Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 12, 2024, 02:51:35 pm

Author Topic: Memorizing Dates  (Read 1138 times)  Share 

savannahhughes00

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Memorizing Dates
« on: July 19, 2017, 06:00:17 pm »
+1
hey amazing atar notes team!
just wondering if you had any tips as to how to memorize dates for modern history?
i'm getting the content fine, i just struggle to remember specific dates for key events.
thanks so much!

p.s. susie your lecture the other day was the bomb.com
big love,
your number one fan xoxoxo

mixel

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
Re: Memorizing Dates
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 07:20:36 pm »
+1
HSC 2017 subjects
Biology, Economics, English Advanced, English EXT1, English EXT2, General Maths, Modern History

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 07:29:46 pm »
https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=164741.0

Enjoy fam
Got to it before me! Definitely take a look at this thread - one of the BEST ways to study and memorise detail :) The other best way is to construct a detail table (you may remember from the lecture - SO glad that you enjoyed, really makes me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing that it helped you out :) ). This table should go by each syllabus dot point, and just cover detail and quotes - no actual content or arguments :) I'd then use the look/cover/write/check method before exams to make sure that I remembered everything :)

Good luck!

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 07:43:31 pm »
+2
I didn't do the HSC, but I did do History in VCE. :)

My secret to memorising dates was by using mnemonics - they seem a bit silly at first, but I did Revolutions two years ago and still remember a lot of dates because I remember the mnemonics.
My class used the system: A = 1, B = 2, C = 3, and so on up to I = 9. Then we had O = 0. As long as you knew the century the events happened in, all was good.
So for example, for the Boxer Protocol (Chinese revolution), we had "Grandma / Isn't / Overseeing Anything" - 7/9/1901 :)
This system really helped me in my exam, when I needed to remember a date quickly - I just scribbled down G/I/OA and could easily get the numbers from that.

jadzia26

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 10:47:23 pm »
sooo many dates are given to us i dont even know which ones are most important anymore  :-\

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 10:57:43 pm »
+1
sooo many dates are given to us i dont even know which ones are most important anymore  :-\
Tbh I actually focused more on other statistics! Dates are absolutely great don't get me wrong - and like, certain dates (particularly the ones that are literally featured on the syllabus) are very important to know. However, you're never going to be marked down for NOT writing the date - it's just good to include because its detail, thus boosting the overall sophistication of the response!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!