Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 11:02:54 pm

Author Topic: Becoming successful In preliminary??  (Read 1096 times)

KingTings

• MOTM: JULY 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
  • Respect: +15
Becoming successful In preliminary??
« on: February 17, 2018, 09:35:56 pm »
Hey guys, Kris here! First post  ;D
So I'm currently a couple weeks in year 11 and have been hyping myself up for the HSC by binge watching atar reactions lol. I'm currently doing Ext. English, Adv. Maths, Business Studies, Economics, Physics and Chemistry. I feel quite competitive at the moment though I don't really feel smart. I don't know how to correctly write notes and 'study' though I really want to get ahead. I go to quite a disadvantaged school (ranked 300ish) so I feel pressured to do perfect or else I won't get those desired marks. Can someone give an insight on how they coped and became successful during year 11??
Thanks in advance  :D
HSC 2019
Business Studies - Economics - Physics - English Adv. - Maths Adv.

ATAR:
Aim = 92+, Actual = 97.1 ;D

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Becoming successful In preliminary??
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 10:02:42 pm »
+5
hi, welcome to the forums!

year 11 is an awesome year - i hope you're enjoying it so far, especially because you're doing subjects you've chosen. :-)

as for the stuff you mentioned...
- notes: here's where you try things out, and find out what works best for you! the basic syllabus dot point format is a tried and true method that works for heaps of people. there isn't a correct way to write them - what works for you, works for you. :-)
- study: everyone works differently, so it's important to find what works for you. do you work better in short bursts, or for extended periods of time? past papers? writing notes? we all absorb content differently.
- dealing with pressure: at the end of the day, year 11 is a trial run for you to figure out how you study and work best. i always kept this mindset to make sure i didn't push myself too hard, or put my expectations too high. it doesn't matter if you go to a 'disadvantaged' school, because you never know what could happen. :-) if you're feeling pressured, think of any goals you have (dream course? just want to finish school?) because it might seem hard, but imagine yourself at the end of your journey!

hope this helps :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Becoming successful In preliminary??
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 11:10:51 am »
+3
Welcome to the forums Kris! Lots of stuff I could say that could be helpful, instead why don't you look at the HSC Articles in this database, there is a heap of great stuff in there to help you throughout Year 11+12!

Don't stress too much about Year 11 though! Focus on developing good habits ;D