

Author Topic: How many quotes?  (Read 1121 times)  Share 

appianway

How many quotes?
« on: September 21, 2009, 11:26:17 am »
How many quotes do you need per essay in order to achieve a perfect score (or in that general vicinity) on the essay component of the exam?

lynt.br

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +50
Re: How many quotes?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 01:55:59 pm »
Derrick Ha used a grand total of zero quotes in his essay compilation book as far as I can remember and he achieved a perfect 50. What you do need however are examples from the real world that demonstrate what you are trying to say in your essay, so don't think that just because you don't need quotes you don't need to do any external research to score well.

While quotes from profound linguists such as Kate Burridge, David Crystal and Don Watson can help augment your essays by demonstrating wider reading, they are in no way necessary if you can provide sufficient evidence to support your claims. I would also guess that a well-known and demonstrative example is much more conducive to a good mark than an obscure quote that the examiner knows the student could have just made up.

Also keep in mind that I believe the exam this year requires a direct reference to the stimulus material, so quoting elements of the stimulus as you address them may be helpful.

florallover

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 08:36:51 pm »
got sent here by someone to reply to your message. i didnt use any quotes either and i also got 50. you just need lots of examples - preferably contemporary ones from the past year or so. not hard.

appianway

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 11:15:37 am »

*Is happy about not having to memorise pages of quotes*