Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 11, 2024, 07:20:50 am

Author Topic: In what circumstance, if any, is if okay to forge part of your 120 driving hrs?  (Read 4735 times)  Share 

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
None.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
Initial instinct: "that's not okay, and the number has been set for a reason."

EDIT: Of course, morality isn't necessarily this black and white, but that was my initial reaction.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
None.

Agree. I think the numbers are reasonable.

HOWEVER - I do have concerns for those that perhaps don't have an adult at home that can supervise their driving (or can afford a qualified instructor). There are some programs with volunteers (I can't even think of the name...).

I was fortunate enough when I was learning to drive that I had grandparents that supported me with my driving because Mum was working every day until late at night. For some, that luxury definitely isn't there and we have to recognise that. Again... the issue of $$$ comes into play when we start talking about instructors. Particularly those in low socioeconomic areas (which is how i've grown up so paying for an instructor wasn't practical).

I know I clocked up quite a number of hours doing a trip along the Hume to the NSW border (Albury/Wodonga) and back a few times. That was around 6-7 hours in total per trip there and back.

I guess the question we should be asking is: how can we support those 16-17 year olds on their learners permit that don't have a supervisor for either financial/lack of access reasons?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 03:58:07 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
It's definitely tempting, especially for kiddies in single-parent households or if they don't have any parents for to get that amount of hours, because that's a damn long time.

But that doesn't make it okay, and I don't think it should be done. As nice as it'd be to skip and get a license early, there's an obligation to other people on the road to not be a fuckwit -- ensuring you have the requisitie skillset is a part of that.

I guess the question we should be asking is: how can we support those 16-17 year olds on their learners permit that don't have a supervisor for either financial/lack of access reasons?

I know my local council has a program. Pretty sure most councils have something similar. I'm in the program, and it's pretty handy, but the ratio of volunteers--students is absurd. It's very difficult to rely on this for all 120 hours.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Quote from: Calebark
I know my local council has a program. Pretty sure most councils have something similar. I'm in the program, and it's pretty handy, but the ratio of volunteers--students is absurd. It's very difficult to rely on this for all 120 hours.
I totally agree. I know somebody who got their L's at 16 and still had it at 20 (with barely any hours) because parents were always working, rest of family living overseas and couldn't afford an instructor. They did a few lessons but it definitely makes it difficult if you don't have the luxury of money or a parent/carer at home..

And tbh the last thing parents want to be doing is supervising their child drive (as the focus has to be pretty much the same as driving yourself due to the inexperienced learner) when they come home from a 8-12 hour day at work... so it definitely makes it tough to get the hours. By no means am I saying forge the hours, just saying it's impractical for some to get the genuine 120.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:08:30 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
Why is a 20 year old with 95 hours less reliable than a 21 year old with 10 hours, all of which were with a driving instructor and dedicated towards passing the test?

17 year olds in WA only need 25 hours 💁‍♂️

Joseph41

• Administrator
Why is a 20 year old with 95 hours less reliable than a 21 year old with 10 hours, all of which were with a driving instructor and dedicated towards passing the test?

17 year olds in WA only need 25 hours 💁‍♂️

I think that's answering a different question to the one posed in the OP, though.

Joseph41

• Administrator
Very interesting question, as others have pointed out it's not 100% black and white ... Another point to consider, kind of leading on from this:  , is that once you're over 21, the 120, the hours aren't required (https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/your-ps/get-your-ps/preparing-for-your-licence-test/120-hours-driving-experience , checked to make sure rules hadn't changed :P ) ... So why does age mean you're exempt, and if so what's the difference between someone under that age if they're not going to do anything stupid and genuinely need a licence. Kind of going off on a tangent here, but are they kind of implying by this rule that 21+ Y.Os are more responsible, and if so is that discrimination...?

As somebody 21+ who is currently learning how to drive (no licence), my personal view is that the 120+ hours should still apply.

(Not sure if this view will remain consistent as I become more experienced.)

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
As somebody 21+ who is currently learning how to drive (no licence), my personal view is that the 120+ hours should still apply.

(Not sure if this view will remain consistent as I become more experienced.)

Agreed - the government has set the number of hours for a reason.
The requirements are there to make our roads as safe as possible and, no matter how tempted I myself might get to forge sometimes (because yes, in some family situations, driving on L's is just plain difficult), this covers a large range of situations and skills needed when driving solo. Drivers with thousands of hours make mistakes all the time - it's not about convenience, it's about maximising the safety of yourself and the community - and a little bit of common sense.
(you could argue that Victoria's a nanny state and the hours should be dropped to WA standards, but tbh what would you prefer? Higher accident rates or a longer time learning?) Here's a link to a 2017 article on the stats.

edit: sorry if I offended anyone, I am very tight when it comes to laws (it's the German blood)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:18:31 pm by secretly_a_poet »
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
Very interesting question, as others have pointed out it's not 100% black and white ... Another point to consider, kind of leading on from this:  , is that once you're over 21, the 120, the hours aren't required (https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/your-ps/get-your-ps/preparing-for-your-licence-test/120-hours-driving-experience , checked to make sure rules hadn't changed :P ) ... So why does age mean you're exempt, and if so what's the difference between someone under that age if they're not going to do anything stupid and genuinely need a licence. Kind of going off on a tangent here, but are they kind of implying by this rule that 21+ Y.Os are more responsible, and if so is that discrimination...?
Your brain is still developing in your teens and some parts don't become fully developed until ~25 years so yes on average someone older will take less risks and more likely able to control their impulses. Although very important to learn early (16-25) in order to make driving 2nd nature imo.

As for 120 hours idk most people can get pretty comfortable driving once they get to maybe 50 hours, assuming they drive in different environments and not just one route,  however after this arrogance and overconfidence is probably the worst issue.

I'm still somewhere around 40- 60 hours. Have barely driven lately tho :P

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
To answer the original question - I think it's morally justifiable if the learner has driven well over 200 hours supervised but for some reason or another the hours were not logged at the time of completion and they have to make up for it in the logbook. If you haven't done the hours and forge your logbook then you are jeapordising the lives of everyone on the road. But if you did WELL above the 120 hour limit and there are a heap of unlogged drives then I think it is morally okay although legally not. eg: after the first  20 hours of driving or so (all logged) you finish a drive with your dad and say "oh crap dad you didn't give me back my logbook after you signed it last week" and he says "don't worry mate I'll fill it out" and he takes a picture of the odometer and you go inside and the next week he says he'll do the same thing and then after doing 3 hours of driving every weekend from 16 to 18 plus some road trips you say "okay dad I'm booked in for my P's pass my logbook" and it turns out he never filled it out after any of those 3 hour sessions and you have done roughly 300 hours of driving and it's not accounted for and your test is in 3 days and you are booked in to do it 2 hours away because that's the only place that can do it so soon as your parents are going away on holidays the next week and you need to drive your grandma to her doctors appointments then I wouldn't have any moral objections to the forgery in this case. But you should still just get it together and fill out the hours when you do the driving and do 120 hours.

EDITS: Hit post before finishing typing woops
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:46:49 pm by spectroscopy »

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
What if you'd done 118 hours and couldn't be fucked with the other 3? If 50% of those hours was with a high-quality driving instructor, are you more irresponsible than someone at 121 hours who still felt shaky?

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
What if you'd done 118 hours and couldn't be fucked with the other 3? If 50% of those hours was with a high-quality driving instructor, are you more irresponsible than someone at 121 hours who still felt shaky?
I get what you’re saying, the person who drove 3 less hours would be better !

Hours doesn’t determine skill at driving all the time , but in general it does :)

Accidents went down by 37% after the 120 hour rule was introduced .

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790

The law is the law.
What if you applied this philosophy to WA drivers? "Ah, can't be fucked with doing a whole 25 hours, might as well cut it back to 20, I'll be fine".
It's still irresponsible and wrong, and tbh I think someone should take all the learning experience they can, no matter how comfortable they feel in the driver's seat.
Cars are giant metal death machines. I don't want an up-himself teenager crashing into me and killing me just because he couldn't be stuffed with a couple of hours in a log book.
It's that simple.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating