Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 10:50:32 pm

Author Topic: major work structure  (Read 3199 times)  Share 

melodamn

• Adventurer
  • ;)
  • Respect: +1
major work structure
« on: January 05, 2018, 01:16:25 am »
How do you structure the major work??
Would there be an introduction plus three chapters (how many chapters)?????

Pls help (I am so lost)
Mel | 18 | history hoe | 1st in cafs year 11 | cafs dropout

english advanced / visual arts / society and culture / modern history / extension history / sor1 / TVET human services

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: major work structure
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 05:47:29 pm »
+4

Pls help (I am so lost)

Hey,
Mine didn't have any chapters. It was a longer 2500 word essay (as well as the logbooks, bibliography, source analysis and synopsis).
My essay ended up having an Intro, 7 body paragraphs (some were smaller then others) and a conclusion. However, there isn't really a set amount of paragraphs that you need to write and it depends upon your points/arguments.
Hope this helps :D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:49:04 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 06:09:23 pm »
+4

Pls help (I am so lost)
To add onto what katie said, there really is not "set" way to structure the major work. Not only is it individual to your school (as your teacher is marking you, not an external NESA examiner), but also to you and your own project.

At my school, our synopsis could be our introduction, thus I didn't have an introduction included within my 2500 words (however I know other schools don't allow this). I'm assuming you mean paragraphs rather than chapters? I've never heard of a school allowing chapters or headings, however if that is something that your school expects then ignore me :)

My project was structured this way (does not mean it has to be a guide for your own, just to demonstrate the variety, considering mine was different to Katie's).

Synopsis/Intro - 300 words not included in the 2500 of the essay.
Two large paragraphs (indented so that it was still legible, I treated my essays as a paragraph per major idea or issue, as I only had two that I just explored in depth, that meant two large paragraphs)
Conclusion

As katie said, the way you structure your essay will be individual to you and your project. If it takes 2/3/5/11 paragraphs to explain what you want then that's all good, as long as they are paragraphs of substance :)

Hope this helps,

Susie
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:31:10 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

melodamn

• Adventurer
  • ;)
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 10:03:13 pm »
+2
To add onto what katie said, there really is not "set" way to structure the major work. Not only is it individual to your school (as your teacher is marking you, not an external NESA examiner), but also to you and your own project.

At my school, our synopsis could be our introduction, thus I didn't have an introduction included within my 2500 words (however I know other schools don't allow this). I'm assuming you mean paragraphs rather than chapters? I've never heard of a school allowing chapters or headings, however if that is something that your school expects then ignore me :)

My project was structured this way (does not mean it has to be a guide for your own, just to demonstrate the variety, considering mine was different to Katie's).

Synopsis/Intro - 300 words not included in the 2500 of the essay.
Two large paragraphs (indented so that it was still legible, I treated my essays as a paragraph per major idea or issue, as I only had two that I just explored in depth, that meant two large paragraphs)
Conclusion

As katie said, the way you structure your essay will be individual to you and your project. If it takes 2/3/5/11 paragraphs to explain what you want then that's all good, as long as they are paragraphs of substance :)

Hope this helps,

Susie

HELLO, I forgot I wrote this post! Sorry for late reply!

Thank you both for your very clear answers!! I was very confused on "structure"- my teacher never told us anything on structure, and so I assumed it would be like my society and culture major report, which has three chapters with different themes. So sorry for the confusion! I definitely get what I'm supposed to do now. Thanks!  :-*
Mel | 18 | history hoe | 1st in cafs year 11 | cafs dropout

english advanced / visual arts / society and culture / modern history / extension history / sor1 / TVET human services