Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 04:08:26 pm

Author Topic: Possible to get a good ATAR with these subjects?  (Read 5491 times)  Share 

rutilantel

• Adventurer
  • Student Dilemmas!
  • Respect: +3
Possible to get a good ATAR with these subjects?
« on: September 21, 2017, 12:51:47 pm »
Hello!
Sorry to make one of these type of posts, but I've become slightly worried with choosing entertainment industry (VET), after reading several articles about how it scales really poorly.  :o

And yes, I'm only in year 10, but my subjects have been finalised and I really just want to mentally prepare myself for the senior years to come by asking what may seem the most stupid, obvious questions.

These are my subjects:
- Advanced English   ;D
- Business Studies   8)
- Drama   ;D
- Math Standard 2U   :o
- Entertainment Industry (VET - 3 Units)   :-X
- Studies of Religion 1U   :)

My ATAR aim is 91+. And I know, generally on the forms people ask:
If I do (X) subjects, can I get (Y) ATAR...

But now, for some reason, I've genuinely worried myself by reading about scaling too much so - Advice would be appreciated!
★ HSC 2019 ★
Advanced English, Business Studies, Legal Studies, SOR 1, Drama,  Standard Math

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Possible to get a good ATAR with these subjects?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 01:16:59 pm »
+4
Hey!! Good to ask these questions now I think, good to know what you are getting yourself into! ;D

Yes, you can absolutely get 91+ (and far above) with those subjects.

Scaling isn't a reason to be concerned or to change/regret subject choices - You've picked what you enjoy and that is going to reward you. You might need to get a slightly higher mark than someone doing, say, Extension Maths would to get an equivalent benefit, but you will get that. Because it is easier to work hard on things that you are passionate about and have an interest in ;D

Oh, and if you are keen for more reading on scaling, this is our scaling guide :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 01:25:29 pm »
+5
hey most of my subjects weren't typically considered "high scaling" but that didn't matter in the end :) In fact, my highest scaling subject - Economics - didn't even end up counting towards my ATAR! Probably because it was the subject that I was least passionate about. Also, a lot of the subjects you mentioned are "rumoured" to be low scaling, but in reality are actually pretty decent! My school bought back my raw marks for a couple of subjects, and my raw overall mark for Drama (notorious for being one of the "lowest" scaling subjects) was 82, but it scaled up to 91 and ended up counting towards my ATAR :) A girl last year got a 99.95 ATAR and 5 state ranks while studying Visual Arts, 3u English, Ancient, Modern, Extension History (ie. no maths or science) but still did AMAZING. So don't stress about it :) Of course, yes, she is clearly a very special case, but it shows that if you work hard and are passionate about what you are studying, you can definitely achieve your goal :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

rutilantel

• Adventurer
  • Student Dilemmas!
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 01:47:23 pm »
Okay, awesome!
Thank you guys  ;D
★ HSC 2019 ★
Advanced English, Business Studies, Legal Studies, SOR 1, Drama,  Standard Math