Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 11, 2024, 03:13:15 am

Author Topic: Mod B Yeats: specifying poems?  (Read 474 times)

Lilabear123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Mod B Yeats: specifying poems?
« on: October 16, 2018, 12:05:59 am »
Hey guys,

With english approaching so soon, i'm in a bit of a dilemma on how to approach mod b. Mod b is the only essay which i'm going in without a memorised essay, but even just memorising quotes and techniques for all the poems is quite difficult. I was looking through past questions and i noticed that the poems which have been specified so far are; Among school children, Easter 1916, Wild Swans at Coole and Second Coming. I'm ruling ASC out since that's been asked twice, with last year being the 2nd time.

I'm thinking that they might ask one of the poems which haven't been specified yet? I'm really worried about Second Coming though, it's the one i like/understand least, and it was specified way back in 2012 so possibility of repeat? I feel like it mgiht be either Irish Airman and Leda and the Swan, both which i'm fine with. i find the simplicity of When You Are Old difficult though, as i feel like there aren't as man ways to analyse/interpret.

Just wondering what youre thought/recommendations may be on the specified text. Also, i'm really nervous going into Mod B without a prepped essay, any advice on how to improvise on the day? There are so many ideas in Yeats' poetry, i feel like i'm going to spend ages during the exam just trying to grapple with them and picking out the ones which suit the question.

Thanks!!! :)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: Mod B Yeats: specifying poems?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 12:19:30 am »
+2
Hey there,
Unfortunately Mod B is that module where you're required to over-prepare and use like, half of what you've prepared- which sucks. I'm someone who doesn't walk into the exam with prepared responses, so what I usually do is I allocate quotes to themes of the poem so it would be easier for me to choose 2 poems. Plus, it's less for me to memorise- I find it easier to memorise quotes than memorise full essays. Considering how there are a lot of ideas Yeats explores, narrow the themes down to 3 themes per poem and find common themes- this will become kinda like an essay plan, without a question to refer to and a thesis.

If you're not comfortable with one of the poems, at least know some of the quotes so you have something to work from. My teacher suggested that if you're uncomfortable with the prescribed poem, analyse 3 poems so you still analyse the prescribed poem but you're relating that poem with other poems- plus, you can add more word count by doing so.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Lilabear123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Mod B Yeats: specifying poems?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 01:03:55 am »
Hey there,
Unfortunately Mod B is that module where you're required to over-prepare and use like, half of what you've prepared- which sucks. I'm someone who doesn't walk into the exam with prepared responses, so what I usually do is I allocate quotes to themes of the poem so it would be easier for me to choose 2 poems. Plus, it's less for me to memorise- I find it easier to memorise quotes than memorise full essays. Considering how there are a lot of ideas Yeats explores, narrow the themes down to 3 themes per poem and find common themes- this will become kinda like an essay plan, without a question to refer to and a thesis.

If you're not comfortable with one of the poems, at least know some of the quotes so you have something to work from. My teacher suggested that if you're uncomfortable with the prescribed poem, analyse 3 poems so you still analyse the prescribed poem but you're relating that poem with other poems- plus, you can add more word count by doing so.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice!! I'll definetly try that out. Best of luck for your exams!