Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 29, 2024, 06:43:14 pm

Author Topic: Rap music is literally the best music  (Read 4590 times)  Share 

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Rap music is literally the best music
« on: June 13, 2017, 07:18:19 pm »
+5
It's actually a joke that fans of rap have to stay quiet for fear of being ridiculed - people are so condescending of rap music ("oh it's all about guns, what a joke) but it's actually probably the best genre of music available, both lyrically and instrumentally.

Like, lyrically - just basic numbers, your average rap song will have more words than songs of other genres. It would be easy to pick on pop i.e., Katy Perry/T Swizzle with repetitive hooks, but even outside of Top 40, in a general sense, rap will have more words. Like, the entire genre is based on being lyrically strong, whereas pop music might be based on 'sounding catchy' and so on, the value of rap music is pretty heavily intertwined with the skill imbued within its lyrics.

As the GOAT, Eminem is a great example of this. FOR EXAMPLE - the entirety of The Way I Am is written in anapestic tetrameter, which basically means the entire song is written in a pattern where every third syllable is stressed heavily, and the remaining syllable are unstressed. In terms of pure skill, rap has to be dominant - with infinitely more options available to the song structure and writing of the lyrics. From playing around with the metre, to utilising end rhymes, internal rhymes, slant rhymes, and so on - rap is the most lyrically flexible genre, and therefore the lyrically strongest. This often yields overly strong content - consider Kendrick Lamar dealing with race relations and societal power imbalances in To Pimp a Butterfly, or Eminem's discussion of mental health, poverty, politics, and anything in between.

But even beyond the lyrics, rap has a huge diversity of instrumental sound. Because rap is defined by the style of lyrics - i.e., rhyming - the instrumentation is extremely flexible. Whereas something like country or rock is almost always defined by the instrumentation first - i.e., type of instrument, BPM, and so on. The distinct sounds that define other genres come form the instrumentation. The sound that defines rap music is not the instrumentation, but the sound of rhyming. That leaves the instrumentation a lot of flexibility.

I.e.,  Til I Collapse by Eminem has a piano based intro than transitions into guitar, then the song is instrumentally based on rock, featuring the "boom-boom-CLAP" made famous by We Will Rock You. The Nosebleed Section completely relies on the flute instrumentally. There's no broader range of instruments used in a genre of music in rap - from obvious instruments like bass/electric guitar, drums, piano, to less obvious instruments like clarinet, flute, violin. Rap utilises all instrument types - percussion, wind, stringed, and electronic. Instrumentally, rap can feel like jazz, feel classical, feel like rock.

Musically, you can't get better. The only two factors when we talk about good music - we talk about the song/music lyrically and instrumentally. Rap is dominant in both so, lay off the hatred???
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

jz27

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: Rap music is literally the best music
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 07:22:00 pm »
+1
Yup Eminem has so many rhymes

I LOVE RAP!!
2020: Chinese SLA [34-> ~43]
2021 (raw): English [42] Spesh [43] Methods [45] Chem [40] Physics [41]

ATAR: 99.30
UCAT: 3240 (99th)
Studying Medicine at Monash University

Currently taking students for 2023 selective school entry exam, email [email protected] for more details

Running a free selective schools information session on the 17th of July. Email for more details!

The Waterboy

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 07:25:16 pm »
I don't know who your friends are but I haven't known many people that disliked rap because it's all about guns lol.

Most people don't like rap because they aren't introduced to a type of style of rap that they like or they just don't like the sound in general.

I reckon if you want to get in to rap you should start with tupuc and biggie.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 08:56:49 pm »
I don't know who your friends are but I haven't known many people that disliked rap because it's all about guns lol.

Most people don't like rap because they aren't introduced to a type of style of rap that they like or they just don't like the sound in general.

I reckon if you want to get in to rap you should start with tupuc and biggie.
idk, i think eminem is a pretty easy starting place for most people
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:11:14 pm »
idk, i think eminem is a pretty easy starting place for most people

I recon Ed Sheeran has the perfect mix with his off-beat rap in his songs... ;)
Just a thought...
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 09:11:51 pm »
+2
I dunno, not entirely convinced. Don't get me wrong; I'm a big fan of rap, and I can do most of Rap God in time with Slim himself. When the Hoods come on, my window is down and my volume is up.

I agree with you completely with regards to lyrics. I think the importance and sophistication of rap lyrics is completely underplayed; like, even just the number of puns Eminem has had to produce in his time is staggering. Sure, most of them are about killing is mom, but plenty of them aren't.
The word-play, the tone, the meter, it's all a serious feat. Like, whilst the lyrics may not always be at that classic 'poetic' level, they more than make up for it in other creative ways. I have no doubt that future Year 12 students will study dank beats where they used to study Keats.

I don't agree that rap is the pinnacle of instrumental/musical talent. I think those are two completely different skills, and two completely different approaches, to eliciting emotion from sound. You don't get the variation, the soaring arcs, the interplay between instruments and sound, because that just isn't the focus or intention of rap music. I finish a rap song feeling energised, potentially inspired, and pumped. I finish more 'instrumental' songs with whatever feeling that song was trying to convey. I'm not trying to paint rap with one brush; there are definitely exceptions to my previous statement (eg. Stan. Cri errytim). But I do think there is something fundamentally different, and contradictory, between lyrics and melody. You go one of two ways; your voice becomes the focus, and lyrics become key, or your voice becomes instrumental, and sound is key.

Total respect for rap. But I think it serves a particular purpose.

Anyways, I hope you get this, man, hit me back
Just to chat, truly yours, your biggest fan, this is Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 09:48:25 pm »
+2
Rap's nice. I love the atmosphere it creates. Something about it makes me feel rebellious :P

I can't exactly decide on music though. My Youtube made playlist goes from Beethoven to EDM to Charlie Puth to Nightcore and Dubstep.

I can't stand country music though..
Heavy Things :(

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 09:53:53 pm »
+3
Rap remains the one genre of music I haven't managed to like at all yet. I can appreciate the genius of the (good quality) lyrics, but I can't enjoy the music.

I need educating. ::)
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 10:08:24 pm »
Rap remains the one genre of music I haven't managed to like at all yet. I can appreciate the genius of the (good quality) lyrics, but I can't enjoy the music.

I need educating. ::)

Go immerse yourself. Immersion is the key.

http://i.imgur.com/2EZ6Zki.gifv
Heavy Things :(

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 10:23:30 pm »
+1
rap and hip hop is such a diverse genre. i listen to it HEAPS and right at the top of lyricism and skill you have people like eminem and kendrick lamar, but then you get people like lil pump who only use 20 words in a song and its 100% just about the beat.
the difference between two rappers on opposite ends of the spectrum (like eminem on one side and lil pump on the other) is one the biggest gaps out of most genres of music. it is pretty easy to defend the genre in general though with those good examples like eminem or tupac.

You go one of two ways; your voice becomes the focus, and lyrics become key, or your voice becomes instrumental, and sound is key.

there are lots of rappers these days that fall in that second category.  Alot of them have lyrics that are hard to understand ("mumble rappers" is the word) but their main intention in the song is about changing their pitch/speed/flow/hitting notes to the point where the words theyre saying dont mean shit (because they aren't meant to mean anything) they're basically just hitting notes and using their voice as an instrument rather than a way of saying anything     (they still use english words obviously, it's just hard to understand what theyre saying at all to the untrained ear because the focus is on hitting the notes/pitch/right speed and not on enunciation)

like for example heaps of people make fun of young thug for being completely non-understandable and a weird bloke in general (and it doesnt help his biggest song was a joke LOL), but often you'll hear music critics giving him credit in his good songs (anything with over 100million views) for using his voice as an instrument, and there is an appreciation for what hes doing, its just different to more traditional rap (and has made alot of older rap fans upset in recent years, although most of the industrys heavyweights have accepted his success in recent years).
there are actually TONNES of rappers inspired by people like young thug and lil wayne to the point where atlanta is becoming the centre of the rap world now and all the new rappers these days have weird coloured hair, sick beats, and just try to hit notes rather than say anything meaningful.

anyway - yeah i have to defend rap alot because i usually listen to those types of rappers rather than more lyrical ones, but when i put a rap song on in the car for example from one of those rappers, everyone loves it ! it really depends on the context you hear the song and what you are trying to get out of it. if you want to understand what they're saying then you will get nothing out of it since you probably cant properly understand a heavy southern drawl with lots of slang thrown in (thats barely even being enunciated anyway) but if you just want some good music to get you hyped or for background music its good

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 11:05:37 pm »
+3
kk brenden you wanted someone to disagree with you so here ya go.

I disagree with you.

Yeah hard to deny that some rap songs have great lyrics and yes, they do have a lot of words - but I don' think that the fact that they have a lot of words is a very strong argument. Does more words = better song? In my opinion no. Like, some of the most powerful songs today - 'Imagine' by John Lennon, 'Pure Imagination' sung by Gene Wilder, 'Hallelujah' by Leonard Cohen and the National Anthem of the Soviet Union ( ;)) - are lyrically and instrumentally stunning, even with a few (often repeated) words/phrases. You can have a song with absolutely no lyrics and it still be emotionally wrenching. I don't think a genre can be "lyrically the strongest". Like yeah, maybe Slim Shady is lyrically superior to Roar by Katy Perry, but on the flip side Starman by David Bowie runs circles around Anaconda. It's more about the artist than the genre.

In terms of diversity - maybe its just because I'm not a huge rap fan but a lot of them sound the same to me (aside from Eminem - a reason why I like him is his sound is so distinct). Like, percussive beat, repeated/looped sample from a song from the 1960s, words. Obviously massive over generalisation there, but still. I'd say a lot of rap falls into that loop. Whereas with the Beatles, Alt-J, the Beach Boys, Simon and Garfunkel, David Bowie etc. etc. There is not only variation between them and their own albums, but even within the songs as well! My friend recently did a report on Alt-J for uni about how they in particular circumvent traditional music structures. Like they'll suddenly change key, style, tone, speed in a way that "shouldn't work" but it just does cos they're amazing ya know (was fascinating listening to her talk about it haha). But yeah haha there you go someone to disagree with you are you happy?

Basically I think talent is less about the genre, and more about the musician.

Anyways, I hope you get this, man, hit me back
Just to chat, truly yours, your biggest fan, this is Jake
this alone sums up why I don't like rap. It makes people think this is acceptable.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 11:13:27 pm »
+3
My friend recently did a report on Alt-J for uni about how they in particular circumvent traditional music structures. Like they'll suddenly change key, style, tone, speed in a way that "shouldn't work" but it just does cos they're amazing ya know (was fascinating listening to her talk about it haha). But yeah haha there you go someone to disagree with you are you happy?

Simply on the note of Alt-J, if you haven't watched this, you haven't lived. Minorly NSFW
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 11:18:43 pm »
Simply on the note of Alt-J, if you haven't watched this, you haven't lived. Minorly NSFW
YES. The guy on the left is everything I aspire to be. Pure happiness.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 11:52:10 pm »
Idk I feel like I enjoy some rap but it's not my favourite genre. I like a nice beat and tune, some nice vocals and the like (I have nfi about music though so these words are probably wrong). Like, if you wanna listen to music in the shower, I don't think rap gives you the best vibes and best beat and all that. I do love a bit of french rap though! Would definitely recommend, even if you don't understand french (I studied it for 6 years...still don't really understand the rap :P). Actually, french music in general is pretty good. Really enjoy listening to it. I'll point you guys in the direction of Maitre Gims and Stromae (he's technically Belgian though), but there are heaps of ace french artists out there.

I've been missing this my whole life.

This reminds me of Axis of Awesome and the 4 chord song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I :P

The Waterboy

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 12:22:22 am »
+1
snip
I don't have a problem with what you said but you can't make a comparison between another genre of music and rap when you use Anaconda by Nicki Minaj as the example for rap...most wouldn't consider her a 'rapper' 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂