Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 12, 2024, 01:27:36 am

Author Topic: WIT AND DONNE FORM please help (desperate)  (Read 840 times)

steviemay2000

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
WIT AND DONNE FORM please help (desperate)
« on: October 14, 2018, 11:15:30 am »
Hey guys so I have an essay question on how the different forms of Donnes poetry and Edson's post modern play bring to light the values of their respective contexts....
I am so stuck on what to talk about the only ideas I've got it that:
- Donne's use of sonnet form and the Volta
- Breaking of the fourth wall in Brechtian theatre form of Edson's play.. does this express the humanist views of the 20th century as she can decide what she can control her life??

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
Re: WIT AND DONNE FORM please help (desperate)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 06:20:40 pm »
+1
Hey guys so I have an essay question on how the different forms of Donnes poetry and Edson's post modern play bring to light the values of their respective contexts....
I am so stuck on what to talk about the only ideas I've got it that:
- Donne's use of sonnet form and the Volta
- Breaking of the fourth wall in Brechtian theatre form of Edson's play.. does this express the humanist views of the 20th century as she can decide what she can control her life??

Can you write the actual question?

For Donne:
- The Petrarchan Sonnet form intellectualises his emotion about the state of his soul and salvation (death was much more prevalent in Donne's context). Eg 'if poysonous minerals' 'At the round earths imagin'd corners'
- Bold starts, reaches moments of reflection (volta) such as in 'if poysonous minerals' through a tone of the present moment in "here on this lowly ground"
- The secular poems such as The Sunne Rising convey Elizabethan views of romance. Uses conceits - "shine here to us, and thou art everywhere" to show the love and sun becoming one. The lover's bedroom is the world therefore his love is the universe

W;t:
- Vivian's personal experience of illness and death forces her to engage with the values and ideas of life, death, redemption, salvation, relationships in Donne's poetry
- Vivian reaches her own volta like moment, choosing to "just let is stop." Conveys her journey into death as a moment of beauty, simplicity and "crossing the seemingly insuperable barriers separating life, death and eternal life"
- Donne's values of salvation and divine love are reimagined on the human level through a postmodern secular context as Vivian learns the importance of relationships and need for redemption - contrast of Jason in pursuit of research and intellect in contrast to Susie who connects on the level of the patient's emotional and physical needs
- Breaking the fourth wall (metathreatre, reflective of Edson's postmodern context) blurs the lines between the staged and common experience, creating the Donne-like conceit that life is a play as Vivian comes to terms of the parallel human issues in Donne's poetry through personal experience
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2