Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 06, 2024, 02:28:49 am

Author Topic: Your ultimate school holiday structure  (Read 716 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Your ultimate school holiday structure
« on: October 03, 2018, 02:25:05 pm »
+5
At the moment, we roughly go 4x10 week terms, with two-week breaks in the middle, and a longer time off at the end of the year.

But what if it weren't this way?

If you could change things to have four weeks on, one week off (as holidays), would you do it? Would you try to go through the entire year and then have ALL of your holidays at the end?

What do you think? :D

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Your ultimate school holiday structure
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 02:34:06 pm »
+3
4-day school week, shave off term 1 and 3 holidays. Keep summer holidays and Term 2 holidays.

Whether I'd think differently as a high school student rather than somebody who's been through school, uni and now a teacher.. I dunno.

Keeping in mind this would significantly disadvantage me as a teacher given I need those holidays to unwind & plan, but that to me seems logical from a student point of view.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: Your ultimate school holiday structure
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 02:34:59 pm »
+3
I think that having the long break at the end of the year is important. Once you get to VCE holidays between terms aren't really holidays. It's not always intense revision the whole time, but I don't really think you can truly just relax and forget school for the two weeks either (like you can at the end of the year).

I'm normally fine with term 1, but I find term 2 and 3 really drag on. I think I'd like to have an extra break in the middle of those terms maybe? Like a 4 day weekend (fri/sat/sun/mon) or something?

I don't think I'd want 4 weeks on/1 week off because I think you'd either be doing a whole lot of stop and starting kind of thing or you'd end up not really relaxing in the one week off (and you'd probably end up with lots of SACs in the same week haha)
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra