Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 06, 2024, 10:19:47 pm

Author Topic: Help with Julius Caesar  (Read 2400 times)  Share 

haony98

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Help with Julius Caesar
« on: May 16, 2017, 05:14:12 pm »
Hi
Can someone explain the question and the quote and what do we need to talk about in regard to Caesar's legacy?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Help with Julius Caesar
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 05:30:50 pm »
Hi
Can someone explain the question and the quote and what do we need to talk about in regard to Caesar's legacy?

(Image removed from quote.)

Hey haony98!

Unfortunately I didn't study Julius Caesar last year, so I can't help to much with the specifics (hopefully someone else who did will find this thread and be able to help more!), however I can defs help you unpack the question, so you know what you should be focusing on.

So the question is asking you to assess legacy, thus, you need to be considering the impact that Julius' Caesar had on his time AND on today. Consider the various interpretations of Julius' Caesar across time - what do the ancient historians/writers say? What do the modern historians say? What do the archeological artefacts say? Do they suggest that the impact of Caesar was large or small? Positive or negative?

As the question is asking you specifically to incorporate the quote, you need to make a judgement as to whether it is useful or not. Is it highly useful? Partially useful? Or of limited use? (btw never say useless - they will never give you a useless quote). The quote appears to be in regards to the "excessive" power and honours which Julius Caesar was awarded throughout his life. Power and influence (which according to the quote it is evident he had a lot of) can have a significant impact upon the legacy of an individual, as they are afforded greater ability to impact upon their time through politics and the cultivation of a cult of personality. Thus the quote (I believe) is setting you up to make a judgement such as this;

The legacy of Julius Caesar is inextricably linked with his cultivation of excessive power in Rome, thus the statement is highly useful.

So, look at the ways that Julius Caesar cultivated and used his power, how the honours identified throughout the quote were used and manipulated by Caesar in order to ascertain his almost totalitarian control. In particular, make sure to focus on the key events/issues identified in the syllabus (specifically the 2nd and 3rd sections, pasted below):

2 Background and rise to prominence
– his family background and position
– his education, early life and ambitions
– paths to power: priesthoods; Marian connections; political alliances and marriages
– early political career to 60 BC

3 Career
– role in First Triumvirate
– Gallic Wars: campaigns and tactics, siege of Alesia
– relationship with his army
– relationship with the Senate
– role in the Civil War
– political supporters and enemies
– personal relationships: Julia, Cleopatra VII, Brutus, Mark Antony, Cicero
– impact of personality on career; significance of his writings
– dictatorship: policies and reforms
– assassination: motives, manner and impact of his death

Does that make sense? Let me know if there is anything else that you are struggling with/confused by.

Hope this helps!

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!