Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 01, 2024, 02:26:23 pm

Author Topic: Module B TS Eliot Question  (Read 5353 times)

ungmon

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Module B TS Eliot Question
« on: October 13, 2017, 10:07:24 pm »
So for the upcoming paper 2, module B, I'm doing TS Eliot and was wondering. Say we are asked:

"In your response, make detailed reference to TWO of the poems set for study"

I understand the "TWO" is typically to prevent people speaking of just one poem but, would this also restrict us to ONLY talking about two? Would we be penalized for discussing three of his poems?

Cheers.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Module B TS Eliot Question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 10:09:00 pm »
So for the upcoming paper 2, module B, I'm doing TS Eliot and was wondering. Say we are asked:

"In your response, make detailed reference to TWO of the poems set for study"

I understand the "TWO" is typically to prevent people speaking of just one poem but, would this also restrict us to ONLY talking about two? Would we be penalized for discussing three of his poems?

Cheers.

I interpret this to mean you just have to satisfy the criteria of talking about two in detail, and then a third is on your grounds to make it work - definitely something you're not immediately penalised for :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

ungmon

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 11:02:46 pm »
Hmm, so would this mean that if I had three analysis' of three poems that ends up at about 1000 words, that would be marked worse than if I were to talk about just two that ultimately ended up at about 1000 words? (assuming the quality of my analysis remains equal)  :o

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 12:08:59 am »
Hmm, so would this mean that if I had three analysis' of three poems that ends up at about 1000 words, that would be marked worse than if I were to talk about just two that ultimately ended up at about 1000 words? (assuming the quality of my analysis remains equal)  :o
I really don't think the number of poems you talk about will adversely affect your mark. I would think it will enhance your analysis, provided you're conceptually addressing the question, rather than keeping it text-based. Since Eliot's poetry is heavily a close study, mentioning another text can seriously strengthen your point, but keep the focus to two texts and really delve into in-depth analysis on how Eliot creates textual integrity through a close study on his language forms and features.

J.B

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 09:06:27 am »
Hi,
I was just wondering if the question asks for us to refer to THREE poems, should my structure be:

Theme 1:
-poem 1
-poem 2
-poem 3

then

Theme 2:
-poem 1
-poem 2
-poem 3

OR

Theme 1:
-poem 1
-poem 2

then

Theme 2:
-poem 1
-poem 3

or any other suggestions? As if I try to do all three for both themes, I feel I will have to condense my analysis a lot and this will result in a superficial analysis?

Thanks

DonQ

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 10:23:13 pm »
Do you think they will specify a poem for Eliot this year?
Last year it was Hollow Men

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 10:35:22 pm »
+1
Hi,
I was just wondering if the question asks for us to refer to THREE poems, should my structure be:

Theme 1:
-poem 1
-poem 2
-poem 3

then

Theme 2:
-poem 1
-poem 2
-poem 3

OR

Theme 1:
-poem 1
-poem 2

then

Theme 2:
-poem 1
-poem 3

or any other suggestions? As if I try to do all three for both themes, I feel I will have to condense my analysis a lot and this will result in a superficial analysis?

Thanks
Hey! I think both would work, but I personally chose to do the second structure last year, as it allowed for me to explore the poems in more depth :)

Do you think they will specify a poem for Eliot this year?
Last year it was Hollow Men
Don't be like me and assume they won't. Hollow Men was the only poem I didn't study last year, because I (and many others, including my teacher) thought - "nah, no way they'd prescribe that one, like if they're gonna prescribe it'll be Prufrock or Preludes or something". Boy did I get a sorry shock in the exam aha.

I really wouldn't try and predict it. Like on the one hand, they did it last year, but they didn't prescribe the year before, so maybe theres a pattern? But on the other hand, they know that students think that way, and will maybe try to catch them out by prescribing again. Always better to be safe than sorry :)

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

simplyisisxo14

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 12:08:09 am »
I'm worrying about being prescribed a particular poem for this year's Eliot question... say they do specify this year, does it mean majority of my response must be on that prescribed poem? How many paragraphs on the prescribed poem would be considered safe?

kemi

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 12:14:26 am »
+1
I'm worrying about being prescribed a particular poem for this year's Eliot question... say they do specify this year, does it mean majority of my response must be on that prescribed poem? How many paragraphs on the prescribed poem would be considered safe?

Hey :)

No, there is no reason to make your response unbalanced. Just stick with your normal essay structure, but just incorporate the prescribed poem! Maybe by just "swapping" one of the original poems you had in mind.

Hope that helped
HSC 2017

- X1Eng - X1Math - Chem - Bio (3rd in NSW) -

99.50 :D