Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 01:36:00 pm

Author Topic: Plan to put police in at-risk schools  (Read 4759 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Plan to put police in at-risk schools
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 03:19:57 pm »
+1
So we have police officers come in and give talks to a year level about specific issues (in highschool) but I'm unaware of anything where police officers would be there for a purpose other than giving a talk or responding to an incident

Exactly right I suppose, the system is yet to be introduced. I wonder if the program in Victoria is a police liaison program that's system-organised across the state or if it is specific schools asking community police to address issues on an ad hoc basis? Either way, I'm just speculating about what the programs in the other states are that Victoria doesn't have, according to the article.

I don't know that in NSW anywhere we have police stationed at schools on a permanent basis.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

DBA-144

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 04:23:20 pm »
The people who truly are at high risk will probably not come to school.
The people who are feeling disconnected and thus committing anti social behaviour will feel even more margianlised. They will feel at least as if the police are there to discriminate against them and to stop them from hurting their friends or clsssmates.

Also, I think that this is more to protect the Liberal party's views of a conservative australia. In fact, thise who vote for Liberal party probably live far far away from the at risk school. It seems they simply wish to create a safer, prrhaps whiter society in their minds.

Please note: i do not intend to be racist, i simply wish to facilitate discussion a bit more and hence am adding my 2 cents. Thats all.
PM me for Methods (raw 46) and Chemistry (raw 48) resources (notes, practice SACs, etc.)

I also offer tutoring for these subjects, units 1-4 :)

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 04:25:54 pm »
The people who are feeling disconnected and thus committing anti social behaviour will feel even more margianlised. They will feel at least as if the police are there to discriminate against them and to stop them from hurting their friends or clsssmates.

Also, I think that this is more to protect the Liberal party's views of a conservative australia. In fact, thise who vote for Liberal party probably live far far away from the at risk school. It seems they simply wish to create a safer, prrhaps whiter society in their minds.

Please note: i do not intend to be racist, i simply wish to facilitate discussion a bit more and hence am adding my 2 cents. Thats all.
That’s just race  baiting :p (making everything about race )

If the liberal party wanted to ban “non whites “, they’d resurrect the white Australia policy.

I don’t think this is about race at all.

How does having police create a whiter Australia? Crime isn’t limited to “white “ people ( or insert any other race )
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:28:08 pm by EEEEEEP »

DBA-144

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 04:30:48 pm »
Well, hasnt every recent resurgence in crime been about race or ethnicity?
PM me for Methods (raw 46) and Chemistry (raw 48) resources (notes, practice SACs, etc.)

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 04:35:51 pm »
+5
Hey guys, just a reminder to keep things both on-topic and respectful. We're discussing the article in question, not how race relates to crime. We can only keep having these discussions if we remain civil and don't make assumptions on behalf of others.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 04:40:47 pm »

Yes and no , but you can’t just say that A must result in B, because B happened after A.

In debating , I think it’s called a logical fallacy.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 04:49:56 pm »
+4
@E6P  You were saying before that you approve the the idea due to promoting a secure, safe school environment and that members of the police force may be able to guide kids back on track. Do you think this would happen at a whole school level or through conversations with individuals (or something else)?

@DBA  Do you think that there is a more effective way in which this could be approached?

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 05:01:35 pm »
@E6P  You were saying before that you approve the the idea due to promoting a secure, safe school environment and that members of the police force may be able to guide kids back on track. Do you think this would happen at a whole school level or through conversations with individuals (or something else)?

@DBA  Do you think that there is a more effective way in which this could be approached?
I’m thinking more like undercover people that kinda pose and act as mentors.

They would try and think/ imagine themselves in the life as a teen.

Individual basis ^^

Nor would they refer to the self as the police :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 05:03:25 pm »
+2

No.

But you're not off the mark with this sentence. That's not to say students who are at risk aren't in schools, they often are. And they should be involved in social crime prevention. But there is a correlation between lack of school attendance and crime commission. Fortunately there are other social crime prevention measures in place at even earlier stages (but this varies across states and the effectiveness of it is also varied).
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

DBA-144

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 05:04:41 pm »
Miniturtle: yes i do. Its time to stop the media from portraying these ethnicities or even describing them like tall enter race criminal. As we know, we are talking high school kids and rhese people have half their social lives on line. The reason that police cannot be presemt at school is because it makes these youths feel as if all the pressure is on them and that they are the reason the police are there. Or it could have the effect of the students just trying to completely seclude the offficers. Remember these are high risk schools and not just high risk people.

A better way is to target home environment, by targeting this, youths have a positive reinforcement as they are encouraged to act positively at home and hence also extending this to the community. Most troubled youths have troubled home environments.

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 05:40:15 pm »
+3
I think a full time cop at a school in full fluro and a gun is not a good idea, but someone whose technically a police officer (went through the academy etc) but has a support role (eg;counselor, psychologist, community liaison) would be OK. Keep in mind there thousands of cops who work in support roles and are not on the front lines with a gun every day (but went to the academy and are trained to) . Im pretty sure that's what they're planning, because an actual cop at school patrolling would be really dumb. I know so many kids from year 7 and 8 who wouldve been jailed and had their whole life fucked up if this was a thing back then, for getting caught with a machete or jumping someone etc. and most of them grew out of that phase. But to be fair there were alot of situations that the teachers shouldn'tve had to handle and were definitely better suited for police to break up.

But I think a cop there as a counsellor or something most of the time (but also able and trained to handle bad situations) would be good. I think it's better to have someone whose a cop break up a fight when you have eight testosterone fuelled 15 year olds trying to beat the fk out of someone, rather than leave the job to your 60 year old geography teacher. I also assume the police mandate at these schools will be much more of a pastoral role and to help placate dangerous situations to be sorted out by the school later once things are resolved. They won't be arresting people for little things every day, but will try to keep order and break things up so that things can be sorted with the students long term welfare in mind. At least that's what my expectation is. It probably isn't worth the resources though and opportunity cost of deploying someone at the school instead of somewhere else.

DBA-144

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2018, 06:01:16 pm »
Yes i agree that thats what will most likely happen. However, there are wellbeing officers at schools but many students either dont know or just dont want to go to them. Also, i would like to extend my sincere apologies if my comments about this issue have offended or hurt anyone. That definitely wasnt why i wrote them. Again sorry if anyone has felt this way.