Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 04, 2024, 05:50:18 am

Author Topic: Module C Representing People & Politics - related texts  (Read 32304 times)

_____

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
Module C Representing People & Politics - related texts
« on: May 23, 2017, 06:54:44 pm »
What are some good choices for a related text for this module elective? Some ideas:

• House of Cards
  • Animal Farm

Would using 1984 be a bad idea because it's a prescribed text for module A (AFAIK)?
Would using Animal Farm be a bad idea if I were to also use this text for Discovery, or would using the same text help in that I'd only have to analyse this text?
How are related texts generally used in Module C essays? It's not a comparative study, but should the essay be split 50/50 between prescribed and related texts?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Module C Representing People & Politics - related texts
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 07:11:09 pm »
+1
What are some good choices for a related text for this module elective? Some ideas:

• House of Cards
  • Animal Farm
Would using 1984 be a bad idea because it's a prescribed text for module A (AFAIK)?
Would using Animal Farm be a bad idea if I were to also use this text for Discovery, or would using the same text help in that I'd only have to analyse this text?
How are related texts generally used in Module C essays? It's not a comparative study, but should the essay be split 50/50 between prescribed and related texts?
Hey there! Using a text from the prescribed text list of another module is completely fine! I don't see any way it would disadvantage you at all. I actually used the same related text for Discovery and for Module C, so your Animal Farm plan would work wonderfully!
I think my split was about 60/40 between prescribed and related for Module C. You're right, it isn't necessarily comparative, but you can draw comparisons between the texts in a way that shows the diversity of representation! So, I said my prescribed text showed a landscape fondly remembered, but my related text showed a landscape fondly looked forward to! So you can draw comparisons, or similarities, between the two :) You can flick through our Advanced English notes section here and locate some Module C essays that might give you some inspiration :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

scienceislife

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 05:57:40 pm »
Are there many short stories which can be used as related texts for Module C or is it better to use novels/satire?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 01:53:06 am »
+1
Are there many short stories which can be used as related texts for Module C or is it better to use novels/satire?
You have the choice here! I think quite often people move towards novels, but you could also have a satirical short story. I can't think of any I've read myself off the top of my head, but I've just googled and found a list here if you want to check it out :) My favourite short story writer is Tim Winton, but he doesn't usually have many starkly political short stories. BUT, I do love Margaret Atwood and I know she has short stories. I'm reading one of her books now and some of her short stories are next on the list - she usually tackles the ideas of politics in satirical, sometimes witty, but always quite stark ways :)

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 05:33:52 am »
Hey I might just chime in here :) - Elyse, which of Atwood's short stories would you recommend? :)

scienceislife

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 07:14:48 am »
Thank you for the tips!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 10:18:59 am »
+1
if you want to go middle of the ground between short story and novel - the novella 'Candide' by Voltaire worked really well for me (plus even though its not actually that hard it makes you feel super smart cos ~philosophy8))!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 06:02:34 pm »
+1
Hey I might just chime in here :) - Elyse, which of Atwood's short stories would you recommend? :)

I wish I could tell you my favourite - but I haven't yet read many. But, they're next on my list! I've just started reading "In other worlds" where she discusses her relationship with Science Fiction. So far so good there! But that's what makes her very good for People and Politics - she consistently explores the relationship between people and the world around them, and the world around will never be free of politics, and in Atwood's work the world is usually FULL of politics :)

_____

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 11:53:28 am »
+1
Hey there! Using a text from the prescribed text list of another module is completely fine! I don't see any way it would disadvantage you at all. I actually used the same related text for Discovery and for Module C, so your Animal Farm plan would work wonderfully!
I think my split was about 60/40 between prescribed and related for Module C. You're right, it isn't necessarily comparative, but you can draw comparisons between the texts in a way that shows the diversity of representation! So, I said my prescribed text showed a landscape fondly remembered, but my related text showed a landscape fondly looked forward to! So you can draw comparisons, or similarities, between the two :) You can flick through our Advanced English notes section here and locate some Module C essays that might give you some inspiration :)

Thanks! I think I'll use Animal Farm for Discovery and Module C, seems to make sense to make things easier for English.

Kirri Rule

• Trailblazer
  • School: Northern beaches christain school
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 07:52:29 pm »
Hi guys were just wondering what related texts people recommend if our school is studying the crucible as I'm really struggling to find a good one. Thank you.

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 07:31:58 pm »
+1
Hi guys were just wondering what related texts people recommend if our school is studying the crucible as I'm really struggling to find a good one. Thank you.

Quick google search, have you tried 'To kill a mocking bird?' as a related text
The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.

bearbear

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 09:34:58 am »
Hi, I am studying The Crucible as my prescribed text and I was thinking of doing The Giver (novel), as my related text but I am not too sure. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 02:10:28 am »
Hi, I am studying The Crucible as my prescribed text and I was thinking of doing The Giver (novel), as my related text but I am not too sure. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks

I think the best thing for you to do to see if this will work is to create a kind of mind map. In what ways does each text explore positive political relationships? or how does each text look specifically at reciprocal relationships? Looking at different aspects of political relationships, and then noting the different ways the two texts explore the same notion, gives you a good idea about how far you'll be able to take your analysis, and in which direction :)

claudiarosaliaa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 08:54:05 pm »
Dr Seuss' The Butter Battle is very good. It centered around the Cold War and the nuclear arms race, and as it's a picture book it's relatively easy to analysis which is a bonus
Year 12 student, Class of 2017. I am currently taking Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2, English Advance, Legal Studies & Drama

Crabstickz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 09:43:04 am »
+1
You could look at some of George Orwell's other works if you wanted something similarly political without picking a text that many people choose?
e.g. Homage to Catalonia, Burmese days, etc...