Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 02:21:26 pm

Author Topic: Module C Representing People & Politics - related texts  (Read 32293 times)

amullins

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Module C Representing People & Politics - related texts
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 09:45:54 pm »
Hi Elyse, I saw you today in the SOR lecture, you were great! I was wondering if I could get a second opinion on using House Of Cards as a related text for W.H. Auden. Do you think I have enough similarities in themes/ideas to be able to pull this off? I have been considering using Malala Yousafzai's speech at the UN as well. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!  :)

georgiia

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 02:41:21 pm »
Do you think Fahrenheit 9/11 (Michael Moore) or HYpernormalisation (Adam curtis) are good as a P&P related for Wag the Dog?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 05:24:31 pm »
Hi Elyse, I saw you today in the SOR lecture, you were great! I was wondering if I could get a second opinion on using House Of Cards as a related text for W.H. Auden. Do you think I have enough similarities in themes/ideas to be able to pull this off? I have been considering using Malala Yousafzai's speech at the UN as well. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!  :)

Thanks for coming out to the lecture, you legend! I haven't watched House of Cards, I'm embarrassed to say! I just asked my friend, he tells me there are themes of political realism, self interest, the price of ambition and power. Is this the way you are perceiving the text as well? If so, I think this could definitely work. Malala's speech though, I know has been used before and has worked really well for students. So in my opinion, I think it comes down to whichever you think would be best for you? What interests you the most? And also, what kind of points do you want to talk about in your prescribed text - which related text allows you to pull on these points? :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

_____

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 06:25:25 pm »
+1
I decided to go with House of Cards. Themes it shares with The Crucible include deception, self-interest, corruption of innocence, power and reputation. Plus it's full of film techniques.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 07:17:22 pm »
I decided to go with House of Cards. Themes it shares with The Crucible include deception, self-interest, corruption of innocence, power and reputation. Plus it's full of film techniques.

What a plan! Good luck!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

_____

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 10:17:44 pm »
What a plan! Good luck!

Thanks! I know I'll need it  :D

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 05:19:33 pm »
Hi i'm doing brave new world for module C and i was wondering what a good related text would be specifically with regard to that text? I was thinking of maybe doing the handmaid's tale new series, but i'm not too good at analysing film!
thanks heaps

BradMate

• Trailblazer
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 07:03:45 pm »
Hi All,

I'm doing Why Weren't We Told (WWWT -- about Aboriginal justice, rights, reconciliation etc.) for People and Politics, and I've just come across this scary looking paragraph:
"Consider the ways texts represent… political perspectives, ideas, etc. = We can assume this is in reference to the fact that you’ll be looking at several texts, one prescribed and a few related, and you need to be able to examine the different ways each one explores the idea of people and politics. While you’ll want your texts to look at the same people/politics, this means you want them to look at these things in different ways so you have multiple representations to consider."

My teacher has recommend we use a speech as a related, which I've analysed, and now integrated into my final essay (1100 words, 4 paras - two related two prescribed). My concern is that this speech is based in the 19th century in the U.S. and is about the women's suffrage movement, i.e. nothing to do with the Aboriginal movement for justice and reconciliation. Do I need to start again with a text that ties in with Aboriginal movement more directly? OR, if I were to do a second related should it be at least somewhat relevant to 19th century equal rights in the U.S. or closer towards the themes in WWWT?

LASTLY, I have to write a Mod C essay worth 15% after trials  :'( :'( :'( as well as in Paper 2 for trials, so I'm happy to put the work in and cut out a paragraph or two, and change related if it'd allow me to reach B6 range.

Thanks so much.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 07:06:49 pm by BradMate »

seventeenboi

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 07:20:41 pm »
+1
Hi All,

I'm doing Why Weren't We Told (WWWT -- about Aboriginal justice, rights, reconciliation etc.) for People and Politics, and I've just come across this scary looking paragraph:
"Consider the ways texts represent… political perspectives, ideas, etc. = We can assume this is in reference to the fact that you’ll be looking at several texts, one prescribed and a few related, and you need to be able to examine the different ways each one explores the idea of people and politics. While you’ll want your texts to look at the same people/politics, this means you want them to look at these things in different ways so you have multiple representations to consider."

My teacher has recommend we use a speech as a related, which I've analysed, and now integrated into my final essay (1100 words, 4 paras - two related two prescribed). My concern is that this speech is based in the 19th century in the U.S. and is about the women's suffrage movement, i.e. nothing to do with the Aboriginal movement for justice and reconciliation. Do I need to start again with a text that ties in with Aboriginal movement more directly? OR, if I were to do a second related should it be at least somewhat relevant to 19th century equal rights in the U.S. or closer towards the themes in WWWT?

LASTLY, I have to write a Mod C essay worth 15% after trials  :'( :'( :'( as well as in Paper 2 for trials, so I'm happy to put the work in and cut out a paragraph or two, and change related if it'd allow me to reach B6 range.

Thanks so much.

hi :)
I'm also doing WWWT for Mod C and I just recently did my assessment last term and you'll be happy to hear that your related text does not in any way have to have anything to do with Aboriginal rights and justice at all :) this module, I think, is much more concerned with the representation and the way composers present their ideas through use of rhetoric devices to manipulate/convince their audience to align with their own political views and perceptions, rather than the content based stuff such as equality/ promotion of rights for minority groups, although certainly, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use a related text that does talk about stuff like that
For my related, I did a documentary about climate change and scored within the A range..
the points to my essay were that: composers challenge the moral integrity of their audience through their representations to confront them with unconsidered truths, leading to a realignment of their political views, and: through the portrayal of the personal shift in moral and political values, composers posit the capacity for change

Here's a website my teacher provided us with for potential related texts if in any case you need any:
http://www.filmsforaction.org/walloffilms/
:)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 12:01:07 am »
Hi i'm doing brave new world for module C and i was wondering what a good related text would be specifically with regard to that text? I was thinking of maybe doing the handmaid's tale new series, but i'm not too good at analysing film!
thanks heaps

Have you considered V for Vendetta? It is another film, but it works well with BNW!! Lots of resources around for it, including this essay I wrote comparing V for Vendetta with BNW in terms of dystopic elements ;D

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 03:43:35 pm »
Hey im doing BNW and Malala's speech. I was wondering if you had any advice on tackling the question: political motivations may be ambiguous but control is the ultimate goal for these two texts? would i argue for bnw that motivations arent ambiguous as they are clearly for stability, community etc. and therefore are able to achieve control because of this. and for malala do i argue this from her perspective and argue what she is trying to achieve is freedom not control or from the talibans perspective in that their motivations are also not ambiguous and control is quite cleary their goal.
thanks you :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2017, 04:15:47 pm »
Hey im doing BNW and Malala's speech. I was wondering if you had any advice on tackling the question: political motivations may be ambiguous but control is the ultimate goal for these two texts? would i argue for bnw that motivations arent ambiguous as they are clearly for stability, community etc. and therefore are able to achieve control because of this. and for malala do i argue this from her perspective and argue what she is trying to achieve is freedom not control or from the talibans perspective in that their motivations are also not ambiguous and control is quite cleary their goal.
thanks you :)

Hey! I only studied BNW out of those two, I like your interpretation! Your essay would focus on control, and its effect on the populace and the commentary Huxley is making on the idea of control and manipulation.

You could argue it another way though, and say that the motivations of the political bodies in BNW are morally ambiguous, and focus on the ethics of control instead? Much the same, slightly different, but it might work better for you? :)

amber.brierley

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2017, 04:30:24 pm »
Hi, I am studying W.H Auden for representing people and politics, wondering if there are any suggestions for related material that will work well that isn't poetic!!??

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2017, 04:41:14 pm »
Hey! I only studied BNW out of those two, I like your interpretation! Your essay would focus on control, and its effect on the populace and the commentary Huxley is making on the idea of control and manipulation.

You could argue it another way though, and say that the motivations of the political bodies in BNW are morally ambiguous, and focus on the ethics of control instead? Much the same, slightly different, but it might work better for you? :)

Hey thanks for your help! By morally ambiguous im just a bit confused haha are you referring to how to one person the aspects of control implemented by the bnw eg. bokanovskys process are for the good of humanity while on the other hand john the savage thinks the opposite? also could you bring anything in about how the director actually reads shakespeare etc. in terms of ambiguity? thanks :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2017, 04:53:03 pm »
Hey thanks for your help! By morally ambiguous im just a bit confused haha are you referring to how to one person the aspects of control implemented by the bnw eg. bokanovskys process are for the good of humanity while on the other hand john the savage thinks the opposite? also could you bring anything in about how the director actually reads shakespeare etc. in terms of ambiguity? thanks :)

Yeah that is exactly what I mean! There is never a clear right and a clear wrong in that novel, there are always shades of grey. And yep, you could definitely reference that in terms of context ;D