Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 01:03:44 am

Author Topic: Major Work Idea  (Read 1510 times)  Share 

paisleym

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Major Work Idea
« on: November 10, 2017, 07:33:29 pm »
Hi,
I've just gotten my first assessment notification for History Ext and it's a proposal for our major work. I'm really keen to doing something about the holocaust or nazism but am not quite sure where to go from there haha. I was just wondering if anyone had any angles/ideas/suggestions that i might be able to explore for my major work?

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
Re: Major Work Idea
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 09:14:06 pm »
+4
Hi,
I've just gotten my first assessment notification for History Ext and it's a proposal for our major work. I'm really keen to doing something about the holocaust or nazism but am not quite sure where to go from there haha. I was just wondering if anyone had any angles/ideas/suggestions that i might be able to explore for my major work?

Since it is still in the very early stages, just research and read and research and read until you find themes/events/ideas/personalities that keep grabbing your interest. The topics you are interested at the moment are super broad, so researching will hopefully provide you with the narrower topics that interest you.
Someone else will surely pitch in here though  :) Mines a fairly basic answer

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 09:35:38 pm »
+4
Hi,

Hey! If you're interested in looking at the Holocaust or Nazism, maybe take a look at the concept of Holocaust denial? That's a big historiographical issue, that prompts a lot of debate and controversy - can lead to some really interesting discussions regarding the nature of truth, postmodernist theory, etc. etc. You could have a look at David Irving specifically - he is a famous (or, more accurately, infamous) holocaust denier, who made the "history is only ever interpretation" argument to validate his works against harsh criticism.

Another interesting topic could be looking at "national" history, or history through textbooks in relation to how World War II is portrayed in the school textbooks of Germany, Japan, America, etc. etc. I did some preliminary research on this at the beginning of last year, as I considered undertaking this topic. Was quite interesting.

Overall, just remember that even though you may be interested in studying the Holocaust of Nazism, that your major work can't just be about those two topics, it has to be about historiography - so just steer clear of questions directly assessing historical elements, unless they are the subject of intensive debate.

Also, other random point, but the HTA History Extension prize has two subcategories - US studies, and Holocaust/Genocide studies! You might be able to find some of the successful major works from this competition around (I can't remember if they are published in the HTA journal or if it is just the general prize winners, but if they are you can normally access HTA articles for $4) - also, you can enter this once your major work is complete! ;)

Hope this helps,

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

paisleym

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 04:00:46 pm »
Hey! If you're interested in looking at the Holocaust or Nazism, maybe take a look at the concept of Holocaust denial? That's a big historiographical issue, that prompts a lot of debate and controversy - can lead to some really interesting discussions regarding the nature of truth, postmodernist theory, etc. etc. You could have a look at David Irving specifically - he is a famous (or, more accurately, infamous) holocaust denier, who made the "history is only ever interpretation" argument to validate his works against harsh criticism.

Another interesting topic could be looking at "national" history, or history through textbooks in relation to how World War II is portrayed in the school textbooks of Germany, Japan, America, etc. etc. I did some preliminary research on this at the beginning of last year, as I considered undertaking this topic. Was quite interesting.

Overall, just remember that even though you may be interested in studying the Holocaust of Nazism, that your major work can't just be about those two topics, it has to be about historiography - so just steer clear of questions directly assessing historical elements, unless they are the subject of intensive debate.

Also, other random point, but the HTA History Extension prize has two subcategories - US studies, and Holocaust/Genocide studies! You might be able to find some of the successful major works from this competition around (I can't remember if they are published in the HTA journal or if it is just the general prize winners, but if they are you can normally access HTA articles for $4) - also, you can enter this once your major work is complete! ;)

Hope this helps,

Susie
Since it is still in the very early stages, just research and read and research and read until you find themes/events/ideas/personalities that keep grabbing your interest. The topics you are interested at the moment are super broad, so researching will hopefully provide you with the narrower topics that interest you.
Someone else will surely pitch in here though  :) Mines a fairly basic answer

Wow thank you so much guys! Really helpful xx :)