Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 29, 2024, 06:38:45 pm

Author Topic: Jamon - Ask a State Ranker (Q+A Closed!)  (Read 31018 times)  Share 

marioedd

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Jamon - Ask a State Ranker (Q+A Open Now!)
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2017, 04:39:36 pm »
+3
Hey Jamon.
What are your tips on creating an effective study timetable?
Thanks

Olivia2899

• Fresh Poster
  • School: MLC
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2017, 04:41:08 pm »
+3
Hi!
I have my trials on Monday and I have prepared quite well for english, but I've hardly studied for my other subjects since I prioritised english, and all my exams are consecutive. Do you have any tips on how to manage studying effectively for multiple subjects at the same time?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2017, 04:41:46 pm »
+5
Hey Jamon! Just a general question about trials. Usually trials are a lot harder that hsc so if we did poorly in trials would it impact a lot on your hsc mark if you are to perform on the hsc relative to what you do in school internals. So maybe for eg) average 85-90% but the trials 60-70%.

Hey! Nah definitely not, a strong HSC performance is way more important than anything else. Remember that all your internal assessments are just to set a rank - If your rank stays good, then no issues whatsoever!! The mark you receive in Trials by itself is completely irrelevant, besides indicating to you exactly where you sit ;D

A guide on scaling/moderation if you want to know more!

For english as well what is the best way to tackle paper 2 with 3 essays in 40 minutes. I'm really struggling to manage my time for this Anyt tips? ;)

I struggled with this a heap as well!

- Do lots of practice, Paper 2 is a bloody workout. You want to train for it! Try and write essays under timed conditions (40 mins) to get used to that pressure :)
- Never spend more than 40 minutes on an essay. If you look up and see you have spent over 40 minutes, conclude the paragraph immediately, write a quick conclusion, and move on. It's way better to do this than compound the issue by finishing the essay as normal :)
- Keep an eye on the clock to avoid the above
- Stop writing for a minute or two between each essay to refresh, refocus, and plan the approach for the next essay. Besides this, even writing slowly is still writing if your hand gets sore - Keep going!
- A guide on handwriting speed, might be helpful!

Also whats the best way to use the time after trials and before hsc and keep up the motivation to study.
Thanks as always :D

HUGE BREAK AFTER TRIALS! Like, multiple weeks, you've earned a rest. Once you feel recharged, ease yourself back into study, prepare yourself a study timetable - Then work as hard as you can. Have lists that you check off to make sure you are progressing. Develop a routine (I did a Maths practice paper every morning from September through to my HSC) - And stay positive! Positivity is a performance enhancer ;D

mohanedibrahim1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2017, 04:44:05 pm »
+3
Hey Jamon, how many piece of evidence should we have in each body paragraph thank you.

pianodish

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2017, 04:45:57 pm »
+3
Hi Jamon,

I was just wondering whether you felt as prepared for Trials as you did for HSC? My Trials start next week and although I feel like I've spent so much time studying I really feel like it's impossible to know everything yet in this short space of time we've had to study between our previous assessments and Trials.

So do you think it's fine to not feel as prepared for Trials? Do you have any tips for not feeling overwhelmed by/how to handle being tested on the whole year's worth of information for the first time?

oreillya

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2017, 04:46:06 pm »
+3
Hi Jamon, just wondering if you can give me some advice on how to study for advanced english? Did you memorise all of your essays and then adapt them? Thanks, Amy

andreea

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2017, 04:47:47 pm »
+3
Hi Jamon,
I was wondering if you have any good tips for what to eat the morning of an exam? I'm one of those people that's always snacking rather than having proper meals so I'm struggling to find something filling that will last for a 3 hour exam, and all my exams are in the morning.
Also, how would you go about answering a 7 mark question on discussing compliance and non compliance in regard to human rights, with a contemporary issue? The one I'd chosen is human trafficking and slavery and I'm not sure exactly what to include and how to set it out.
Thanks! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2017, 04:47:59 pm »
+4
Hey, Jamon !
What do you think is the best way to study for content- heavy subjects such as legal studies?

Hey Gabbie! Welcome to the forums!!

Really tough question there - I'd say I had two content heavy subjects, Legal being the biggest for sure, followed by Physics. My tips would be:

- Know your syllabus, you need to know what is essential knowledge and what isn't. A lot of the Legal options, for example, have bits of content you'll never need because you are only writing essays. Understanding that can help you work efficiently!
- Do lots of practice! The best way to memorise content is to apply it in practice essays, or practicing MC questions, etc etc. Learn by doing!
- Here are some other cool ways I memorised stuff for Legal!

I think the trick is knowing how you learn, because you probably learn very different to me. I personally made summary sheets like these to help me remember content. You might take that and do a mind map instead, or record yourself reading your notes to listen to (I did this sometimes and it worked quite well for me!). You might learn by discussing the issues with your peers (I studied with my girlfriend, worked amazingly) - Point being, everyone is different! Find what works for you :)

Here are some other quirky study techniques!

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2017, 04:48:04 pm »
+4
How did you find the motivation to continue to study?

Was it the possible careers, sense of achievement or whatever else?

Right now I'm struggling to find a motivation to study for. I don't have a particular course at uni I'm 100% set on and I'm lacking a drive to really succeed. I've got all the resources and capability but cannot find the drive.

Also, sometimes I feel that my hard work doesn't pay off. Ever since last year I've been at the library studying from 3-9 every single day but my results while aren't terrible are definitely not what I expected having put so much time in. I know there's the idea of effective study but I feel that I'm fairly productive most of the time but it makes me frustrated when classmates turn up and wing exams and score higher. People keep telling me HSC is a reflection of your work you put in but I can't help but feel I'm not cut out for it. Did you ever feel this at any point? At your 3U lecture you mentioned one should turn their disappointment into drive for their next assessment and I've been doing that but it doesn't seem to produce results ):

Trials are coming up next monday and I'm scared I'll choke, blank out and bomb it.

Heavy Things :(

~BK~

• Trendsetter
  • "Bibia be ye ye"- all will be well!
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2017, 04:48:31 pm »
+5
Hey Jamon  ;D
I REALLLLY need help on how to best tackle short answers for legal studies....
how long would I be expected to write for a 5 mark q?!?!
thanks
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2017, 04:51:47 pm »
+3
Hey Jamon,
I was wondering for legal how did you study and how were you able to memorise all your cases/media/legislation? (I think this may already have been asked though). Also, do you have any tips for the 25 mark option essays (I'm doing consumer and family law)?
For music, how did study for the aural exam? I feel like I can hear a lot of the stuff but find it really hard to put it onto the paper. Have you got any tips for when you are in the exam room and to score a high response? How did you structure your responses for music?
For the performances, what are the things that the marker really look out for, and how would I be able to get into the A range for them (I'm doing 4 pieces on clarinet with piano accompaniment).
Also, do you have any general tips on how to improve in English. English is my worst subject and also the one I dislike the most. Planning to ask Emily some more specific English stuff, but any tips will help :D
How did it feel being the first person from NSW on ATARnotes?
Also, really curious to know what was on your exam playlist?
Thanks so much!! :) :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2017, 04:52:39 pm »
+4
Hey Jamon, i have a question about legal studies
what is the best way to study and prepare for the 215 mark crime response?

Hey! Welcome to the forums!! ;D

- Practice, practice, practice - You really need to make sure you are putting yourself in the exam scenario (or something close to it) before the actual thing comes along. This will help you be more effectively prepared ;D
- Know what sorts of arguments you want to make. A well developed and clever Thesis is vital to getting that perfect score in a Legal essay - I wrote a guide on this you can read right here!
- Make summary sheets like these to summarise the main things you need to remember to include in the response
- Have your essay read by a friend/teacher, and then read other peoples responses to see what they do! Feedback, in any form, is crucial ;D

At its core, the Crime essay is about knowing your stuff and arguing it clearly. Knowing your stuff, that's something everyone does differently, and arguing clearly can come only from practice ;D

tammy.tran31

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2017, 04:53:03 pm »
+3
Hi Jamon!

For your music performances, how did you cope with nerves before performing?
Also, what would be the best way to study for an aural exam for music?

Thank you!

nattynatman

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2017, 04:53:25 pm »
+3
Hey Jamon,
What was it that stood out in your musicology that earnt you an encore mention?
I'm about to do my viva in less than 2 weeks and I'm still trying to further research/analyse pieces
My elective is An Instrument and it's Repertoire and focus: a comparison of the harpsichord and pianoforte as exemplified by Jacques Loussier's Jazz piano renditions of Bach's album: Goldberg Variations
Sorry for all the qs but would this focus name also be too long? I never really had my teacher check it haha
What are your best tips for the research /presenting process?

Thank you so much!!! You are saving the hsc community :)

rizellepan

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2017, 04:55:10 pm »
+3
Hi Jamon,
If I've completely messed up all my exams throughout the year, do relatively okay for trials but completely smash my hsc exams, how much impact would that make on my atar? I see no hope for me at this point :(