Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 01:37:19 pm

Author Topic: Language Analysis: positioning the reader  (Read 7768 times)  Share 

lemondrink

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Language Analysis: positioning the reader
« on: October 31, 2017, 05:36:05 pm »
I'm struggling with ways to express how certain persuasive techniques position the reader e.g. "encourage the reader to feel" or "persuade the reader to..." bc I feel like I'm repeating myself with the same lines on how it positions the reader, and would like to know what other people write when explaining on how a persuasive technique 'encourages' the reader to feel a certain way.
Thanks!

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
Re: Language Analysis: positioning the reader
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 05:43:12 pm »
+5
If you are linking the technique to the intended purpose/why, you could write something like 'ultimately, this is intended to...', 'the writer does (insert effect) by using...'or 'This is designed to... '. If you are trying to link the intended purpose and effect you could write something like 'this may act on the readers' sense of...', 'consequently, readers may harbour a sense of...', 'in effect, readers may experience...', 'Henceforth, (insert emotion) may evoke readers towards...', ''in addition, (insert emotion) may be aroused in the readers', or 'subsequently, readers are invited to consider/asked to question/confronted with/subjected to'.

Hope this helps! All the best for tomorrow  :)

EDIT: When explaining how readers are positioned to react, it's a good idea to use the word 'may' rather than assertive language. For author's intentions though, or direct effects, assertive language is perfectly fine.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:59:10 pm by appleandbee »
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb