Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 04:57:26 pm

Author Topic: Volunteering- Teaching English  (Read 1597 times)  Share 

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
Volunteering- Teaching English
« on: December 23, 2017, 09:38:28 pm »
+7
Hello everyone  :D

Now that I’ve escaped the clutches of VCE, I’d really like to invest my time in some volunteering opportunities. Most noteably, I’ve been considering teaching English to disadvantaged social groups, such as refugees or immigrants.

Has anyone had experience with this type of work? If so, could you please recommend some organisations that facilitate such a practice?

Many thanks in advance.
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: Volunteering- Teaching English
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 09:48:58 pm »
+10

Now that I’ve escaped the clutches of VCE, I’d really like to invest my time in some volunteering opportunities. Most noteably, I’ve been considering teaching English to disadvantaged social groups, such as refugees or immigrants.

Has anyone had experience with this type of work? If so, could you please recommend some organisations that facilitate such a practice?

Many thanks in advance.
Hey!
Not sure if this would interest you but The Smith Family (children's charity) run literacy 'learning clubs' at various schools for primary school aged children that come from various backgrounds.
They usually start running these clubs around April, however they start doing all the checks early January, as they can take a lot of time. :)
(Source: I have looked into doing this myself :D )

I'd also highly suggest looking at volunteering websites as well, they usually have a lot of opportunities like this. ;D
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 09:51:36 pm »
+3
Hey!
Not sure if this would interest you but The Smith Family (children's charity) run literacy 'learning clubs' at various schools for primary school aged children that come from various backgrounds.

That sounds awesome! I’ll definitely check it out, insanipi 😀
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 10:43:18 pm »
+7

Many thanks in advance.

There are also programmes available to teach VCE English to disadvantaged students. Applications* are open for the SWOT programme, which sees university students tutor high school students from disadvantaged backgrounds. There are a lot of students in the programme from migrant families. Indeed, one particular school that I had to work out for a little while was almost 100% LOTE.

VCESS is another programme to keep an eye out for. Same thing really, except we have students come into Melbourne uni for two weeks during the summer. It's much too late to get involved in the programme at this point, however, applications open late semester 1 so you should definitely consider that too :)

*form is at the end of the post.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 11:12:44 pm »
+5
I have experience doing volunteer English teaching with SAIL (Sudanese Australian Integrated Learning programme). The organisation has a great philosophy and vision. When I was there for a campus tour, the manager said that they don't plan to be around forever, and when they don't have to, it would be a good thing (as the community would be empowered enough, the organisation doesn't exist simply to make volunteers feel good about themselves but to serve the community). They always need more volunteers, as they aim to have one on one tutoring, with tutors working with the same kid for a meaningful duration.   
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb