Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 06:19:59 pm

Author Topic: What Would Be In The Year 10 Maths Exam for Victorian Selective School?  (Read 4920 times)  Share 

hegihugo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
Just wondering what sub-groups of maths would be in the maths exam, would it be something like surds, quadratics?

WhompingWillow

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: What Would Be In The Year 10 Maths Exam for Victorian Selective School?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 07:09:18 pm »
What school are u applying for next year?

Chinese SL   Methods

English  Economics Spesh  Physics

Sconey

• Trendsetter
  • 'Any fool can know. The point is to understand.'
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 07:14:02 pm »
What school are u applying for next year?

Looks to be MHS based off his posts.

hegihugo

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 07:26:53 pm »
Yeah, I'm applying for MHS, is the test different between each school?

sZera

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 07:51:15 pm »
Yeah, I'm applying for MHS, is the test different between each school?

No, all the tests are the same, unless ur going for JMSS.
2018 | :(
2019 | :'(

GMT. -_-

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 08:15:23 pm »
No, all the tests are the same, unless ur going for JMSS.
Wait, wasn't the selective test for MHS and the others occur a few months ago.

hegihugo

• Trendsetter
What Would Be In The Year 10 Maths Exam for Victorian Selective School?
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 08:21:18 pm »
No for 2019 year 10 entry

GMT. -_-

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 08:38:34 pm »
No for 2019 year 10 entry
Lol, I'm leaving that school this year to go back to my old school, I personally don't like it. Anyways... answering your question, it is almost impossible to get full marks on the maths section (don't worry, you don't need insane marks to get a superior). The year I did the test, insane questions were in that test. The test  consisted of linear? quadratics, surds, some geometry questions, problem solving and some stuff in year 9-10. I recommend to not bother with the last 15 or so, as some questions are quite advanced into the maths curriculum. Focus on the questions you find very easy, then tackle the problem solving ones where you had to read some annoying stuff. After that, leave like the last few minutes to skim read the last few questions, and have an educated guess, remember, they are testing your speed and accuracy in a very constricted time, so don't fell pressured doing bad on the last few questions, instead, do well on the first 3/4 of the test. This is all though, judgement from the Year 9 Maths exam.
Anyways, good luck with your studies!

jz27

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 09:14:09 pm »
wait tell me why u want to leave and what school ur going back to
2020: Chinese SLA [34-> ~43]
2021 (raw): English [42] Spesh [43] Methods [45] Chem [40] Physics [41]

ATAR: 99.30
UCAT: 3240 (99th)
Studying Medicine at Monash University

Currently taking students for 2023 selective school entry exam, email [email protected] for more details

Running a free selective schools information session on the 17th of July. Email for more details!

hegihugo

• Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 10:04:37 pm »

Lol, I'm leaving that school this year to go back to my old school, I personally don't like it. Anyways... answering your question, it is almost impossible to get full marks on the maths section (don't worry, you don't need insane marks to get a superior). The year I did the test, insane questions were in that test. The test  consisted of linear? quadratics, surds, some geometry questions, problem solving and some stuff in year 9-10. I recommend to not bother with the last 15 or so, as some questions are quite advanced into the maths curriculum. Focus on the questions you find very easy, then tackle the problem solving ones where you had to read some annoying stuff. After that, leave like the last few minutes to skim read the last few questions, and have an educated guess, remember, they are testing your speed and accuracy in a very constricted time, so don't fell pressured doing bad on the last few questions, instead, do well on the first 3/4 of the test. This is all though, judgement from the Year 9 Maths exam.

That's interesting what was your experience with MHS? Did you get in from year 9; and thank you so mean much for the advice!!

P.S. I've heard a bit of negative things about the teaching at MHS but I think that the environment there is really amazing and to be surrounded my like minded students would be a very interesting experience

GalacticProcess

• Forum Obsessive
  • The key to success, is failure.
  • Respect: +139
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 10:37:00 pm »
+5
Just wondering what sub-groups of maths would be in the maths exam, would it be something like surds, quadratics?
Hey mate! Great to see you working hard to achieve what you want, and hopefully you succeed. :)

I found the topics on another thread on AN, but I've added short explanations to each one for some more info. :)

For maths, the main topics that are usually on the exam are:
- Angles
---> Basic stuff where they ask you to find the missing angle. Sometimes there can be more difficult questions but I can't recall tbh. My advice is to study the main angle rules and what not (corresponding, alternate, co-interior, supplementary, complementary angles, parallel lines and angles they create,  etc.)
- Pythagoras
---> Know the Pythagorean theorem and learn how to implement it into questions. You need to be able to square numbers pretty quickly for this as well, and it will save some time. Every second is crucial.
- Trigonometry (SOHCAHTOA)
---> Yeah so pretty much learn it properly.  Usually, if not all of the time, the answer options will be stuff like '15 sin 30' or '30 cos 46'. They never really ask you to calculate it to the simplest form (may be wrong, but pretty sure). Really good if you can do this quickly as well. There is, most of the time, a few questions on trig so it's good to know well.
- Linear Algebra
---> I'm not sure lol, but I think this is just working out the variable in an equation. Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what it is (can someone confirm?). Example -
Calculate x: 4x+1=21 (x=5)
- Simultaneous Equations
---> I'm not sure how often this is on the exams, but I'm sure it'd be good to know. It is covered in the year 9 syllabus (pretty sure it is) so it could pop up. Good to do these fast as well.
- Linear Relations (Sketching, understanding the different properties)
---> Most of the time (if not always), they'll ask you questions about this. A question that I think is common is finding the gradient of a line. Like, they'll give you a graph, with two points that have been labeled, and you have to find the gradient. You should know this topic pretty well just to be safe, as they could ask you anything. They could also give you an equation of a line, and the options would be different graphs that you think the equation corresponds to. So like: Which graph represents equation 4x+1=21?
- Measurement (Surface Area, Volume, Conversion, Area, Perimeter)
---> Pretty self-explanatory tbh. Know how to work out the all those above. Also, know how to work those out, but of irregular shapes (like random shapes). I'm sure there may be a question with irregular shapes, and so many people will get it wrong because of the time pressure.
- Index Laws
---> These are very useful tbh. There is a high chance they will ask you something about indices. Basically learn the index laws and be pretty fluent in them, and they are also very useful (like, VERY VERY CRUCIAL) when you need to simplify an algebraic expression or equation. An example of an index law: Find: a^-2 (1/a^2).
- Surds
---> Yeah so all of the basics. Simplifying surds is really important. You may need to find the area of a shape, and the answer may be in surd form, so it's quite important to know. Example: Simplify sqrt(75).     A:5*sqrt(3)
- Geometry (Basics behind Congruence, Similarity and Bearings)
---> Yeah so basically what it says above. Not too sure how much of bearings you need to know, but it won't hurt to learn it just is case it pops up on the exam.
- Factorising and Expanding (Make sure you can do these fast)
---> This is going to be very useful, and will be important with quadratic equations as well. If you can do these really fast, amazing! Will save heaps of time.
- Parabolas (Sketching and Properties)
---> They usually come up on the exam, but there aren't too many questions on them - maybe a few (just my experience though, may be different to your test). I don't really remember what type of questions they ask, but I think it's usually a graph and you have to identify a property of it. Something like: What is the turning point of this parabola?
- Quadratic Equations (Nulls Law will be useful)
---> This will be quite useful in the exam, as it's covered quite a bit in year 9 and 10. I feel that a lot of people can get questions like this wrong, and if you know this topic well, it'll be great. You can search up what Nulls Law is on Google for great examples and explanations, if you don't already know what it is.
- Probability (Optional but may save a few seconds in the test if you understand how a certain chart works)
---> I'm not sure how many questions on probability there are, but I'm certain there will be a few. Stuff like jelly bean questions and coin tossing (ie. If a coin is tosses 3 times, what are the chances of 3 heads?)

With the maths exam, the questions aren't at all difficult, it's just that there are so many of them! If you can do these confidently and fast, you'll be set. Just try to make as less mistakes as possible, and look for quick methods to work things out. Just a note, that you may think that the harder questions are at the end of the exam, but that's usually not the case. Sometimes, even the easiest questions can be at the end. It's usually an even spread of difficulty BUT, in some years, there may be harder questions at the end.

These topics are not the only ones you should cover though. These are just the main ones, but I can't really recall others. Good luck with your preparation for the exams, and continue to ask questions about it on AN. :)

GMT. -_-

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 10:43:21 pm »
+2
That's interesting what was your experience with MHS? Did you get in from year 9; and thank you so mean much for the advice!!

P.S. I've heard a bit of negative things about the teaching at MHS but I think that the environment there is really amazing and to be surrounded my like minded students would be a very interesting experience
I got in as a Year 8 sitting for the year 9 entrance test. In Melbourne High. you would foster the most amazing friendships you could ever hope/wish for, and in my opinion those friends you gain is the best thing you could get from this school, and I am sure they will linger with you for a long time in your life. (If you stay there for the entire 3/4 years). Workload is a bit of a jump and quite annoying complemented with private tuition work if you do them to accel or whatever. Languages is a pain unless you can smurf in one of the 4 languages. There's so much things to talk about, but in a nutshell, it is truly a thrilling experience to be in this school, definitely stay there unless you want to do VCE subjects earlier, they're stern about that.

jz27

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 06:21:40 pm »
I got in as a Year 8 sitting for the year 9 entrance test. In Melbourne High. you would foster the most amazing friendships you could ever hope/wish for, and in my opinion those friends you gain is the best thing you could get from this school, and I am sure they will linger with you for a long time in your life. (If you stay there for the entire 3/4 years). Workload is a bit of a jump and quite annoying complemented with private tuition work if you do them to accel or whatever. Languages is a pain unless you can smurf in one of the 4 languages. There's so much things to talk about, but in a nutshell, it is truly a thrilling experience to be in this school, definitely stay there unless you want to do VCE subjects earlier, they're stern about that.
apparently you can do any year 11 VCE subject there in year ten, apart from maths
2020: Chinese SLA [34-> ~43]
2021 (raw): English [42] Spesh [43] Methods [45] Chem [40] Physics [41]

ATAR: 99.30
UCAT: 3240 (99th)
Studying Medicine at Monash University

Currently taking students for 2023 selective school entry exam, email [email protected] for more details

Running a free selective schools information session on the 17th of July. Email for more details!

GMT. -_-

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 06:27:17 pm »
apparently you can do any year 11 VCE subject there in year ten, apart from maths
That's the problem, I want to do maths ;P

as_2002

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 03:31:29 pm »
Approximately how many people are leaving in your year level?